1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

off topic ready to give up !

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 12:13 AM
lexcoe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As John Lennon said...there are no problems, only solutions. As others have said, walk away for awhile....I look at it as one step or challenge at a time, and every step brings you a little closer to the finish line.
But certainly dont sell out, you will come to regret it.....ask me how i know LOL. john

Old 01-22-2012, 11:44 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
thanx guys , but i am just tired , 72 + hours a week at work , and cranky , and every little thing has become magnified tenfold ........... i had to walk away from it all and just forget it . it's driving me nuts , as i know what i'm doing but they are being contradictory at every turn . the 52 decided to have it's points slip , backfire , and take out the power valve on yet the third rebuild , and start making a nasty noise from the bellhousing . parts i ordered for the 53 are back ordered , or for some reason not here yet , and the wife has filled it's bed etc. full of crap she had to bring indoors for the winter . i'm losing it no progress , tired , and ready to throw some sticjks of tnt out into the garage !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-22-2012, 12:14 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,790 Likes on 1,824 Posts
Originally Posted by 55 f350
the wife has filled it's bed etc. full of crap she had to bring indoors for the winter . i'm losing it no progress , tired , and ready to throw some sticjks of tnt out into the garage !!!!!!!!!!!
Isn't it amazing how fast the little woman can fill up a truck bed? When I go to start working on my truck again I'll have to excavate to find the thing.

I don't know where all that stuff comes from, and I danged sure don't know why I can't throw it all away. The next project I tackle will be a car, or a motorcycle, or anything that doesn't have a truck bed....

.....as for the 52 slipping the points, backfiring and taking out the power vavle....again....
....well, it brings to mind an old saying I have.....

...owning and old Ford is kinda like stepping on your own *****...

Gotta luv em
Bobby

Old 01-22-2012, 02:32 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
Let the wife pile the crap in and on top of the truck until you can not see it anymore, then it will be too much work to move everything to show the truck to a potential buyer!

May dad said to me once when I was feeling the same way you are right now " Just leave it in the barn as it doesnt eat anything" To this day I'm thankful for his words as the truck I was going to sell was my first 56 that I bought when I was 15 and I'm now 42 and still own it! Thanks Dad!

Old 01-22-2012, 02:51 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 55 f350
and the wife has filled it's bed etc. full of crap she had to bring indoors for the winter. I'm losing it no progress, tired and ready to throw some sticks of tnt out into the garage
Easy big guy! Just start focusing on the good stuff that you have.
  1. At least you have a truck bed.
  2. At least you have a garage. I about froze my fingers off removing the carb the other day.

Attached Images   
Old 01-22-2012, 03:24 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by havi
I threw in the towel months ago.
I work with car guys. Some of them can focus on one build, and never stray from it or even quit for a time. Some of them rather pay to have the dirty work done, so that all they have to do is reassemble the finished pieces. And some of them find it difficult to keep going on one project, because the progress isn't fast enough to keep them interested. That last group consists of 1) one project that never gets anywhere, and sits there for all eternity, collecting rust, dust, and the wife's boxes (had to say it, lol) or 2) keep buying more projects, since more than one is wanted anyway, and so keep bouncing from one to another, trying to find the "spark" to keep going before it fizzles out. Me and one other fall into that last category. The upside is that we each have plenty of yard-space and they can sit and pile up, and we're both young with plenty of time to eventually get them done. The downside is that frustration seems more commonplace, and that feeling of being overwhelmed happens all too often.

There are days I'm tempted to sell everything and start over with just one, and it sounds like a great idea. There are days I'm tempted to sell everything and start over with just one, but it sounds like a bad idea, because then I'd have to live with the fact I wasted all that money buying, and losing the projects that I wanted. There's truth in my previous signature: "I lack focus. That, and I lack focus." I wish I was more focused, but my type of personality doesn't seem to grasp it.

Ask yourself what type personality you are, and if you can live with selling all of them, all but one (which one is an entirely 'nuther subject), or none of them at all.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:33 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
c'mon scott ya know me .............. i drag 'em home on a whim . i hoard things till i'm in a position that something absolutely has to go ! i calmned down some what , but still disgusted over it all . geuss i need to focus on getting the 52 driveable 100 % so i got something to run to the shows if i wish . couldn't get rid of one or the other as i know i'll never get lucky enough too score such solid ones again . if i gotta sell it'll be the bird as i would much rather be in an oldie than a late model .............. we shall see . some freakin' time off to unwind and play would probably be helpful but i don't see that happening for at least 3-4 more months ........................ it does help to vent though and usually you guys can talk me outta doing something really STUPID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-23-2012, 05:47 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,790 Likes on 1,824 Posts
Vent away big guy!

