Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Possible move to Tulsa

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:46 AM
Planetek7
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible move to Tulsa

Hello. Just wondered if anyone on here might live in or around Tulsa. Possibility exists that I may have to move there for a job opportunity. Looking for general info, especially if you might happen to be in the aviation industry there. Thanks.

Eric

Old 12-01-2011, 10:10 AM
jwtimme
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I live west of tulsa about 20 miles near sapulpa, most of the aviation stuff is on the north side which I will not live in north tulsa again, but a little farther north is owasso which is nice communiy and only about 15 min from tulsa international. there are several members that live in owasso. I like where I live because its in the country but only 30 min from tulsa.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 AM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome Eric.
Owasso is a great expanding community. Lots of Aviation workers up here. Broken Arrow is also supposed to be a decent city and is larger than Owasso. Both cities have city and rural living.

Just out of curiosity, who are you planning on working for?

Old 12-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Planetek7
New User
Originally Posted by MikeB 88
Welcome Eric.
Owasso is a great expanding community. Lots of Aviation workers up here. Broken Arrow is also supposed to be a decent city and is larger than Owasso. Both cities have city and rural living.

Just out of curiosity, who are you planning on working for?
Hi Mike,
I did write you a PM since I noticed in an older post that you are in aviation. To answer your question, I have an interview with AA next week. Thanks for the replies. I have some reservation since my Mom is older and lives by herself over here on the east coast. Just trying to keep a paycheck coming in since we have been told my current job is closing at my location.

Eric

Old 12-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Planetek7
New User
Originally Posted by jwtimme
I live west of tulsa about 20 miles near sapulpa, most of the aviation stuff is on the north side which I will not live in north tulsa again, but a little farther north is owasso which is nice communiy and only about 15 min from tulsa international. there are several members that live in owasso. I like where I live because its in the country but only 30 min from tulsa.

Thanks jwtimme, info is appreciated.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:03 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Here's some 'general' info on the area and state.......

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...homa-life.html

I live in owasso, just 10-15min north of the airport, and commute to the southwest corner of the airport everyday. My company is in the oil industry, not aviation.

Good luck with the AA prospect. With the impending maintenance group transfer out of Tulsa and the fact that AMR filed Ch 11 this week, i'm surprised to hear they are hiring. Best of luck to ya!

(FYI, i think this is the worst state to live in if you have allergies.)

Old 12-02-2011, 01:20 AM
Planetek7
New User
Originally Posted by cigarxtc
Here's some 'general' info on the area and state.......

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...homa-life.html

I live in owasso, just 10-15min north of the airport, and commute to the southwest corner of the airport everyday. My company is in the oil industry, not aviation.

Good luck with the AA prospect. With the impending maintenance group transfer out of Tulsa and the fact that AMR filed Ch 11 this week, i'm surprised to hear they are hiring. Best of luck to ya!

(FYI, i think this is the worst state to live in if you have allergies.)
Allergies not really a problem. Yep, I'm surprised they are still going through the process as well but, I guess those are things I will ask about during interview. Thanks for the input Ron.

Eric

Old 12-02-2011, 08:29 AM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
The group of people that are getting transferred (Oct 2012) aren't mechanics. They are the people mechanics call when there is a problem and need expert help. It's roughly a group of about 200 people. AA still needs mechanics to overhaul these aircraft. Of course with the BK filing who knows what's going to happen.

One of my sons friends first day is today, so maybe they will still bring new people on board.

Come for the interview and you can get a feel for what they are doing.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Planetek7
New User
I think you mean mostly maintenance control department. I did hear that they farmed out some maintenance to a place here in NC called Timco. Is that the first A&P job for your sons' friend? If so, that's quite a start. Kind of a weird day of the week to start, but what do I know. I will be there next Wed. and see what they have to say.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Planetek7
Allergies not really a problem. Yep, I'm surprised they are still going through the process as well but, I guess those are things I will ask about during interview. Thanks for the input Ron.

Eric
People who have NEVER had any allergy issues, can suffer here. The ragweed alone is approx 10 times higher in NE Ok than anywhere else in the country. Add that to the high ozone levels in summer (thanks D/FW!) and it can wreak havok on a person.
FWIW, I live in Sapulpa. Small town, with big city sales tax rates.......

Old 12-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Planetek7
New User
So, I guess Oklahomans keep a steady stock of Claritin on hand. Alrighty then, noted to expect new allergies if a move is made. I like the fact that there sounds like there are no vehicle inspections, not because of emissions really, but because I was just going to change my 300 CI to a 351W and can't. Safety inspections here go back 35 years and car must have all original type of engine and emission equipment it came with installed.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
There is *currently* no vehicle inspections or emission checks. There used to be both in the Tulsa area, and statewide safety inspections. Both were done away with about 10 years ago in one quick bill.
As I previously mentioned, summer air quality can get rather bad (mostly from the south wind blowing in north texas/southern ok pollution) so there *could* be emission checks implemented at any time.

As for the claritin, yep, I keep it handy. Of course, days like today are irritating. I dropped the bottle as I was putting the lid back on. 4 claritin ended up in my glass of water, and who knows how many scattered across the floor........
Woke up late, and had to skip the coffee before taking the AM meds.......

Old 12-02-2011, 09:53 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Planetek7
I think you mean mostly maintenance control department. I did hear that they farmed out some maintenance to a place here in NC called Timco. Is that the first A&P job for your sons' friend? If so, that's quite a start. Kind of a weird day of the week to start, but what do I know. I will be there next Wed. and see what they have to say.
Yes, we did farm out 4 757's to Timco.
My son and his friend actually work/worked for American Eagle Aviation Services in Abilene, Texas.

Good luck with your interview and keep us updated on how it went!!!

Old 12-03-2011, 01:22 AM
Planetek7
New User
Thanks Mike. Funny to hear you mention it. I worked for Eagle Aviation Services in Abilene back in 95-96. Interesting to hear your son chose the same profession. I will let you know how it goes next week.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:59 AM
jwtimme
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From what I heard mechanics are needed but every one else is getting a bad bargain, both my in-laws worked for AA 25 years plus one has already been laid off and the other is scared for his job every month. Not to say Okalahoma is recession proof but the economy here is better than most of the country.

I was glad to see state inspections go, it was just a way for the state to take your money for nothing, though it did make sure people had their insurance. I have had two wrecks and both times the other party did not have insurance. I have they don’t start sniffer checks, I have been running leaded fuel in the 72 the past couple of weeks lol.

Quick Reply: Possible move to Tulsa