6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

FX4 Rancho Shocks, Who has checked -were they good or bad

Old 06-24-2013, 05:01 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how can you test that these shocks have gone bad besides taking them off the truck?

Old 06-24-2013, 05:12 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Bad at 12k

I need to get some replacments. I think I will get the bilsten 5100.

They seem to get a better report.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Joe_planet
Senior User
Mine were all shot except one but it was super lazy.

I have a set of 5100 shocks for sale

Old 06-24-2013, 10:28 PM
Autumnredf250
New User
Originally Posted by Joe_planet
Mine were all shot except one but it was super lazy.

I have a set of 5100 shocks for sale
What are you asking for the 5100s ??

Old 06-25-2013, 01:12 AM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My "Rancho branded" shocks were in pretty awful condition when I took them off. I could compress them with little effort and now they're stuck in the compressed state. I guess I was far overdue for a replacement and it must have been basically running with no shock absorbers.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:59 AM
Romeo Scorpion
Senior User
Originally Posted by TRENT310
My "Rancho branded" shocks were in pretty awful condition when I took them off. I could compress them with little effort and now they're stuck in the compressed state. I guess I was far overdue for a replacement and it must have been basically running with no shock absorbers.
YOu still had shocks. You were simply running without the benefit of the anti-foaming characteristics provided by the nitrogen gas charge that leaked from the shocks. Without shocks your truck would bounce continuously, even on a nearly flat road.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Autumnredf250
New User
Well just to update everyone one here about my progress in dealing with Ford Motor Company about these Rancho shocks . My dealership found no warranty issues with the shocks and , determined the vehicle was operating as Ford designed it to. I was referred to the area dealer rep and sent to a second dealer for a second opinion. Second dealer went for a test ride and said vehicle was riding as intended per FoMoCo specs. He commented that the shocks had "loosened " up since I had purchased it but it was still acceptable ride according to FoMoCo standards. Was contacted by regional rep who stated that my claim was denied and that FoMoCo was going to do nothing for me . In the middle of these conversations I was told by a rep of FoMoCo that I should put a payload in the truck and it would ride much better , what a joke!!!! After the second dealer opinion and a seemingly waste of my time , I was directed back to my FoMoCo dealership to see if they would possibly do anything for my as a courtesy . As of my conversation tonight with the selling dealer , I was told that their hands are tied and not to expect anything thing to be done . What I was asking the FoMoCo or their dealership to do was either replace the shocks or I would replace them myself and spend the money on the bilstien 5100s and just have them give me service credit at the dealership in the amount of the cost of the shocks or what ever they seemed would be fair. This was all denied ........ Very disappointed in the FoMoCo handling of this and my dealership . I tried showing them copys of this forum and other forums and not one dealership would even look at them . Even though these are valid complaints of customers that have purchased their vehicles and are unhappy with the cheap parts they install on these premium trucks!!!!!

Old 07-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Traveling Man
Senior User
Shock Issues

There is power in numbers. If we all bombarded FoMoCo with complaints, there is a possibility of a recall.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:55 PM
TrickTruck
New User
You are pissing up a rope.
Ford is not going to replace tires, shocks, brakes or anything else with anything but what came on the truck. If what you have is operating within spec, ain't nothing going to happen but you **** yourself off.

Bilstein shocks are like 3-400, just go buy them and put them on.

Give Casey at SoCalSupertrucks a call, they'll hook you up. 909-383-5454

Old 07-12-2013, 05:55 PM
TrickTruck
New User
dbl post, delete

Old 07-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Autumnredf250
New User
Originally Posted by TrickTruck
You are pissing up a rope.
Ford is not going to replace tires, shocks, brakes or anything else with anything but what came on the truck. If what you have is operating within spec, ain't nothing going to happen but you **** yourself off.

Bilstein shocks are like 3-400, just go buy them and put them on.

Give Casey at SoCalSupertrucks a call, they'll hook you up. 909-383-5454
Hey thanks for the reply , just hate spending money on a wear part that should not have or show any wear at less than 6000 miles . That money could be being put towards a nice aftermarket accessories or maybe even spent at my dealer buying acessories ,

Old 07-12-2013, 06:36 PM
WildWildWest
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine weren't noticeably weak until 50,000 miles, but others here have noticed it much sooner. I just replaced them with Bilstein 5100s at 55,000 miles and at 84,000 miles now and going strong. Nice thing about the Bilsteins is the lifetime warranty. If they go bad - time for new ones - for free. No heavy truck in the market has decent shocks from factory. Dodge guys don't notice because they are too used to hammering around everywhere with the clatter of that Cummins. Government Motors wants a car like ride in their trucks. Doesn't feel like a truck to me and its not because of the shocks. Their springs are just mushy.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:45 AM
mebe2k
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i read through this thread, and I keep reading that "3 of the 4" rancho shocks are bad..just wondering if the one that is not totally bad is in the same position on these trucks? (eg. right front, left rear, etc.)..maybe a certain wheel is getting less movement than the other 3?..
i haven't checked my shocks, but I know the truck rides like crap pulling my 36' fifth wheel..rear end bounce is horrible..either that or i'm too used to the way the trucks I drive at work ride(tractor/semi trailers)

Old 07-19-2013, 07:04 AM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Romeo Scorpion
YOu still had shocks. You were simply running without the benefit of the anti-foaming characteristics provided by the nitrogen gas charge that leaked from the shocks. Without shocks your truck would bounce continuously, even on a nearly flat road.
Yeah one of the front ones you could move around with minimal resistance as if there was nothing inside. The rest of them still offered some degree of resistance. I guess I should say that I was running with 3/4 shocks then.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For what it's worth, the factory Rancho shocks on my 2011 FX4 still seem to be doing just fine after about 2 years and 30,000 miles of service. I'll end up replacing them with something else, I'm sure, probably the adjustable 9000's, but I can't imagine it being worth messing with until it actually becomes necessary.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FX4 Rancho Shocks, Who has checked -were they good or bad