1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Loner's build 1984 f150 460 BBF

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 01:23 PM
loner-dwp
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loner's build 1984 f150 460 BBF

Hey everyone, i wanted to make a build thread of my truck, So here it goes. I have a 1984 Ford f150 2wd with a 300 i6 in it. The truck has allready had some work done to it by the previous owner, but none of the work was done correctly so I am going to redo it and add my own flare to it. So I bought a 1984 F250 with a 460/C6 2wd for $500 that im going to pull out of there and put it in the f150, So the main goal is to go fast, as Ricky Bobby would say.
So the game plan is to redo the susspension to handle the weight/HP/Torque of the BBF and add some simple bolt ons.
Here are some pictures that I have accumlated so far, I havent gotten to far yet, but enjoy.
The first pictures of the truck lowered is how I got about 2 months ago.

Here is a picture of the $500 F250

Right after a good hand wax and buff

Here is where the fun begins, The previous owners thought it would be a good idea to lower the truck, which is cool and all. But when you do it by heating and collapsing the front springs, then not so much. And also flipping the leaf spring around the axle. So I ordered Moog front springs CC822 which are heavy duty replacments springs, which I thought would be needed with the extra weight, and for the rear I just flipped the leaf spring around the correct way.

So next on the chopping block is replacing all the shocks, since the rear didn't have any and fronts have been blown since who knows when. I was thinking of going with Rancho's 5000 series I was wondering what your guys input was on them.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:51 PM
big vann
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Superlift makes very good shocks.I've used them on 2 different Bronco's I've owned and never had any issues.They're also less expensive than Rancho.I think I paid about 30.00 ea.Not to take anything away from Rancho.Bronco Graveyard sells Superlift.One of my Bronco's was driven on the trails very agressively and always performed well when driven back on the street.Those coil springs look scary.The PO should have just cut them instead of using a torch on 'em.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:53 PM
loner-dwp
Senior User
How did the shocks handle on the street? I am more building my truck for street use, occasional track time. Yea those coils were deffinatly not down correctly.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:32 PM
81ChopTop
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Like the paint scheme. Do you plan on lowering it again the correct way?
I think you'll really like the 460 in there. I put one in my '81 and love it. Keep up the good work, I'll be watching this one..

Old 01-19-2012, 06:13 PM
big vann
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The superlifts handle great on the street.I drove from Greenville NC to Needles CA and back with a loaded up '80 Bronco on I 40 without any problems.The '80 was a street truck with stock suspension.Had one for about five years as a DD with the same shocks.Broncograveyard.com also sell Doetsch shocks which are also good shocks.I put a carbed 460 in my 88 F250 4x4 and it's amazing how much more power there is compared to the SBF that was in there.After the 460 you'll wonder why FORD ever put smallblocks in their trucks.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:59 PM
displacement4me
More Turbo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can't believe those front springs !

Nice looking starter truck, and looking forward to the progress.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:45 PM
loner-dwp
Senior User
I do plan on lowering it correctly this time. I ordered some DJM lowering shackles from my work, eventually I plan on ordering the drop ibeams after I get my a different set of wheels and tires that will fit the truck more correctly. The little 205/60/15's just wont cut it for the 460.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:29 PM
loner-dwp
Senior User
Well I got my DJM rear shackles from the UPS man yesterday, they look really nice and made decently. I also was suprised when they allready came with polyurathane bushings allready which is nice. The only complaint I have is that the diameter of the bolt hole is different then the stock one so I need to get some hardware. Here are a couple pictures of the new shackles ciompared to the old ones.

Here is also a picture of the 460 thats in the F250. It is pretty stock, it has a Eldebrock 1406 carb on it, which is a 600 cfm and it also has a cheapy air filter on it. But the nice thing is it holds oil pressure really well, and dosent burn or leak any fluids.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:44 PM
loner-dwp
Senior User
Well finally had a day off again, so I was able to make some more progress on my truck this weekend. I pulled the 300 out with the C4 and the drive shaft. Well here are some of the pictures from the weekend.
This is the motor before we even touched it.

So to help things go a little easier I marked each connector and hose with a peice of tape and a number.

Got the chain connected up top, so we decided to pull the motor and tranny seperate.

Here is the engine bay all empty and dirty.

Figured it would be a good idea to help clean everything up with some degreaser.

All cleaned up now.

And this is how my truck sits for now...

Old 01-29-2012, 04:24 PM
81ChopTop
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Any progress is good progress.
Just a little trick: when you go to put the 460 in, pull the core support out. It makes it a ton easier, opening up the whole front end. You can pull it and still have all the chrome and even the radiator still on it.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:44 PM
loner-dwp
Senior User
Cool, We thought about pulling the core support and the hood off to take the 300 out, but we managed without. But yea the 460 will be a little more tricky haha.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:32 PM
loner-dwp
Senior User
Well had another day off so I was able to finally get a couple hours to work on the truck. So I went to my work (local auto parts store) and got some cleaner products to clean the engine bay, since the bay will be repainted before the 460 will go in. I sprayed everything down with some foamy engine degresser and used some castrol super clean, while using red scotch brites.Also pressured washed everything to make sure it was nice and clean. Everything got cleaned up pretty well. Also pulled the main wiring harness out of the fire wall too. Going to paint the front part of the frame and radiator support, shock towers too with some POR 15. Well here are some pictures.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Galm_2
Junior User
I'm assuming the F-250 had something major wrong with it be $500 and have a good engine

Old 02-04-2012, 11:56 PM
loner-dwp
Senior User
Nope, just happen to fall onto it. I knew the owner of it through my work, the truck had sat for 2 years, and it just needed to be gone. So i offered him $500, and he took it. All it needed was fresh fuel, battery, and a tune up. And the F250 was good to go.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:01 AM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you pull the core support be sure to make a note of how the shims are placed or at least take a pic. I would mark the hood hinges and springs too. This will make it a lot easier to re install it. While the hood is off you might want to clean out underneath the cowl. It's next to impossible to pull the cowl with the hood on it.

Are you going to build the 460 before you put it in or just run it stock?

Quick Reply: Loner's build 1984 f150 460 BBF