6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

CUSTOM CCV MOD FOR 6.4

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:35 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CUSTOM CCV MOD FOR 6.4

Got board today at the shop so i put together a custom ccv mod for my 6.4

Attached Images    
Old 01-21-2012, 06:51 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Interesting...do you have a parts list to post.

I see the canister is made so you can remove and drain it appears. I assume there is a filter in there too?

Old 01-21-2012, 07:50 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by senix
Interesting...do you have a parts list to post.

I see the canister is made so you can remove and drain it appears. I assume there is a filter in there too?
There is a drain on the bottom. in a perfect world u mount the canister higher or level with the engine, than attach a small line from the bottom of the canister to an oil return to the pan. There simply no room for it on our trucks so after talking to racor i went with a frame mount and will have to monitor it and keep it drained. They recommended a CCV6000 for extra storage capacity but that thing is huge. I didn't think i needed that extra capacity as i only got about a cup and a half of oil out of the inter-cooler when i cleaned it prior to installation. There is a replaceable filter media and separates the oil,soot and contaminates prior to the returning to the engine. Racor says it needs to be changed every 750 hrs but these also an indicator on top of the housing. I might have to put a heat sheild on the hose's as there current routing is about 3 1/2 or 4 inches from the exhaust manifold.

2 -16 steel male JIC x -16 male oring fittings
2 -16 XRP female 180 degree fittings
2 -16 XRP female straights
2 -16 steel male x female weld on
16' -16 XRP ano hose (could be less or more depending where u put it) mines on the outside frame rail about center of pass door.
1- Racor CCV4500
1- JB weld kwik pak

I cut the flared ends of the oil fill canister on the truck along with the flared end on the where it connects to the intake pipe between the filter and the turbo. I than took the weld on fitting and with my lathe machined the fitting to fit snug on the oil fill canister and intake pipe fitting. I think u could also simply sand the pipes a little for a snug fit in lue of using a late. After which i epoxyed the -16 weld on ends to the original connection points on the intake and the oil fill canister. Mounted the filter and made the final connections.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:51 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good. Made one myself but not super pleased with it so I haven't installed it yet. I like the braided hoses vs the heater hose.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:54 AM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
that razor ccv is expensive!

Old 01-22-2012, 10:27 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by slowmans
that razor ccv is expensive!
I found that one on ebay for around 100.00 i think there around 300 or 400 new

Old 01-27-2012, 08:54 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

So after i week i tried draining the filter but there was nothing to drain so i took the can off and found just a little residue in the can but the filter seems to be doing a good job. I was concerned that id have to drain it allot but, looks like it will go for awhile before it needs to be drained. All and all I'm pretty happy so far seems to be working well.

Attached Images   
Old 01-27-2012, 09:58 AM
mrgreencms
Junior User
Question: Since I am new at owning a diesel truck; What does this mod do for you? Why did you install it? and I am really showing my ignorance but, What is a CCV?
Dave

Old 01-27-2012, 10:03 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
CCV=Crank Case Ventilation.

Reasoning is all that vapor and oil residue does not go thru your intake system.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:42 AM
mrgreencms
Junior User
Thank you. I reviewed the pictures closer and see the designation, but I am still confused as to the overall effects of the modification. Is the modification worth the time and money invested? Is it to protect the engine from possbile damage or just probable damage? Just trying to understand the desire to install the system?
Dave

Old 01-27-2012, 10:50 AM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
The overall effect will prevent any oil from the crank case from getting into the intake system where it shouldn't be. In the beginning, you may not have allot of oil getting by but as your engine begins to wear, it can start to develop into an issue. The results are an intake all clogged up and gummed up do to excessive oil getting into it. This will result into a vehicle sputtering and running rough and eventually breakdowns.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:28 AM
mrgreencms
Junior User
Thank you. I understand. I am sure I will have many questions when I see modifications and do not understand the why. My truck is a 2010 with 22,900 miles on it. Bought it used ( December 14th) as a certified ford vehicle with 21, 500 miles on it. As you can see only have about 1,000 miles since I first bought it, so it is very new to me. Thanks again for putting up with my ignorance. (another thought) How do you like the Banks Cold Air Induction and the Ravelco Anti Theft Device?
Dave

Old 01-27-2012, 11:37 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by mrgreencms
Thank you. I reviewed the pictures closer and see the designation, but I am still confused as to the overall effects of the modification. Is the modification worth the time and money invested? Is it to protect the engine from possbile damage or just probable damage? Just trying to understand the desire to install the system?
Dave
Take a look at this DTS Articles - EGR Marbles
this is the effects over time (100,000+ miles sometimes less)of the CCV system and the EGR system on your intake. I believe this has more to do with Egr but the ccv does contribute to the issue. The article is for a 6.0 but the 6.4 is similar in function. The investment is up to the user some people never have had this issue other have, i did it because i removed both egr coolers and this was the last thing to could contaminate the intake.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:40 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by mrgreencms
Thanks again for putting up with my ignorance. (another thought) How do you like the Banks Cold Air Induction and the Ravelco Anti Theft Device?
Dave
No prob, feel free to ask away.

I've been very happy with the CAI, the install is really easy and the fit and function is very clean. I like how the design as it promotes a nice smooth flow of air into the vehicle.

The ravelco is great piece of mind. Think of it as the ultimate kill switch. Only thing you have to worry about is the vandals that break into the vehicle and the thieves that use a tow truck. The first can be deterred with an alarm the second, well as they say, if they really want it their gonna get it. But it will stop the hot wiring thieves as it won't be easy to bypass.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:16 PM
mrgreencms
Junior User
I want to thank you for the responses to my questions. I have been reviewing earlier posts to gain an understanding of our diesel engine. If I see a post that I want to keep and review I print the post and place it in a binder which I plan on building for reference. I had noticed the information on various modifications (cold air inductions, diesel programmers, anti-theft devices, and others) and I have gone to various websites to review information. Luckly for me, I live in an area where truck theft is very low, however, I will be giving the Ravelco lock system some serious thought, I just have to get to a state where their is a dealership that installs. Currently the closest is over 6 hours away. Also after my warrenty expires, I will be adding a few modifications to my vehicle. I normally keep my trucks for sometime, I had a small Toyota pickup for 17 years and would still have it if it had not been involved in an accident, and I still own a 1999 F150 which a co-worker wants to buy. So I plan on keeping this F250 for sometime, and I will keep the maintenance up-to-date. I have been researching for the tech bulletins which come out and I was wondering if there is a website that lists all of them for the past 2years so that I can review them at once.
Dave

Quick Reply: CUSTOM CCV MOD FOR 6.4