Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2012, 08:18 AM
Senior User

Engalwood is starting off with a positive reputation.
2002 F250 Water Pump :(

Ok, so I had a small coolent leak around the thermostat. So I proceded to take the 3 small bolts out and mind you not they were sorta rusted. I broke the bolt on the front side of it. Do you think its possilble so tap and drill out with the pump still in place, are am I SCREWED? I havnt try the other 2 bolts yet as I didnt want to FUBAR it any more!
Old 01-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Elder User

crop harvester has a good reputation on FTE.crop harvester has a good reputation on FTE.
what ever you do make sure you centerpunch and drill a small [1/16] pilot hole as perfect center as possible before moving to a biggerdrill bit because if you get the first hole off center you will hit the threads with bigger drill bit [ cant stress enough starting in the center]
Old 01-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Senior User

Swimholm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Why would you want to drill out the bolt with the pump on? Just finish taking the pump off. One time i had some good luck with a pipe wrench on a bolt i broke the head off. Either way it would be easier with the pump off.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Post Fiend

BigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimholm View Post
Why would you want to drill out the bolt with the pump on? Just finish taking the pump off. One time i had some good luck with a pipe wrench on a bolt i broke the head off. Either way it would be easier with the pump off.
The bolts for the thermostat housing thread into the pump, OP was asking if they should try without removing the pump, didn't sound like they were replacing the pump.

Alan 2000 F-350 CC SRW 4WD, DIY FRx, DIY CCK, Tyrant Tuning, BTS Trans, SpringerPop's Disabler, 6637 Filter, OCR, DIY Hutch Mod, Van Turbo w/RR 6/6 billet wheel, Foil Delete, 50Cent Mod, 4" Turbo back, other stuff...297,000 Miles and counting.Towing 2005 32' Sandpiper 5'er 2007 CC SRW 4WD 6.0 mostly stock
Member Arkansas Chapter
Old 01-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Posting Guru

caverjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.caverjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.caverjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimholm View Post
Why would he want to take the pump off if the leak was around the thermostate?
T-500, RedHead
2003 Navigator Ultimate (Stock)
all men are created equal' Then a few become MARINES'"
Old 01-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Senior User

Swimholm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverjoe View Post
Why would he want to take the pump off if the leak was around the thermostate?
My bad, I thought I read that he was changing the pump along with the thermostat.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Junior User

12pump is starting off with a positive reputation.
Changing the pump is something to consider. Have you replaced it before? How many miles are on it? When is the last time you changed your coolant? Hoses? Might be a good time to get it all done. Something happened to me and that is what I did. Thanks to partsguyed and riffraff for their Great deals.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Posting Guru

caverjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.caverjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.caverjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.
Not sure a water pump is something I would just change on a whim, but I guess it cant hurt anything. I have had to do mine twice since I have owned and always had ample warning. Drip Drip, drip drip drip, drip drip drip drip, finally a little stream. Dont recommend waiting that long, took a few days till I finally said alright might want to tend to that.
T-500, RedHead
2003 Navigator Ultimate (Stock)
all men are created equal' Then a few become MARINES'"
Old 01-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Elder User

crop harvester has a good reputation on FTE.crop harvester has a good reputation on FTE.
if you dont have a broken bolt thats broke flush [nothing to grab on to] then disregard that info, but might come handy down the road for something else
Old 01-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Senior User

The pump is fine. I was just changing the thermostat. I believe it's broken flush to the pump. Guess gonna have to try n drill, n retap :/
Old 01-24-2012, 10:55 PM
Post Fiend

BigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud of
How bad is the corrosion, I would try to use an easy out, or reverse drill bit before drilling and tapping that aluminum.

Alan 2000 F-350 CC SRW 4WD, DIY FRx, DIY CCK, Tyrant Tuning, BTS Trans, SpringerPop's Disabler, 6637 Filter, OCR, DIY Hutch Mod, Van Turbo w/RR 6/6 billet wheel, Foil Delete, 50Cent Mod, 4" Turbo back, other stuff...297,000 Miles and counting.Towing 2005 32' Sandpiper 5'er 2007 CC SRW 4WD 6.0 mostly stock
Member Arkansas Chapter
Old 01-25-2012, 08:31 AM
Senior User

Its bad to were it broke the bolt trying to take it out. Thats y im in this perdicament! lol
Old 01-25-2012, 09:31 AM
Rather Be Floatin

RedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to behold
Costa Kaldanis
How many miles on the truck? Might just want to order a new pump from Clay at RiffRaff, new thermostat, T-stat housing and the 3 bolts and plan on a weekend project. Good reason to flush out the cooling system and put some new koolaide in the system too!! Preventative Maintenance!
I just received my new supplies from Clay and am going to be doing some PM on mine in a few weeks, with 145k it probably wont be long and I would rather do it in my driveway as opposed to trying to do it on the side of the road or worse having to have it towed and letting somebody else do it for 2 or 3X the cost of doing it myself.
2" Leveling Kit, Hutch/Harpoon, Foil Delete Mod, Upgraded boots, Undone CCV Mod, A/C Improvement Mod, GPR LED, Michelin LT285/75R/16 LTX AT2's, TRU-COOL cooler, Train Horns
Old 01-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Senior User

The pump was done back in 08. I was just changing the thermostate out. LOL Theres less then 30,000 milez on the WP. And the fluid is a ok. I was gonna change the pump out if I cant get this bolt out and re tapd tho, HOPEN I DONT HAVE TO tho
Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Still learning every day!

F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
Like has been mentioned, get an "easy out" to use with a reversible drill. It will be difficult given that those bolts are not very large, but it can be done, especially since the pump is not original. If you're dealing with the back bolt position, I would remove the pump to do the work. If it's on the front side, then you probably have room to do the work without removing the pump.
Pete (F250_) -- PAA#19
'02 F250 PSD, CC, SB, XLT, 2WD: 252K miles
Basic, low cost, not really performance enhancing mods.
'03 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) PSD, 2WD, 176K miles - Stock.
http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/7pt3/Mods.html
Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2002, 250, 73, brocke, diesel, f250, f250sd, fines, ford, issues, leak, pump, removal, replacing, water, waterpump