1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Has anyone found the 6.0 intercooler swap worth it?

Old 01-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mueckster
That statement with the install pics is a bit confusing. I think they are referring to the hard 90 degree fitting on the top of the stock '02-'03 7.3 trans cooler. The earlier models have a straight fitting (facing up) with tubing that can be bent to allow for clearance. I rerouted my cooler lines so that they no longer go under the IC due the location of my TruCool up front. The 6.0 trans cooler fittings face down and use longer hoses for the connections. IIRC, they are routed under the core support so there are no clearance issues below the IC.
Thanks Roland, I think I know what your talking about. The only real way to know is looking at a pic. When I get home late spring I will have to look on my Ex to get a better idea. Just as long as I dont have to start cutting and welding things then it should be pretty easy.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:22 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to bring up an old thread, so if I routinely gross over 25k, and go up some big azz hills (Grapevine, Cajon Pass) but am kinda broke, would the 6oh do it for me, or should I go for something better. I.E. I've gone up the grapevine grossing 24.5k and can keep it around 1100* in 2nd or maybe 3rd, doing about 40 mph. Push the go pedal any more, or keep it in the wrong gear a second too long, and it's in the red. I don't like red as I've broken down too many times in the past, all side job related (car transport) and it costs me way too much. So I just want to do what I can to cover my butt...

Old 03-26-2012, 04:23 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mongo75
Sorry to bring up an old thread, so if I routinely gross over 25k, and go up some big azz hills (Grapevine, Cajon Pass) but am kinda broke, would the 6oh do it for me, or should I go for something better. I.E. I've gone up the grapevine grossing 24.5k and can keep it around 1100* in 2nd or maybe 3rd, doing about 40 mph. Push the go pedal any more, or keep it in the wrong gear a second too long, and it's in the red. I don't like red as I've broken down too many times in the past, all side job related (car transport) and it costs me way too much. So I just want to do what I can to cover my butt...

Wont help a bit... get your RPM's up, 2800-3000 and you will pull alot better. You should be able to maintain 55-60mph pulling that weight.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:57 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
I am doing 2500-3000 rpm's, and under those circumstances, if I can hit 3rd, it's hard to raise my rpms w/o getting too hot on the pyro. Kinda damned either way. I can scoot along on flat ground all day no problem- I set the cruise control in 4th gear at 60- but I find it hard to see a 1 ton run up the grapevine grossing 25k doing 55-60mph- semis run it at about 25-40mph, and some cars can't do 60 up it.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:11 AM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
i might try water in your situation.....

Old 03-26-2012, 08:27 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
definitely thought about that, and it's probably the cheapest way to go. I would like a "permanent solution" though, that wouldn't require adding water all the time. However, if I didn't mod the truck I guess I wouldn't have a heat problem LOL!

Old 03-26-2012, 09:31 AM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Originally Posted by mongo75
definitely thought about that, and it's probably the cheapest way to go. I would like a "permanent solution" though, that wouldn't require adding water all the time. However, if I didn't mod the truck I guess I wouldn't have a heat problem LOL!
i just looked at your sig and we run almost identical setups except i run an h2e turbo...im looking at a tapercore i/c right now locally to see how it compares to my dpp i/c i got to replace my plastic ended stocker...how does your van turbo do? im thinking about getting the h2e modded for future plans of the EDP procharger.....instead of a 6oh i/c you might look at DI's i/c or spearco or hypermax if you want to spend the coin....ive wanted a tapercore since i saw one....beefy!

Old 03-27-2012, 04:13 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
I like the van turbo, especially since I upgraded from the stock e99 set up. The smaller e99 turbo was quick to spool, but didn't have much top end. THe van turbo smokes on the bottom end if I mash the go pedal, but it mostly clears up and although I can never make more than 29 psi, it keeps pulling. I'd like a 38r only because it's another "mod" I can do and it should help clear up the smoke at the bottom end, AND get me over that damn illusive 30psi I can't hit..... But back to IC's, some say the 6oh won't do anything, some swear by it. I really do like the idea of water injection though, I don't know how much is used a minute though, the grapevine, the worst hill I hit out here, is 14 miles up and 14 down- long either way under a heavy load- couldn't imagine doing it with a stock truck! So if I can get at least 30 minutes out of a lets say 5 gal tank, that'd be fine with me

Old 03-27-2012, 05:47 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
I thought you could get at least 1000 miles out of a 7 gal tank, but I could be wrong. Ck out snow performance for there kit. I think Clay sells them also.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:54 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
You can get a 6.0 Mishimoto from riffraffdiesel for under $600 and yes they will work on 7.3 engs. IMO it is worth having. I need to get one for my Ex and I will get the Banks again.
Update: $950 on RiffRaffDiesel

Yes, I know this is an old thread, but more than 50% increase in price deserves an update.

