1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

E4OD to ZF5 - In Process

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 09:11 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So yall tied the tan/blue wire under the dash to the tan/white wire on the steering column correct? If I got that right where did you find was easiest to do it at? I ask because I'd like to do the same and see if: 1) My cruise still works with the manual programmed auto PCM, and 2) The cruise works with the PCM from the no cc f350 I have for sale. That way we'll have at least one more case to support or oppose yalls findings.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:12 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
According to the '95 EVTM, there is no such thing in a PSD. Looking around under the hood, I've never seen one in either of our '95s, both of which have working cruise. Is the above diagram specific to an OBS PSD? I see an air bag.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No "Speed Control Servo" on the OBS, that's for gas rigs.

Cruse control uses three things to function correctly ...

1. PCM
2. PSOM
3. RABS

Old 02-14-2012, 11:39 AM
TyBragg
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redman84
So yall tied the tan/blue wire under the dash to the tan/white wire on the steering column correct? If I got that right where did you find was easiest to do it at? I ask because I'd like to do the same and see if: 1) My cruise still works with the manual programmed auto PCM, and 2) The cruise works with the PCM from the no cc f350 I have for sale. That way we'll have at least one more case to support or oppose yalls findings.
We cut the tan/white wire from the plug that goes to the O/D switch at the steering column (with the steering column cover removed) and spliced our jumper into that wire (the wire coming from the PCM, not the bit of wire still in the plug). Then, we ran the jumper down the steering column, routing it out of the way of any moving parts, down to the clutch interlock switch. I pulled the sheath back that covers the wires at that plug so I had some room to work. I skinned the tan/blue wire from the clutch switch (didn't cut it, just skinned about 3/8"-1/2" of the wire so i had the bare wire showingg) and spliced in my jumper there. Taped it up really good, then pushed all the wires back into the sheath and taped that up.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:48 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by madpogue
According to the '95 EVTM, there is no such thing in a PSD. Looking around under the hood, I've never seen one in either of our '95s, both of which have working cruise. Is the above diagram specific to an OBS PSD? I see an air bag.
My mistake, if this a diagram for gas only. I thought what I pulled up was for the PSD. Regardless, we got it to work, so it must be something other than the PCM.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:01 PM
TyBragg
Elder User
Originally Posted by TyBragg
We cut the tan/white wire from the plug that goes to the O/D switch at the steering column (with the steering column cover removed) and spliced our jumper into that wire (the wire coming from the PCM, not the bit of wire still in the plug). Then, we ran the jumper down the steering column, routing it out of the way of any moving parts, down to the clutch interlock switch. I pulled the sheath back that covers the wires at that plug so I had some room to work. I skinned the tan/blue wire from the clutch switch (didn't cut it, just skinned about 3/8"-1/2" of the wire so i had the bare wire showingg) and spliced in my jumper there. Taped it up really good, then pushed all the wires back into the sheath and taped that up.
As a side note - if you can find where the tan/lt blue wire from the clutch interlock switch leads (possibly under the hood) you might be able to make the connection there. We could not find where that wire leads in the automatic truck. When you look at wiring diagrams, like the one that Hussler posted, it shows the tan/lt blue wire going to pin 29 of the PCM. That's for manual trucks...but that wire does NOT lead to pin 29 on the automatics - pin 29 comes from the tan/white wire from the O/D cancel switch. We don't know where the tan/lt blue wire goes. We know it goes to the main harness plug that goes through the firewall...but we don't know where it goes from there.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:38 PM
TyBragg
Elder User
Guys - to make this a little easier, I made some improvised wiring diagrams. I think I got everything right. ReBilld can correct me if I mess anything up - If so, I'll fix and re-post. Here they are:

Let me know if you have any questions. This should make it easier.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:37 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Hussler
No "Speed Control Servo" on the OBS, that's for gas rigs.

Cruse control uses three things to function correctly ...

1. PCM
2. PSOM
3. RABS

Thanks Hussler, that's kinda what i was looking for this morning, but it was 4:30 am before I went to work I should have realized that it was a servo. Sorry guys, I was wrong one other time LOL

Old 02-14-2012, 09:10 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by redman84
All PCM are setup for cruise. Mine a XL that did not have cc I changed the horn pad and jumped two wires under the hood and now have cc

Old 02-14-2012, 11:47 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fordpride
All PCM are setup for cruise.
That definately answers one of our questions. We weren't sure if all PCMs had cruise capability or not.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:20 AM
J.N.
New User
Clutch safety switch wire harness location

So we started inside the cab last night. Took the dash panels off around the steering column, dropped the column, and removed the automatic shifter and the entire shifter rod assembly. Then we installed the "push to remove" key lock from the donor 5 speed. Next, we removed the brake pedal assembly from the automatic. Then, it was time to install the clutch/brake pedal assembly. There are a few things we discovered: 1) it is necessary to remove the fuel pedal, 2) it is pretty necessary to remove the entire steering column ( you might be able to do it with the column in there, but after lots of struggling, we removed it and had the pedals in shortly thereafter), and 3) this is a pain in the butt. Here's a pic of it in progress:

Before we got the pedals completely installed, we got the master/slave cylinder in place. I suppose you could do it after the pedals are installed.

Here's the entire thing completed. Disregard the big red wire hanging down - that's for my CB power:

We also went ahead and routed the wiring harness for the trans while we were at it. Also - we were able to take the clutch sensor from the donor and get it installed on the master cylinder pushrod. We found the plug under the dash that plugs into this sensor (which was capped for the auotmatic), uncapped it, and got it plugged back ing. That's as far as we got yesterday, but now we are ready for trans installation today. More to come.

Tyler
Hey guys! I did my swap a while ago and never hooked up my clutch safety switch. I have read several guys talk about it being under the dash and was wondering if you could tell me where under the dash it is located. Is it in the same place as is on my donor truck which is way up close to the top of the dash and about the middle of everything or else where? I found a harness just under the dash close to the stick shift with some gray/black wires and white/ black wires running to it but I don't think that's it. the one on the donor truck has red,blue , yellow ect wires in it. I would appreciate any info you guys can give!

Old 03-03-2015, 02:45 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The clutch switch is (or should be) on the pushrod going into the master cylinder.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:41 AM
DeadFife
New User
Guys - to make this a little easier, I made some improvised wiring diagrams. I think I got everything right. ReBilld can correct me if I mess anything up - If so, I'll fix and re-post. Here they are:

Let me know if you have any questions. This should make it easier.
To get it to start using the key could a person jump on the transmission side of the plug pins 4 and 12 instead of splicing wires on the truck side?

Old 09-17-2019, 01:05 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You certainly could, but then the splice would be under the truck in the weather rather than in the foot well where it is protected from the elements.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:45 PM
DeadFife
New User
I just located the plug and pulled the pins out and swapped them to the correct areas looks like factory instead of a meth head job lol

Quick Reply: E4OD to ZF5 - In Process