1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you pay for a manual transmission?
Heck no, it was always cheaper and it should be if they bring it back
43.88%
Heck yes! I'd pay anything to get it back!
22.78%
Maybe to an extent, $500-1500, but let's not get crazy here
28.69%
Why doesn't an aftermarket company fill the gap Ford created
4.64%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Manual Transmissions in 2014+

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 10:01 PM
6-speed
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would gladly pay for a manual, infact ford could make them the same price as the auto. Right now its listed as a "forced" option with the price on the sticker anyway. So take the figure away and just charge the same for each truck, no matter what the tranny. I have had 5 of these crappy slush boxes. 05 for two 06 ford, an 08 ford and the 2012 dodge I have now. All suck in the way that they can not predict road conditions, they can only react after the fact. Hill, speed slows or pedal goes down, tranny down shifts. Same for passing, climbing, off-roading, hill decends, ALL OF IT. The other reason ford sold so few manuals is because they faded them out by only putting them in lower level trucks. The manual is for a guy who wants it for himself, not a work truck for his crew to drive. I have 6 tow trucks, I dont drive any of them...They are all autos, not buying a manual for the dip sticks to drive and tear up. Me for my personal truck, I would love a king ranch SRW longbed manual trans, manual hubs. LOVE IT!!! Ford dont make it, ford dont make the manual anymore, I have a dodge...It was nearly 9k cheaper!!! After all was said and done, and yes its auto, but thats because it was there, and my 6.0 was done, I was back to work the next day.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:55 AM
tmaglin
Freshman User
Originally Posted by bpounds
As I've said numerous times when this topic comes up, I believe it had more to do with emissions than it did with sales. But they are not going to tell us the real story, so it is anyone's guess.

We should probably be blaming the government instead of Ford.
Actually, blame it on the public. The largest percentage of pickup trucks on the road are driven as pleasure vehicles rather than as work vehicles. Many people don't know how to drive a manual transmission. All I can say is you can replace several clutches for the cost of an automatic.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:23 AM
Lucas99
New User
wow nice read!

Old 05-31-2012, 07:04 AM
GVS
Senior User
I won't go so far as to say I hate auto x/missions but I dislike not being unable to choose a manual if I want, and particularly in a work vehicle.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:29 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
When I lived in the US, I flew to Phoenix to buy my truck, because it was the closest one where I could find a stick-shift.

I will try wherever possible to avoid owning an automatic, and particularly if it is a truck, so yes, I would happily pay for the option... even if it is cheaper to produce.
Where I live now, any of the vehicles that compete with the SuperDuty (LandCruiser and Patrol chassis-cab's) are only available with a manual transmission.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:01 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Grew up on manuals and had landrovers, etc. when in the middle east... so I've been ther done that --- and IMHO, don't want to go back....

memories of heavy loads stopped on an uphill are NOT fond memories for me or the clutch/tranny

but to each his own - just good luck finding it as soon, no one will build it unless you do.

Stunned over the control with the new 6 speed auto with manual mode on the new 250!
and the 8 speed auto in the wife's Audi has basically a manual mode too,
so I can have it in any gear I want to lug or over rev the engine !!!

Old 05-31-2012, 09:24 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
It may have been stated in an earlier post, but I believe the manual transmissions are on the way out, even for performance cars. What should be available in the Super Duty is a "paddle shifter" on the steering wheel that allows the driver to select any gear while driving.

When doing daily driving, you can allow the 6-speed Torqshift to operate as a normal automatic transmission. When towing, you can select the appropriate gear using the paddle shifter for optimal performance. This is the best of both worlds!

Old 05-31-2012, 12:52 PM
1995droptopz
Freshman User
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I love manual transmissions in general. I would drive any passenger car or performance truck with a manual, and in most cases I will not even consider a car because it does not come in a manual.

However, when it comes to HD trucks, I have no desire to own a manual. I use my truck to plow snow and I plan to tow a boat with it. While I have never plowed with a manual, I cannot imagine it is easy to launch a manual on snow and ice while trying to move heavy snow. I have tried pulling boats out of the water on steep launches with a manual before. It sucks, and with my old 2wd manual I had to set the parking brake and launch with it engaged. It was either that or roll back into the water.

Also, I am willing to bet a lot of the reasons for deleting the manual option besides the small number of buyers is the added engineering cost. Many of the advanced functions used in today's diesel engines for emissions, drivability and harshness are drivetrain dependent. So if they have a second transmission, then there is a second calibration that must be developed. And due to the nature of the manual, this calibration can be more time intensive.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:05 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
For me, manual trans is the only way to go. Although I would not want to pay more for it, I would if available.
As stated before, the ONLY real draw back to a manual trans is having to utilise the E brake frequently. Even I don't fully trust mine. I usually turn the engine off and put in first. Iv never had any trouble starting on hills with trailers. That sounds like operator error.

I'm sorry but all other complaints having to do with manuals are simply cheap and cheesy.
Don't want to sound mean here, but there was a lot of whine to go with the cheese on some previous posts.

