1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Another frame swap ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:48 PM
ZFLASH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another frame swap ??'s

Hey a little help please guys, I just heard from the shop where I took my truck to modify my rear end. They said that the Volare front end that the PO installed is crap and recommend going with something else. My questions are as followed:1) is there a frame out there that is pretty close to a straight swap (Ranger,Explorer, or any other) because this might be easier and cheaper,or 2)replace front clip with something else $$$,3) has anyone used the TEAM321 IRS for the Mark VIII or Thunderbird swap and is this system easy to lower? Going to the shop Monday and would LOVE to have a couple of solutions to offer these guys, found a Plymouth van for sale cheap if this frame swap would work. Thanks,thanks, and thanks in advance, L8R ZFLASH

Old 01-22-2012, 12:45 AM
ovrkll77
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best way to fix a frame that someone welded a piece of crap to, is chop it off and weld something nice on, I would also weld the rear ifs on, thats if you want it to sit low

Old 01-22-2012, 07:47 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
If you are having a shop do the work it's going to cost you a fairly large sum. You might be better off purchasing a brand new roller frame from one of the aftermarket people and move your body onto it. This way you will have the truck sitting at the correct stance you desire and have everything new under your feet.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:48 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Get a second opinion before you do anything else. One person's crap is another's treasure. I've had two trucks with Volare suspensions and neither were crap. Possibly the shop owner was referring to the installation rather than the suspension itself or was suggesting that it needed repair...

Old 01-22-2012, 10:22 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,448 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Or perhaps the shop was reflecting his views of the Volare front end when in reality, the install is fine and he's trolling for a sucker. I agree, get a second opinion before dropping 10K here.

There is no easy frame swap, period. None whatsoever. Erase that thought out of your mind. Unless you go the aftermarket route like Panelford suggests, it is not a truly viable option. The number of people who tried it and made garbage far out weigh those that actually made it work.

If the frame is truly trash, find another stock frame and start over. You'll be thousands of dollars and a million man-hours ahead. But if the install really is incorrect, it may be possible to remove it, repair any frame damage and put something decent under there saving you a bunch of time, hassle and expense, too.

There are several possibilities and options here. Do your homework before jumping in the deep end.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:40 AM
fergusonicford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Volarie Transverse Torsion bar suspension is an ok suspension and will even support a 460 as in Sam's truck. Installed incorrectly = unsafe. Typical installations incorporate cutting a section out of the bottom of the frame; therefore limiting other suspension options that require the original frame to be intact. If the installation is "crap" and it can't be repaired; then I agree with other comments that finding a different stock frame and starting over would be a good option. Taking it to a shop to have that type of work done is probably a very expensive way to go.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:59 AM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey ZFLASH
Did the shop owner say those dreaded words (and I can get on it right away)
GET A SECOND OPINION PLEASE
Allan
(OLD MECHANIC)

Old 01-22-2012, 11:08 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Ive done a lot of reading on this before I decided to look for, and purchase a jag to do an IFS and IRS install.

Look into the chevy s-10 frame swap. It will probably be your easiest bet, and from everything I have read, its supposed to be the easiest of the frame swaps.

It all kinda depends how capable you are with welding and fab skills. You will have to do some fabricating.

I dont necessarily think the stock frame is the best start for everyone, but its not a bad start either, it rivals every other option out there.

Of course this is just from everything I have read, and I have spent HOURS reading about this.

Check out the hamb regarding frame swaps, they are alot more "frame swap friendly" then FTE is! (no offense to anyone here )

Old 01-22-2012, 11:16 AM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't forget if you do a frame swap from anything other then a f100 frame; will you be able to title it in the state you live.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:35 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Zflash,
How's it going down there in Houston? Hmmmm... - I see a slippery expensive slope ahead..

How does the truck drive? Why did you get a truck?
If you got the truck as a weekender to go to Home Depot, errands, dump runs, etc.. It doesn't need to be a true road hog. If you got it as a darksider Hot Rod then you can do whatever you want. Not very many people have succesfully done an acceptable frame swap where it turns out nice & drives well & you get bled dry in the process.

TCI sells a nice frame for our trucks - with 4 wheel disc brakes, Mustang II Front end, 4 bar rear end, power steering, sway bars, etc. for around $8K if I remember correctly. I'd go that route in a second before having anyone hack around on some other frame for you.

Ben in Austin

Old 01-22-2012, 03:10 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Can we get some pictures?

Old 01-22-2012, 04:26 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Can we get some pictures?
I second that motion

Old 01-22-2012, 06:50 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
The number of people who tried it and made garbage far out weigh those that actually made it work.
Hey I resent that remark!! Or maybe it's resemble, ah whatever.

Originally Posted by preppypyro

Look into the chevy s-10 frame swap. It will probably be your easiest bet, and from everything I have read, its supposed to be the easiest of the frame swaps.

Check out the hamb regarding frame swaps, they are alot more "frame swap friendly" then FTE is! (no offense to anyone here )
NO, not more chevy crap in a Ford!!!!

Sure the hamb just loves when you bring up s10 frame swaps!! I've seen a lot of threads get closed real fast over there when it comes to newer stuff like that.

Originally Posted by 3golfjack
Don't forget if you do a frame swap from anything other then a f100 frame; will you be able to title it in the state you live.
I don't know about all states but in MN you need to file an affidavit of reconstruction. You also will need a title or bill of sale for every major component on the truck. I'll be going thru this on mine if and when I finish it.

To the OP.

I went with a frame swap on mine because I wanted a 4x4. It's been a long road ( started over a few times ) and I'm no where close to being done. When I started out I thought it would be a simple matter of mounting the body on a newer chassis and hooking everything up. It's far from that.

You have to consider wheelbase, track width, engine set back ( up to 8" more then stock as I've found out ) , frame contours ( kick ups, dips, widening and narrowing ) , frame length, bumper mounting, etc., etc...

On a 2wd it's going to require a lot of cutting on the cab and front clip to get the body to sit low enough to look right.

It can be done but it is far cheaper, easier and quicker to just build it on a stock frame. If your frame is messed up just find another stock frame. You'll be miles ahead.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:34 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman75
Sure the hamb just loves when you bring up s10 frame swaps!! I've seen a lot of threads get closed real fast over there when it comes to newer stuff like that.
Yeah thats true i guess, not all of em are sweet to the idea for sure.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:40 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by preppypyro
Yeah thats true i guess, not all of em are sweet to the idea for sure.

And it seams like when they don't like something on the hamb they are a lot more abrasive about it then the guys/gals around here are. I still lurk over there, Just don't post much since my build isn't any way "traditional".

Quick Reply: Another frame swap ??'s