Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

California, Southern Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wpnaes

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2012, 06:56 AM
Senior User

timbuctooCal is starting off with a positive reputation.
location of speedometer gear post has gone unanswered since 1.12.12

I posted the following on 1/12 in (1968 full sized vans)and due to no feedback ,I posted again on 1/16 in ( Transmissions) part of the forum.

i just checked both today on 1/22 and theres been no response on either.
Both posts have a total of 184 views and still no answer.

For those of you that havent seen it earlier...here it is:

SPEEDOMETER GEAR
On earlier ATs 1960-77 I just followed the speedo cable to the enty point in the trans,un bolt,remove and replace.

I cant find my speedo gear on my 90 AT m4od. It must be electronic ?

If its electronic,is it a simple unbolt and pull it out/off,or does it envolve more?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Admin Emeritus

SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
Wish I could help you, but I have no clue. Are you sure that's the correct model designation? I thought "M" referred to a manual trans...

Here's a 4 speed auto ID chart:

Click the image to open in full size.
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 01-23-2012, 10:40 AM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Is there a speedometer cable? If so, find where it goes. If not, it is electronic. If it is electronic, no gear. In which case it is probably using a sensor in the rear diff pumpkin.

My '88 had a speedo cable and a gear. It was in the rear shaft housing. Had a spiral plastic gear on the shaft, and a spur gear on the cable. You couldn't miss the big speedo cable. So if you are not seeing it, I'm betting a '90 does not have one.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 01-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Senior User

OH..typo. its a E4OD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBricks View Post
Wish I could help you, but I have no clue. Are you sure that's the correct model designation? I thought "M" referred to a manual trans...

Here's a 4 speed auto ID chart:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Senior User

[quote=bpounds;11325661]Is there a speedometer cable?

Nope,couldnt see one

If it is electronic, no gear. In which case it is probably using a sensor in the rear diff pumpkin.

Uh Oh....
Old 01-23-2012, 01:15 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Is your speedo not working? Or are you trying to adjust for big tires?

Look at the very top of the differential for a sensor. Should be easy to change.

If you want to adjust the speedo, you might have to look for an aftermarket programmer. Not sure what that would take.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 01-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Senior User

Thanks for the location of the sensor: The speedo & odo just stopped working one day

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
Is your speedo not working? Or are you trying to adjust for big tires?

Look at the very top of the differential for a sensor. Should be easy to change.

If you want to adjust the speedo, you might have to look for an aftermarket programmer. Not sure what that would take.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:41 AM
Posting Guru

wb6anp has a good reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a good reputation on FTE.
I found another post on this site about it, here.
"For that vintage truck the speedo and RABS systems are seperate, the speedo is cable driven off the T-case and the rear axle sensor feeds the RABS system only. Somewhere around 1992 Ford integrated the two systems and did away with the cable driven speedos, you can tell what system a truck has by looking at the odometer, if it's mechanical then the dash is cable driven but if it's LCD it is electronically driven from the combo RABS/VSS sensor in the rear axle."

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...de-6-rabs.html
Old 01-27-2012, 03:41 AM