1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

99 Ranger 2.5L no start.....but now it does??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 02:03 PM
garymocwi
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Ranger 2.5L no start.....but now it does??

Had a bad Friday morning. -1 outside and the Ranger didn't feel like starting (it wanted a day off). It turned over fine but there was no hint of starting. Finally ran the battery dead and left it for Saturday (put a charger on the battery though).

I was preparing to push it into the garage but before I did I checked all of the fuses (good) and then started swapping relays (trying to start it between swaps). After swapping the last two relays (after checking later I found they were for the wiper system) the truck finally started. Now I know the wiper relays have nothing to do with the fuel system.........but is it possible I had a fuel line freeze? And it broke loose (it was +12 outside) by stopping and starting the fuel pump?

Anyway it seems to start just fine now. I also dumped about 6 containers of "Heet" in the tank. Due to this "FUN" I purchased a fuel line pressure tester and want to know the following..........

What is normal turn the key and check fuel pressure (engine not running)?
I'm getting 40. After the pump stops the pressure starts to drop right away.

What is normal pressure with the engine running?
I'm getting 65.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Old 01-24-2012, 10:17 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by garymocwi
Had a bad Friday morning. -1 outside and the Ranger didn't feel like starting (it wanted a day off). It turned over fine but there was no hint of starting. Finally ran the battery dead and left it for Saturday (put a charger on the battery though).

I was preparing to push it into the garage but before I did I checked all of the fuses (good) and then started swapping relays (trying to start it between swaps). After swapping the last two relays (after checking later I found they were for the wiper system) the truck finally started. Now I know the wiper relays have nothing to do with the fuel system.........but is it possible I had a fuel line freeze? And it broke loose (it was +12 outside) by stopping and starting the fuel pump?

Anyway it seems to start just fine now. I also dumped about 6 containers of "Heet" in the tank. Due to this "FUN" I purchased a fuel line pressure tester and want to know the following..........

What is normal turn the key and check fuel pressure (engine not running)?
I'm getting 40. After the pump stops the pressure starts to drop right away.

What is normal pressure with the engine running?
I'm getting 65.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
I am confused about the relays? did you swap the relays and then the truck started?

The fuel pressure koeo should be about 60-65.......it should get there with in 2 or 3 cycles of the key..........the pressure should not drop more than about8 psi in 10 minutes.......

next time it does not start spray starter fluid into the TB and see what happens.....

Old 01-24-2012, 01:57 PM
garymocwi
Junior User
Originally Posted by powersmoked
I am confused about the relays? did you swap the relays and then the truck started?
I was just killing some time until my son came over to help me push the truck in the garage by checking fuses and swapping relays. In between swapping relays I was trying to start it. I'm fairly certain it was a gas line freeze. With the warmer temp outside and the starting & stopping of the fuel pump may have broke the freeze loose.

The fuel pressure koeo should be about 60-65.......it should get there with in 2 or 3 cycles of the key..........the pressure should not drop more than about8 psi in 10 minutes.......
I'm getting 65 when it runs but it drops pretty quick when I shut it off. Leaky injector?

next time it does not start spray starter fluid into the TB and see what happens.....
Bought a fuel pressure tester and currently keep it with me in the truck. I'll keep the starting fluid idea in mind.

Thanks

Old 01-24-2012, 03:06 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by garymocwi
I was just killing some time until my son came over to help me push the truck in the garage by checking fuses and swapping relays. In between swapping relays I was trying to start it. I'm fairly certain it was a gas line freeze. With the warmer temp outside and the starting & stopping of the fuel pump may have broke the freeze loose.

I'm getting 65 when it runs but it drops pretty quick when I shut it off. Leaky injector?

Bought a fuel pressure tester and currently keep it with me in the truck. I'll keep the starting fluid idea in mind.

Thanks
I would put some techron in the tank..it could be the check valve in the fuel pump setup......the drop in pressure could be an injector but I think if it was an injector the truck would run rough and or throw some codes......more likely the check valve is bad in the tank......I would cycle the key a fuel times before starting the truck........this will save your starter

Old 01-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Rackster
Senior User
Tough starts when cold

Gary - unrelated with the fuel discussion, but if you aren't already, you might want to switch to synthetic oil. It will help with the cold starts.

Kevin