I do agree with the reasoning behind Ford discontinuing the manuals. I believe people have been getting more and more lazy.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:28 PM
6-speed
New User
Originally Posted by FordGuy85
For me, manual trans is the only way to go. Although I would not want to pay more for it, I would if available.
As stated before, the ONLY real draw back to a manual trans is having to utilise the E brake frequently. Even I don't fully trust mine. I usually turn the engine off and put in first. Iv never had any trouble starting on hills with trailers. That sounds like operator error.

I'm sorry but all other complaints having to do with manuals are simply cheap and cheesy.
Don't want to sound mean here, but there was a lot of whine to go with the cheese on some previous posts.

I do agree with the reasoning behind Ford discontinuing the manuals. I believe people have been getting more and more lazy.
ford guy, you are right no doubt. People are lazy, and Ford is only looking at their bottom line and not what the customer want. Most salesmen out there dont even know what we use the trucks for. here in FL I know of three dealers in particular that females in their 20's do the ordering from a Ford issued "dealer stock" guide. Trust me this is true because you can go from dealer to dealer and see almost the exact same thing, and the same color. I have had salesmen tell me things like camper package does not exist, and off road package is standard and you can only get a long bed if its a dually. This is the reason for this crap. Dealers order junk, and ford and the dealer has to discount the crap out of them to move them. I will not buy another ford unless they come back witht he manual. And not some sissy paddle shift video game garbage either. And yes operator error on the part where some one cant take off on a hill...or the vehicle was pulling WAY to much weight.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:23 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 6-speed
I would gladly pay for a manual, infact ford could make them the same price as the auto. Right now its listed as a "forced" option with the price on the sticker anyway. So take the figure away and just charge the same for each truck, no matter what the tranny. I have had 5 of these crappy slush boxes. 05 for two 06 ford, an 08 ford and the 2012 dodge I have now. All suck in the way that they can not predict road conditions, they can only react after the fact. Hill, speed slows or pedal goes down, tranny down shifts. Same for passing, climbing, off-roading, hill decends, ALL OF IT. The other reason ford sold so few manuals is because they faded them out by only putting them in lower level trucks. The manual is for a guy who wants it for himself, not a work truck for his crew to drive. I have 6 tow trucks, I dont drive any of them...They are all autos, not buying a manual for the dip sticks to drive and tear up. Me for my personal truck, I would love a king ranch SRW longbed manual trans, manual hubs. LOVE IT!!! Ford dont make it, ford dont make the manual anymore, I have a dodge...It was nearly 9k cheaper!!! After all was said and done, and yes its auto, but thats because it was there, and my 6.0 was done, I was back to work the next day.
Originally Posted by 6-speed
ford guy, you are right no doubt. People are lazy, and Ford is only looking at their bottom line and not what the customer's want. Most salesmen out there dont even know what we use the trucks for. here in FL I know of three dealers in particular that females in their 20's do the ordering from a Ford issued "dealer stock" guide. Trust me this is true because you can go from dealer to dealer and see almost the exact same thing, and the same color. I have had salesmen tell me things like camper package does not exist, and off road package is standard and you can only get a long bed if its a dually. This is the reason for this crap. Dealers order junk, and ford and the dealer has to discount the crap out of them to move them. I will not buy another ford unless they come back witht he manual. And not some sissy paddle shift video game garbage either. And yes operator error on the part where some one cant take off on a hill...or the vehicle was pulling WAY to much weight.
Let it go man... Time to move on and accept the fact that the manual is gone, go enjoy your Dodge. By the way, have you driven an '11+ SD yet? Lots of flexibility with the new transmission... Check it out if you haven't.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:34 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
I'm always amused by these threads. If you look back over this one as an example, most of those who say they will never buy another Ford because there is no manual transmission, are driving older trucks that they bought used. Not everyone, but by far the majority. So for them, here is a clue - Ford doesn't care what you think because you don't buy their new trucks.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:38 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Furian
.... What should be available in the Super Duty is a "paddle shifter" on the steering wheel that allows the driver to select any gear while driving.

When doing daily driving, you can allow the 6-speed Torqshift to operate as a normal automatic transmission. When towing, you can select the appropriate gear using the paddle shifter for optimal performance. This is the best of both worlds!

You must not have seen a 2011+ 6 speed then !

it's not a paddle shifter (which is too many working parts IMHO) but it is a + and - on the shift lever that allows selection and control of the 6 speed however you want (within reason )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTlrObOQ0_A

Old 05-31-2012, 07:55 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
I understand why many want automatics. Still don't understand why they would ever quit making a manual option. Iv read every post here. Just still not convinced. I think its dumb.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:01 PM
2008fordguy
Senior User
this thread reminds me of the arguments of the early 90's when motorcycles were just getting fuel injection. most wanted the new technology for performance gains and fuel economy gains, but there were folks like you "old guys" that just couldnt believe they were doing away with carbs.

get over it! if you want a manual trans, buy a corvette you grey haired, slow poke, grumpy *******s!

Quick Reply: Manual Transmissions in 2014+