We're all fall into the same rut from time to time

Old 01-24-2012, 12:00 AM
1oldtimer
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by havi
I work with car guys. Some of them can focus on one build, and never stray from it or even quit for a time. Some of them rather pay to have the dirty work done, so that all they have to do is reassemble the finished pieces. And some of them find it difficult to keep going on one project, because the progress isn't fast enough to keep them interested. That last group consists of 1) one project that never gets anywhere, and sits there for all eternity, collecting rust, dust, and the wife's boxes (had to say it, lol) or 2) keep buying more projects, since more than one is wanted anyway, and so keep bouncing from one to another, trying to find the "spark" to keep going before it fizzles out. Me and one other fall into that last category. The upside is that we each have plenty of yard-space and they can sit and pile up, and we're both young with plenty of time to eventually get them done. The downside is that frustration seems more commonplace, and that feeling of being overwhelmed happens all too often.

There are days I'm tempted to sell everything and start over with just one, and it sounds like a great idea. There are days I'm tempted to sell everything and start over with just one, but it sounds like a bad idea, because then I'd have to live with the fact I wasted all that money buying, and losing the projects that I wanted. There's truth in my previous signature: "I lack focus. That, and I lack focus." I wish I was more focused, but my type of personality doesn't seem to grasp it.

Ask yourself what type personality you are, and if you can live with selling all of them, all but one (which one is an entirely 'nuther subject), or none of them at all.
me too, but it seems as I get older the automotive a.d.d is slowing down. I have never "totally" finished a vehicle, they always need something.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:25 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by 1oldtimer
me too, but it seems as I get older the automotive a.d.d is slowing down. I have never "totally" finished a vehicle, they always need something.
Even when you do finish them they are always asking for attention, they're almost like kids, always wanting your time and money.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:28 AM
1949f1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 372 Likes on 159 Posts
like the others said,walk away and come back later. i got the cab back on this summer and was going to run brake lines and get the brakes done along with hooking up the steering column and maybe cab corners. now i am stuck in the house for 12 weeks because i had to get a new knee first of the year and here is another winter with no work getting done on the truck. we all have been there so don't give up.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:49 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
went out just before this after i came in on my break , and put the master cylinder on { gotta bleed the rest 'o' the system yet } and checked for leaks . fired it up , i got no clutch { have no idea it was fine just 3 weeks ago when i started on the brakes again for nthhh time } and something rattling away especially when ya push in on the pedal . got a couple of idea's but it's gotta wait for ......................... who knows how long .................... whats really worrying is the oil pressure gauge either took a dump , or my beloved flatty { besides the one for the truck , and one in piece's under the bench } isn't carrying any pressure . sheez louise !!!!!!!!!! the truck may end up going way down the darkside if have any more issues as i may have to use it's flatty { 8cm cam , milled eab heads , merc intake , electronic ignition , 2 jet rochester carb , } for the car !!!!!!!!!!! damn it where did i put my dynamite and gasoline and flares ???????????????? the house needs a remodel again anyway .........................

Old 01-25-2012, 10:34 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Kevin,

I feel your pain. I've been trying to get my lift installed and it seems I take two steps forward and one step back. I should have had this thing up and running by now. Same thing goes for my wife's car. I fix one problem and find another, or worse, in the process of fixing one problem I break a part and have to head off to McParts one more time. I swear, anytime time I work on a project, either home or auto, I spend more time on the road getting parts than actually working on the project. It also never fails, I make a list of items I need, come back from the store and find I need one more thing I needed!! I find it frustrating watching the DIY shows, those guys always have the parts they need, along with every tool imaginable, and their projects get done in a day, at most. Yeah, right.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:34 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
yep they live in the " real world " bob !!!!!!! they even have ultra cheap builds that don't cost too much ............. what 10-20 k ??????????????? we can all afford those kinda builds huh !!!!!!!!!!!!! i geuss we all need the good luck fairyName:  goodluckfairysmall.png
Views: 194
Size:  79.4 KB to come find us before we all break too many things and a huge explosion takes place from one of us doing what we are thinking ....................Name:  that'll fix it.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  106.0 KB

Old 01-26-2012, 11:16 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know that feeling too,i just got rid of a couple of projects.Mainly because at my age ,70, I can't see me ever having time to finish them. It's allways been the trip to get there for me,not the driving it after i get there. I have a 1935 street rod i have spent 14 years on so far ,not finished yet,and allthough it is registered and insured and can be driven allmost any time ,it sits in the shop most of the time. I know i won't get my 51 f-2 finished,but i plan to work on it as long as i am able. It's my way a relaxing._____JIM

Quick Reply: off topic ready to give up !