6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Gearbox Z DPF-R Programmer

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You definitely have helped the longevity of the engine by doing the delete. If you just installed the DPF-R and not the DPF-R+ with the additional 70 hp, you still have stock settings on the engine tune. You won't pick up a lot of mpg, maybe 1/2 to 1 mpg in that setting. A lot depends how you drive it also. I'm easy on the throttle. I don't jackrabbit start at all. I try to keep boost under 20LBS. when accelerating. That helps fuel mileage a bunch. I was getting mid to high 15's highway completely stock before the delete. I have an F250 ccsb w/ 3.73 gears and stock tires size.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:50 AM
JR58
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg B
You definitely have helped the longevity of the engine by doing the delete. If you just installed the DPF-R and not the DPF-R+ with the additional 70 hp, you still have stock settings on the engine tune. You won't pick up a lot of mpg, maybe 1/2 to 1 mpg in that setting. A lot depends how you drive it also. I'm easy on the throttle. I don't jackrabbit start at all. I try to keep boost under 20LBS. when accelerating. That helps fuel mileage a bunch. I was getting mid to high 15's highway completely stock before the delete. I have an F250 ccsb w/ 3.73 gears and stock tires size.
I've been trying to regulate the right foot more and not get into such a hurry. That helps a lot.
My gearbox Z is the DPF-R not the + so I didn't gain from that, but it does feel more responsive, maybe because of the less restrictive exhaust. Then again maybe because I want it to feel more responsive, it is.
Do you have a less restrictive intake as well?

Old 10-09-2014, 07:42 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
I'm running the stock intake system. At the rpm range the truck is used in I don't think there would be much if any advantage to changing intake systems. I rarely see over 2800 rpm even on takeoff from a traffic light. Ford actually does a good job of designing the intake system to be capatible with the intended use of the vehicle. The DPF-R with stock Ford tuning and only the delete won't net much in fuel economy gains. Maybe 1/2-1 mpg due to not dumping fuel into the exhaust to burn the soot out of the DPF. To gain significant fuel economy increases it's necessary to increase horsepower. That's usually accomplished with advanced timing and a better fuel curve. In your case, you could accomplish that by using a stackable programmer such as Banks, H&S, or Edge with your DPF-R to get the HP increase to gain fuel mileage. But you have to be disciplined on the skinny pedal to realize gains. You just won't be able to use a programmer that flashes the PCM like an SCT tuner because the DPF-R has flashed the PCM already.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:23 AM
BROWN DOG KTM
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg B
... 1st highway tank was 17.6 mpg. 2nd tank was 19.2. I hit 20.1 on 1 leg of the trip. Highway mileage has consistently been in the low to mid 19's running 1800-1900 rpm (67-70 mph) since.
By hand calculating OR lie-O-meter ?

Old 10-10-2014, 06:45 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Hand calculated. While the Lie-O-Meter on my truck is fairly accurate, it's not accurate enough for me to rely on. It usually shows a little less mpg than I calculate. I like to accurately know the fuel mileage so I know how far I can go before the next fuel stop. I'm usually planning the next stop as I leave the fuel station when I'm travelling. It also helps me know if I need to stop for fuel at the exit I am approaching or if I can go farther. Knowing the actual fuel mileage also clues me in if there is a problem with the vehicle that might need attention. And by nature I'm old school and tend to not trust electronic gadgets. I'm not even sure I could remember how to reset the Lie-O-Meter it's been so long since I've looked at it.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:36 PM
JR58
Senior User
My latest Lie-O-Meter for 128.1 mi was 17.9mpg.
Actual mpg was 16.295 hand calculated.
I didn't drive easy, 70-80 most of the way but with very few stops and starts and lots of hills.
This is roughly 3mpg better than pre-delete. I am ecstatic.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:44 PM
Hefley
New User
Originally Posted by dman255
I am running the Gearbox Z DPF-R Programmer on my 2010 6.4 and it's been working great. They offer one that just shuts off the regen cycles and the egrs. That is what i am running. They also make one with a tune in it for economy if you want it. I run the banks 6 gun IQ for a tuner and the dpf-r for the dpf delete and so far it's been great.
I have a 2008 6.4 and I have an warranty on my truck and I heard that these gearbox programmers you can program your truck to delete the cat and DPF and I was wondering if you know if something went wrong in my truck and I had to reprogram it to stock so the warranty company wouldn't know I had the cat/DPF out would it show in a diagnostic test that my truck was programmed to take out the cat/DPF?

Old 04-19-2015, 06:07 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
You would need to program it back to stock and put the dpf back on for ford to work on it properly.

If you took the truck in for non engine work then you could just leave it.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:43 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
If the warranty is from a private company and not Ford's ESP, they might not take the trouble to see if you had re-flashed the PCM. If it's covered by the Ford ESP plan, they can and probably would search for evidence of a re-flash and might deny the claim based on that. Even though it's illegal to deny a warranty claim unless Ford proves the problem is the result of your aftermarket programmer, many dealers do deny the claim and put the burden of proof on the consumer to prove the programmer didn't cause the problem. So to answer your question, yes they can detect if the PCM has been re-flashed. They may have to dig for the evidence, but it's there. Any programmer that re-flashes the PCM leaves a footprint.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:27 PM
6.4 nation
New User
Dpf-r 4.0 stock

Gotta question about the Dpf-r 4.0 stock do you have to re download the deletes after every time you turn your truck off?

Old 01-21-2016, 08:20 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Originally Posted by 6.4 nation
Gotta question about the Dpf-r 4.0 stock do you have to re download the deletes after every time you turn your truck off?
No you wouldn't need to. I assume you are deleting the dpf. So returning to stock programming would cause problems.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:15 PM
JR58
Senior User
My experience has been good. I deleted last year at 98k and I haven't had any problems. Other than a couple of "reduced power" while towing. I can't pin that on the programmer.
I haven't touched the programmer since installation.
Good luck.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:08 PM
BROWN DOG KTM
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by JR58
... I haven't had any problems ....
I haven't touched the programmer since installation ....
+1

I don't like or need all them bells, whistles & gauges.

I like bone stock programming & simply ONLY deleting the regen's.

IMHO your asking for transmission and / or longevity problems with aftermarket tunes.

Mine has ran great for 4yrs

Old 04-29-2016, 02:58 PM
tankman12
New User
Gearbox Z delete kit

Hey everyone, bought my 2008 F250 about 2 years ago and am looking at doing the dpf delete and saw the Gearbox Z tuner and delete pipe, did a search and found this thread. My main question with the tuner is will my truck smoke like a freight train when I get on the throttle? I pull a 32ft 5th wheel and dont really want my truck smoking heavily when i'm pulling the camper. I like the fact that my truck doesnt smoke but I can deal with slight black smoke in order to get rid of regen but I dont want to smoke the whole time the camper is hooked up.

Thanks,

Jon

Old 04-29-2016, 04:51 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
First learn from my mistake. Blew a head gasket with an h and s tuner. I had it on the second tune which was named TOW. Cost me 5400 bucks. Always tow in stock tune. ALWAYS. As to soot i had very little in every day driving. You reallyvhave to get on it to see any. There will be some soot on your trailer. My trailer is 17k lbs fully loaded so you will be lighter and might not get much but there will be some. Good luck and you will love the truck once you let it breath.

Quick Reply: Gearbox Z DPF-R Programmer