Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2002 F250 Water Pump :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:18 AM
Engalwood
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 F250 Water Pump :(

Ok, so I had a small coolent leak around the thermostat. So I proceded to take the 3 small bolts out and mind you not they were sorta rusted. I broke the bolt on the front side of it. Do you think its possilble so tap and drill out with the pump still in place, are am I SCREWED? I havnt try the other 2 bolts yet as I didnt want to FUBAR it any more!

Old 01-24-2012, 08:54 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what ever you do make sure you centerpunch and drill a small [1/16] pilot hole as perfect center as possible before moving to a biggerdrill bit because if you get the first hole off center you will hit the threads with bigger drill bit [ cant stress enough starting in the center]

Old 01-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Swimholm
Senior User
Why would you want to drill out the bolt with the pump on? Just finish taking the pump off. One time i had some good luck with a pipe wrench on a bolt i broke the head off. Either way it would be easier with the pump off.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Swimholm
Why would you want to drill out the bolt with the pump on? Just finish taking the pump off. One time i had some good luck with a pipe wrench on a bolt i broke the head off. Either way it would be easier with the pump off.
The bolts for the thermostat housing thread into the pump, OP was asking if they should try without removing the pump, didn't sound like they were replacing the pump.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:19 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Swimholm
Why would he want to take the pump off if the leak was around the thermostate?

Old 01-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Swimholm
Senior User
Originally Posted by caverjoe
Why would he want to take the pump off if the leak was around the thermostate?
My bad, I thought I read that he was changing the pump along with the thermostat.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:40 PM
12pump
Senior User
Changing the pump is something to consider. Have you replaced it before? How many miles are on it? When is the last time you changed your coolant? Hoses? Might be a good time to get it all done. Something happened to me and that is what I did. Thanks to partsguyed and riffraff for their Great deals.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:54 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Not sure a water pump is something I would just change on a whim, but I guess it cant hurt anything. I have had to do mine twice since I have owned and always had ample warning. Drip Drip, drip drip drip, drip drip drip drip, finally a little stream. Dont recommend waiting that long, took a few days till I finally said alright might want to tend to that.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:12 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you dont have a broken bolt thats broke flush [nothing to grab on to] then disregard that info, but might come handy down the road for something else

Old 01-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Engalwood
Senior User
The pump is fine. I was just changing the thermostat. I believe it's broken flush to the pump. Guess gonna have to try n drill, n retap :/

Old 01-24-2012, 10:55 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How bad is the corrosion, I would try to use an easy out, or reverse drill bit before drilling and tapping that aluminum.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:31 AM
Engalwood
Senior User
Its bad to were it broke the bolt trying to take it out. Thats y im in this perdicament! lol

Old 01-25-2012, 09:31 AM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

How many miles on the truck? Might just want to order a new pump from Clay at RiffRaff, new thermostat, T-stat housing and the 3 bolts and plan on a weekend project. Good reason to flush out the cooling system and put some new koolaide in the system too!! Preventative Maintenance!
I just received my new supplies from Clay and am going to be doing some PM on mine in a few weeks, with 145k it probably wont be long and I would rather do it in my driveway as opposed to trying to do it on the side of the road or worse having to have it towed and letting somebody else do it for 2 or 3X the cost of doing it myself.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Engalwood
Senior User
The pump was done back in 08. I was just changing the thermostate out. LOL Theres less then 30,000 milez on the WP. And the fluid is a ok. I was gonna change the pump out if I cant get this bolt out and re tapd tho, HOPEN I DONT HAVE TO tho

Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Like has been mentioned, get an "easy out" to use with a reversible drill. It will be difficult given that those bolts are not very large, but it can be done, especially since the pump is not original. If you're dealing with the back bolt position, I would remove the pump to do the work. If it's on the front side, then you probably have room to do the work without removing the pump.

Quick Reply: 2002 F250 Water Pump :(