Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

CAD Files

Old 01-20-2016, 10:02 AM
Truck Noob
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XSoph
I'm planning to trace all the 2D materials I can find in AutoCAD, then use that for underlaying the 3D modeling in inventor. I'd like to model individual parts as I go and Inventor is specifically made for that kind of modeling.
this seems like you are adding an extra step. why not model it in 3d to begin with?

Old 01-20-2016, 10:32 AM
XSoph
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Truck Noob
this seems like you are adding an extra step. why not model it in 3d to begin with?
I have much more experience in AutoCAD and I know I can crank out a 2D drawing in no time. I have less experience with Inventor, so I was planning to use this project as a skills booster. It's also less tedious for me to project 3D models from 2D source materials when I already have lots of digital snap points and linework to project from. It's just a preference I've developed working in AutoCAD, 3DS Max, Inventor, Sketchup, etc.

It's kinda like the difference between cutting and sewing your F100's seat upholstery freehand or starting with a pattern.

I'm not quite freehand level in Inventor, yet, so I will make a pattern first.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:35 AM
XSoph
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Jeremy Kamutzki
Ahh, good thought. I'll see if there's a good way to do that.

Ok, let's try this... Anyone with the link can VIEW (and download files from) the folder.... If you want to edit (I think this includes adding files) you must have your email added by me to get editing permission.

I have set the permissions as above - It seems that I can download the files, but not upload any - can you try and confirm this? If that works, we can effectively limit the changing of the files by granting editing permission only to FTE members who PM me their email address.
Yup. Works as you intended. I can view, but not upload.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:39 AM
Jeremy Kamutzki
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yup. Works as you intended. I can view, but not upload.
Ok, cool deal. So, if you (or anyone else) want access to upload, you just need to PM me with your email address.

What I'm thinking is that if you dont' have cloud storage/don't want to bother to set it up, I don't mind hosting it on my Drive. If, however, you do have storage and just want to toss a link up here to your file, that's great too.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:43 AM
XSoph
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Jeremy Kamutzki
Ok, cool deal. So, if you (or anyone else) want access to upload, you just need to PM me with your email address.

What I'm thinking is that if you dont' have cloud storage/don't want to bother to set it up, I don't mind hosting it on my Drive. If, however, you do have storage and just want to toss a link up here to your file, that's great too.
Sounds good. People can toss there links on here and you and I could aggregate them in to one place. Maybe there could be a sticky at the top of this thread for the overall file collection links.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:44 AM
XSoph
More Turbo
I would also be willing to generate scale PDFs so people can print out parts drawings at home.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:55 AM
Jeremy Kamutzki
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds good. People can toss there links on here and you and I could aggregate them in to one place. Maybe there could be a sticky at the top of this thread for the overall file collection links.
I would also be willing to generate scale PDFs so people can print out parts drawings at home.
Yeah, I like that idea. How would we get a sticky?

And good call on the PDF's - we can just pair them with the .DWG files. Provides a coupla options.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:58 AM
XSoph
More Turbo
No Idea on the sticky. We probably have to produce some useful stuff before the forum Mods hop on this and glue us up.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:52 PM
Truck Noob
Junior User
I have much more experience in AutoCAD and I know I can crank out a 2D drawing in no time. I have less experience with Inventor, so I was planning to use this project as a skills booster. It's also less tedious for me to project 3D models from 2D source materials when I already have lots of digital snap points and linework to project from. It's just a preference I've developed working in AutoCAD, 3DS Max, Inventor, Sketchup, etc.

It's kinda like the difference between cutting and sewing your F100's seat upholstery freehand or starting with a pattern.

I'm not quite freehand level in Inventor, yet, so I will make a pattern first.
ok.
i am a 3D Mechanical Drafter so i can help if you'd like.
i use Solidworks but have some experience with Inventor and ProE.
if you want, make the 2D files and send them to me. i can create the 3D models and send them back.
i'd love to have cad files for these trucks. it will be great to mock up suspensions virtually to see how to make it work and how well it would work.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:57 PM
XSoph
More Turbo
I'll post up the 2D stuff as I get it drafted. Thanks!

Old 01-20-2016, 06:43 PM
mmoe
Junior User
I would recommend that those who do not have a CAD application at home, or have not yet learned to use one, to try out Autodesk Fusion. It's similar to Inventor and to a lesser degree Solidworks, but they give hobbyists a free license to use it for as long as you like. You just download it, install it, then apply for a hobby license. You can also generate G-code from it to cut parts out on CNC machines.

I just finished installing a Holley 4412 in my '74 Camper Special (F250 with 390) and needed to replace the 1" stock riser plate with something that didn't have the exhaust crossover stuff. The original had corroded through from the exhaust crossover. Using Fusion, I modeled a set of three 1/4" riser plates (2 aluminum and 1 phenolic) which I then cut out with my CNC router using scraps. Works great so far, but lots of tuning to do still!

Here's the Fusion workspace:

Edit: Forgot to mention that Fusion is a cloud storage based system but you still work off of your local computer. The advantage in this case is that you can invite others onto your project and they can collaborate on the same project. You could have 100 or more people (in theory) working on creating an accurate model, and they could work together in real time discussing the same model from their own computers. For a project like modeling an entire truck accurately, this would probably be the way to go, though I'm sure there would be debate about what is correct and what isn't!

Old 01-22-2016, 05:02 PM
XSoph
More Turbo
Can someone with a SWB f100 2wd go out and measure the spacing at the rear end of their frame? I've got a SC LWB frame so it won't be the same. The dimensions in this drawing don't quite add up. I need the outer dimensions for the rear frame ends and the offset for the bumper bolts. Thanks.