I'm looking for pieces and parts for my 02 Excursion 7.3L and found this thread.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:08 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Wow, inflation made the price go up but my paycheck got smaller...wtf

Old 03-03-2015, 09:20 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
Wow, inflation made the price go up but my paycheck got smaller...wtf
Yeah, noticed that, too.

I know I'm late to the party, but it seems many of the key things figured out on this and other sites have gone from "we'll make and sell the kits, make some money, and help fellow dieselers" to "We can make a killing on these if we add 50-100% to the original price"

To be fair, it is not limited to RiffRaffDiesel (they are the vendor in the link).

It is worth something to be able to buy a bolt-on solution. But IMHO making a good product with a margin, then increasing the prices by obscene amounts, is not much appreciated.

I am looking to spend a small chunk of hard to come by $$ to do a bunch of these mods right away and would love to pick a solid and reliable vendor who doesn't want to slaughter my wallet.

Show me a reasonable price/markup and I'll buy all my stuff there

$3k may be a drop in the bucket to some folks, but after just buying an Ex it gets a lot heavier

Old 03-03-2015, 09:31 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
I think RR has the best prices but I also look to see what shipping would cost me Since RR is on the west coast and I'm on the east coast.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:59 AM
Mishimoto
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cutlass
Do you know if there's a noticeable or significant difference between the Mishimoto and Banks intercoolers? I just looked up the price for the Banks and I see over $1,300 price tag.
Let us know if we can answer any specific questions about our 6.0L intercooler, or any other products you are interested in.

Our 6.0L cooler features cast-aluminum end tanks mated to a 3.25" thick core. We've also designed internal air diverters to direct airflow to the full height of our cooler, which will help to improve heat transfer. Compared to the stock 6.0L unit, we've increased volume by 32.5% over the stock intercooler. On a mildly modified 6.0L we saw intake temperature drops right around 11%. Check out our full testing results at the link below.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-...ing-Report.pdf

Thanks!

Originally Posted by ExPACamper
Update: $950 on RiffRaffDiesel

Yes, I know this is an old thread, but more than 50% increase in price deserves an update.

I'm looking for pieces and parts for my 02 Excursion 7.3L and found this thread.
Great point here! The significant price increase is due to the complete redesign of our intercooler. Our previous design was a cut-and-weld end tank intercooler with a slightly thinner core. Our new intercooler, which was launched in mid 2013, features cast-aluminum end tanks and a thicker core. That being said, we didn't just plop in a thick core and call it a day. We performed extensive testing to design a core that would provide ideal heat transfer without negatively impacting airflow. Our testing has shown very positive results as noted in the engineering report linked above.

In short, the complete redesign of our intercooler to a far more efficient product is the reasoning for our price increase.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

-John

Old 03-05-2015, 03:25 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Mishimoto
Let us know if we can answer any specific questions about our 6.0L intercooler, or any other products you are interested in.

Our 6.0L cooler features cast-aluminum end tanks mated to a 3.25" thick core. We've also designed internal air diverters to direct airflow to the full height of our cooler, which will help to improve heat transfer. Compared to the stock 6.0L unit, we've increased volume by 32.5% over the stock intercooler. On a mildly modified 6.0L we saw intake temperature drops right around 11%. Check out our full testing results at the link below.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-...ing-Report.pdf

Thanks!

Great point here! The significant price increase is due to the complete redesign of our intercooler. Our previous design was a cut-and-weld end tank intercooler with a slightly thinner core. Our new intercooler, which was launched in mid 2013, features cast-aluminum end tanks and a thicker core. That being said, we didn't just plop in a thick core and call it a day. We performed extensive testing to design a core that would provide ideal heat transfer without negatively impacting airflow. Our testing has shown very positive results as noted in the engineering report linked above.

In short, the complete redesign of our intercooler to a far more efficient product is the reasoning for our price increase.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

-John
That's some good info. I didn't know about all the improvements. Maybe it would be helpful to call it '6.0 Extreme' or something so people realize it is the improved model?

Good to see vendors here answering questions and such

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone found the 6.0 intercooler swap worth it?