Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Posting Guru

Forest is a splendid one to beholdForest is a splendid one to beholdForest is a splendid one to beholdForest is a splendid one to beholdForest is a splendid one to beholdForest is a splendid one to beholdForest is a splendid one to behold
Turn Signal "Sticks ON" / Found the Cure

My 2005 Excursion had an intermittent problem. Occasionally, the blinker would stay "on" and would not blink.

The shop manual diagnostic chart led me to replace the "multifunction switch" (turn signal stalk) at a cost of over $130. I also inspected the wire cable under the steering column cover and wrapped it in electrical tape where it could possibly chafe. This "fix" did not work.

Finally, I realized that this condition never occurred right after starting the truck. It only occurred after the blinker had been used a few times. In other words, it appeared that something was getting hot.

I purchased and replaced the "flasher relay". This relay was very hard to locate. It is in the dash behind the radio. It is blue, but it resides with another relay inside a black plastic box about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Problem solved. The new flasher relay has been in for over 8 weeks without a recurrence of the problem.

The part number is 5C3Z-13350-AA. Description is "Relay - Direct". I paid $31.12 plus tax.

'05 Excursion Limited 4x4 6.0L PSD >162,000 miles
ARP Studs, SCT, Coolant filter, MBRP 4", Banks Techni-Cooler, Blue Spring, V/B w/RAS; Hellwig; Red Head; Bilsteins; Michelin M/S2 on 18"x8" 04 Ford wheels; Kenwood DNX9960 w/Rear Camera ; Propride 3P on Arctic Fox 32D

Last edited by Forest; 01-23-2012 at 08:34 AM. Reason: More info.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:55 AM
Postmaster

jh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputation
Napa also has the flasher EL-27, I believe. I replaced mine thinking it would fix my trailer light problem. Turns out that the factory had crossed the ground wire in the trailer.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Posting Guru

TrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputation
Well at least you use your turn signal. Seems to be becoming more and more rare. I think that it is either laziness or lack of coordination on the modern drivers part. Thank you from the rest of the "Users" and thanks for posting the fix.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Postmaster

Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdLtly View Post
Well at least you use your turn signal. Seems to be becoming more and more rare. I think that it is either laziness or lack of coordination on the modern drivers part. Thank you from the rest of the "Users" and thanks for posting the fix.
LOL - I agree with you 1000%.
Plus it's hard while texting & eating to have a free hand for the turn signal.

I tell folks "modern luxury cars are so expensive, nobody buys the optional turn signals any more".

My wife even points out cars that "didn't buy the optional turn signals".
'05 EB Excursion 2wd 6.0 3.73/LS Mich LTX M/S2, Diesel Kleen (gray bottle), FICM w/atlas40 from Ed, RAS, Read Head Steering, scangaugeII w/Blendmount, '08+ Tow Mirrors, Magnefine PS filter, SPAtechnique Dual-Gauge (FP & Volt), Blue Spring, Air Lift 1000, Interior Dome Override, DieselSite Coolant Filter, BPD Oil & EGR coolers, Rancho RS9000, Hellwig, Diehard Platinum x2
Old 01-23-2012, 04:28 PM
you can't fix stupid!

indyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest View Post
My 2005 Excursion had an intermittent problem. Occasionally, the blinker would stay "on" and would not blink.

The shop manual diagnostic chart led me to replace the "multifunction switch" (turn signal stalk) at a cost of over $130. I also inspected the wire cable under the steering column cover and wrapped it in electrical tape where it could possibly chafe. This "fix" did not work.

Finally, I realized that this condition never occurred right after starting the truck. It only occurred after the blinker had been used a few times. In other words, it appeared that something was getting hot.

I purchased and replaced the "flasher relay". This relay was very hard to locate. It is in the dash behind the radio. It is blue, but it resides with another relay inside a black plastic box about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Problem solved. The new flasher relay has been in for over 8 weeks without a recurrence of the problem.

The part number is 5C3Z-13350-AA. Description is "Relay - Direct". I paid $31.12 plus tax.
i am also going through this dilema.....replaced the stalk as well and it still happens......cant for the life of me find the relay but ill go look behind the radio now.....thanks......
Old 01-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Posting Guru

Forest is a splendid one to beholdForest is a splendid one to beholdForest is a splendid one to beholdForest is a splendid one to beholdForest is a splendid one to beholdForest is a splendid one to beholdForest is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyF-350psd View Post
i am also going through this dilema.....replaced the stalk as well and it still happens......cant for the life of me find the relay but ill go look behind the radio now.....thanks......
Sorry, I did not take any pictures. You may be able to get to it by removing the "bag holder hook". I think it is below radio and toward driver side. Use a bright flashlight to look for this black plastic relay holder.

'05 Excursion Limited 4x4 6.0L PSD >162,000 miles
ARP Studs, SCT, Coolant filter, MBRP 4", Banks Techni-Cooler, Blue Spring, V/B w/RAS; Hellwig; Red Head; Bilsteins; Michelin M/S2 on 18"x8" 04 Ford wheels; Kenwood DNX9960 w/Rear Camera ; Propride 3P on Arctic Fox 32D
Old 01-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Postmaster

jh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputation
Here is a link to a thread by nomad27 on fuel pump relay that shows a photo of the blue flasher. Hope this helps.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...-location.html
Old 01-23-2012, 06:36 PM
you can't fix stupid!

indyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest View Post
Sorry, I did not take any pictures. You may be able to get to it by removing the "bag holder hook". I think it is below radio and toward driver side. Use a bright flashlight to look for this black plastic relay holder.
im already holding it in my hand.....took out my radio since im putting a new kenwood in.....i have searched and searched to find this thing off and on for about 5 months......never saw that little black cigarette box by looking up from the floor......reps to you......i appreciate it....
Old 01-23-2012, 08:10 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Forest, reps bro, good thread!

Now take out your radio again and take some pictures!

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:36 PM
you can't fix stupid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
Forest, reps bro, good thread!

Now take out your radio again and take some pictures!

Stewart
ill get some pics up in the morning....i even took out the whole dash bezel......
Old 01-23-2012, 09:05 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
You're a good guy, Bill!

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 01-24-2012, 08:47 AM
you can't fix stupid!

granted this is in my F350 not my X they are both super duty platforms so they are the same.......the description of the black box being the size of a pack of cigarettes is right on.....the other way to best describe the location of this black box is right next to the factory harness for the brake controller under the dash towards the passenger side of the harness plug......here are the pics to help you.......

im a bit of a demolition expert so i wanted a good view and took out the whole dash bezel.......
Click the image to open in full size.

under the "P" is where the cigarette box is.......

here is the box right next to the factory harness for the brake controller.......

this is the black box cover.......

and these are the relays......the blue one is the factory ford and the black one is the replacement from carquest....14 bucks......

hope this helps.....
Old 01-24-2012, 12:57 PM

Picture reps! Picture reps!

I'd hit you Bill, unfortunately I gotta spread more before I can buddy!

Stewart
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 01-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Posting Guru

jasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to behold
Got 'em for ya Stewart
Old 01-24-2012, 02:47 PM
you can't fix stupid!

i dont know if forest noticed but the new relay is LOUD!

edit: thanks for the reps fellas.......
Old 01-24-2012, 02:47 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Tags
05, 2000, article, blinker, car, dashboard, excursion, ford, kenwood, location, powered, radio, signal, sticks, turn