Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-Atlantic Region > Maryland Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Maryland Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: jr32560

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2012, 03:14 PM
Senior User

Blown284 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Surge > Electric brake conversion

Converted "hydraulic" brakes over to "electric"? My toy hauler is currently surge (i.e. hydraulic) and while the brakes worked great last year, I wasn't exactly the most comfortable towing up and down the steep mountains of West Virginia with this much weight .... LOL.

Know of anyone that would be willing to tackle this job for me?

Thanks,
Tim
Mods to date: MBRP 4" exhaust, ISSPro Ev2 gauges, Leveling kit, DIY 6673 intake, muffler delete, '05 leather front seats/console, Stereo upgrade, Scangauge II, HD headlight, new front grill, TW 6 POS w/SWAMPS tunes)
2012 VW Passat TDI
Old 01-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
Do you know what's involved, Tim? That would be a great MOD DAY job!

2007 Arctic Fox 30' Fifth Wheel
2012 VW Passat SE TDI - SG-II (An ALL-DIESEL family)
Old 01-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPofMD View Post
Do you know what's involved, Tim? That would be a great MOD DAY job!
No idea.... lots of options that I've read about: Electric over hydraulic. Electric, etc. All look like decent options, however, not to be a cheapskate, however, money is tight and if it's going to cost too much I'll just wait and won't have any other options.
Mods to date: MBRP 4" exhaust, ISSPro Ev2 gauges, Leveling kit, DIY 6673 intake, muffler delete, '05 leather front seats/console, Stereo upgrade, Scangauge II, HD headlight, new front grill, TW 6 POS w/SWAMPS tunes)
2012 VW Passat TDI
Old 01-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
Did you know there is an RV/trailer forum on FTE? Go here: Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

I'll bet you could find out all you need to know about the conversion. Just ask...someone will be there that's done it.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPofMD View Post
Did you know there is an RV/trailer forum on FTE? Go here: Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

I'll bet you could find out all you need to know about the conversion. Just ask...someone will be there that's done it.
Done! Thanks. and no, I did look there. Guess my ADHD kicked in.
2012 VW Passat TDI
Old 01-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Posting Legend

..... hehehehe

Old 01-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Brain dead

dustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputation
Well............. The only thing you re use between the 2 is the brake drum, so get ready to change some parts. A lot of people just drum to drum the axle. Cheaper in the long run, and much quicker to do the work. Cost wise, I would think it would even out by the time you add the labor and parts up between the 2.
Charlie slackmaster #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywanabe View Post
Yes I do... I've been told on several occasions I should be on happy pills to make it possible for someone to live with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67nukeford View Post
Rob would probably hurt himself just being in the same room with tools.....LOL
Old 01-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybumpers View Post
Well............. The only thing you re use between the 2 is the brake drum, so get ready to change some parts. A lot of people just drum to drum the axle. Cheaper in the long run, and much quicker to do the work. Cost wise, I would think it would even out by the time you add the labor and parts up between the 2.
Yep. I've read some folks saying that it actually, in the long run, might be cheaper to get the axles with the drum/disc already on it (for electric). Sure sounds like a very costly adventure.
2012 VW Passat TDI
Old 01-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Brain dead

dustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputation
Not that bad. depending on the weight, you only have to brake 1 axle. I did my equipment trailer, 2 axles for $500. That was labor and all. Go to camping places, sometimes you can get a drum to drum used and in decent shape for about $100 each
Charlie slackmaster #26
Quote:
Yes I do... I've been told on several occasions I should be on happy pills to make it possible for someone to live with me.
Quote:
Old 01-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Not that bad. depending on the weight, you only have to brake 1 axle. I did my equipment trailer, 2 axles for $500. That was labor and all. Go to camping places, sometimes you can get a drum to drum used and in decent shape for about $100 each
Ya that's what I figured. Thanks agian for all the help. I truly appreciate it.
2012 VW Passat TDI
Old 01-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Brain dead

Not a problem. Just do like me, and start collecting everything. When you get ready, we'll do a blow by blow. If you need to make a list, you can come over, and get the creeper and check out the equipment trailer. You know there has to be a battery and a break away on it too with electric brakes.................
Charlie slackmaster #26
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Not a problem. Just do like me, and start collecting everything. When you get ready, we'll do a blow by blow. If you need to make a list, you can come over, and get the creeper and check out the equipment trailer. You know there has to be a battery and a break away on it too with electric brakes.................
Yep I'm aware of the electric/battery for breakaway brakes. I like that setup a lot better. Last thing I need is to risk my life potentially losing brakes with the trailer the way it is. Don't get me wrong, it performed fine last year and I wouldn't really have these concerns if I was only towing on flat ground, however, .........
2012 VW Passat TDI
Old 01-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Brain dead

Well, They have their place, but I don't care for them, especially when backing up.....
Charlie slackmaster #26
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Well, They have their place, but I don't care for them, especially when backing up.....
It's fun and like pushing a car hahahahaha.
2012 VW Passat TDI
Old 01-23-2012, 06:17 PM
Postmaster

RV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown284 View Post
It's fun and like pushing a car hahahahaha.
I addressed some of this on the trailer forum, but would note surge brakes have been around for decades and have a proven track record. Electric brakes are hardly without their weaknesses.

Steve
2010 F150 super cab, box stock, bed slide, ARE bed cover
Old 01-23-2012, 06:17 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-Atlantic Region > Maryland Chapter

Tags
5th, axle, brake, brakes, company, conversion, convert, electric, f250, hydraulic, powered, surge, swap, truck, vbulletin, wheel