Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2003, 07:36 PM
Elder User

mlf72f250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
French Ford Flatheads -- new castings, SAE threads

I was researching flathead fords for a future project and ran across this:
http://www.halibrand.com/flathead_info.htm#GENERAL

They have newer Ford flathead castings, from French military surplus. Not cheap, but most dimensions and SAE thread sizes are preserved (no metric).

It just blew me away that they had used these up until the early 1990s, but I suppose in some applications, the flathead is more compact...

--Matt
Old 11-02-2004, 10:03 PM
New User

devja is starting off with a positive reputation.
..I read that somewhere too. If I remember, the France got the rights to the flatty and made it up till the late 80's. I think they were cast steel though and not cast iron. So I've read.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:53 PM
Elder User

LedheadELH is starting off with a positive reputation.
Flathead ???s

I was looking around in this junkyard that is seldom ever visited by anyone other than me and a couple others, and I found 2 Flathead V-8's. On had the distributer in the front, and the other had the distributer on the top. what is the difference between these 2 motors, and which one would be better for a build-up?
Old 11-13-2004, 08:35 PM
Junior User

ptmilan is starting off with a positive reputation.
The distributer on the front was used from 1932-1948. The distributer on top was used on the 1949-1953 models. I don't know what it takes to interchange the 2 types. The early ones had an enclosed driveshaft. While the later models (49-53) had an open driveshaft.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:50 AM

captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.
the inclosed drive shaft was called a torqe tube by most
Old 11-25-2004, 09:50 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6

Tags
dimensions, engine, engines, flathead, flatheads, ford, french, surplus, v8