1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

oil pressure sending unit on 2000 expedition 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 11:57 AM
expedition_man
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil pressure sending unit on 2000 expedition 5.4

I looked on the forums so please tell me if this question has already been andswered. but where is the oil pressure sending unit on a 2000 expedition 5.4? I am assuming somewhere in the vicinity of the oil filter but have looked and cant find it.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:15 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
It's on the casting for the oil filter. The actual location depends on whether it 2 or 4 wheel drive.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:47 PM
kslhol
Senior User
That's funny. I have a 98 Expedition 4x4 with the 5.4 and I'm knocking myself out trying to find it as well. It dipped to -36 degrees and my oil light and temp light came on the other night, but I have oil. I was hoping a faulty sensor or bad wire is the root, but I'll be damned if I can find it. My oil filter is tucked in behind the driver side of the bumper. I have a 5 inch lift on my Expy, so it is easy to get under there and look, but I must not be looking in the right area, or I'm looking for the wrong thing. Anybody have a diagram, or pic of what we are looking for?

Sorry expedition_man for chiming in on your thread, but why start a new one for the same problem eh?

Old 01-20-2012, 05:51 PM
expedition_man
New User
mine has a 5.4 and is 4x4 as well. and I still havent found the damn thing. any help would be awesome. please post a reply if anyone knows

Old 01-20-2012, 07:31 PM
kslhol
Senior User
Best answer I could find so far was on the Expedition forum.....

"As I mentioned earlier about the oil pressure sensor under the driver side head on the block, take a look under the engine with a flashlight, and see if the single wire feeding the signal to the cluster is broken, popped off the sensor, or at worst, unscrew it off the block, and check it for debris cloggage or just get a new one as they are only a couple of bucks."

Soooo... sounds like it is not near the filter, but more on the block. Hope this helps. I'm gonna let the sun come out, and the temp warm up a little, and check in the morning. If I can snap a pic, I will.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:45 PM
expedition_man
New User
awesome thanks! and a tad off topic but does anyone know if they make harley davidson expedition emblems that go on the truck itself? I just bought this expedition so im thinking its a custom paint job, i dont think they made a harley davidson expedition. and I noticed when I got it all the emblems on the outside are missing.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:09 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by kslhol
My oil filter is tucked in behind the driver side of the bumper.
You have the remote oil filter option. Follow the hoses back to the oil filter adaptor and the oil presure sensor should be right below? the adaptor. Might have to take the front air baffle off to see up in there better.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:12 PM
kslhol
Senior User
Originally Posted by pdqford
You have the remote oil filter option. Follow the hoses back to the oil filter adaptor and the oil presure sensor should be right below? the adaptor. Might have to take the front air baffle off to see up in there better.
Thanks !!!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2012, 08:18 PM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Yep, the sensor is on the driver's side block where either the oil filter or the adapter for the remote filter is. You have to get it from underneath the vehicle. It has a single wire going to it and it is in a very tight spot.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:26 PM
kslhol
Senior User
Thanks!!! A buddy from another Forum sent me these pics he just went out and took so I could find it a little easier in the morning. . Hope it will help others looking for this same problem when they come looking and do a search for Oil Sending Unit. I wish I could have found it when I did a search. lol.

From the view up and over from behind the front diff.

From in front of the engine

And a pic of the part..

Old 01-21-2012, 11:56 AM
areawide
New User
I just changed mine last weekend kind of a pain to get to.Fyi the plug will not just pull of you need to come in from the side and depress a release tab on the side of the plug and it will come off.Access with tools is still a pain, found a ratcheting wrench to work best.It did solve the oil /temp light at low temps.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:20 PM
kslhol
Senior User
They definatley did not make this any easy to get to sensor. I was having trouble with the plug too. How did you depress the the tab. Were you able to get a little tool in there or did you just use your fingers.. damn these big hands of mine!!!!!
On a side note, I boosted my truck once the temp warmed up, and now the light is off and both my guages are working again. So I'm happy it must be the sensor and not something worse. ( Crossed fingers)

Old 01-21-2012, 05:21 PM
areawide
New User
I ended up jacking it up and going throuh the wheel well.That was how I was able to see it had a tab to depress. It was facing right towards the wheel well and I depressed it with a small screw driver and it released the plug.It is still not easy to get the sending unit in or out I did that from underneath with a ratcheting wrench.you have to bend the lip of the plastic drip tray out of the way to get it on the sending unit.I faced the tab down when I reinstalled the unit for easier access next time.If you have the new sending unit you can see where the tab is,it goes into that square hole on the side.Look at the one your truck it should be in between the 2 plastic ribs on the unit and may not be facing the sameway as mine.You may not have to go in through the wheel well.I probably wouldn't if I had to do it again,Now that I know that tabs there and could get to it from the bottom it would take me about half the time.You might as well change the oil and filter while you there.Like I said it took care of the low oil pressure light and gauge when cold. Its never a good feeling to see no oil pressure even if your pretty sure its the sending unit Have fun.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:11 AM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by kslhol
How did you depress the the tab
I used channel locks to squeeze the tab in, then gave it a little yank and the connector slid off.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:54 PM
James Wars
New User
Oil sending unit location

Originally Posted by expedition_man
I looked on the forums so please tell me if this question has already been andswered. but where is the oil pressure sending unit on a 2000 expedition 5.4? I am assuming somewhere in the vicinity of the oil filter but have looked and cant find it.
nding unit location

The sending unit is actually located on the right side of the motor, above the cross member that runs under the oil pan. You would think that accessing it would be easier from underneath, but I had better luck going in from the topside between the suspension. Be it that I am a slim fellow, underneath was actually a lot tougher than going in through the top. Hope this helps.