6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Gearbox Z DPF-R Programmer

Old 03-26-2013, 02:25 PM
al dola
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i order and installed gearbox z dpf/cat delete pipe and thier economy tuner they sent wrong one i had a stick and they sent ine for a auto great people overnignted and sent a return lablel for wrong programer sam who works there got everything but i was told to install egr cooler blook off plates which thet inculed in my purchase

Old 03-30-2013, 07:02 AM
rustyculley
Senior User
I have the GBZ Tachyon 64 on my rig and I love it. I got a solid 2 mpg boost on the lowest power setting and no more regen cycles.....yippeee! I am not especially fond of the voice command deal but once it is set, who cares. I am running the race pipe (uh.....just on a "sanctioned closed course race" of course) but no intake and no EGR blockoffs, although its on the to do list.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:04 AM
rustyculley
Senior User
Forgot to add, my "lie-o-meter" used to overestimate my fuel economy, but now it's the other way around. Be sure to hand calculate because I was really concerned for a while. Good luck.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:20 PM
peripheralthinker
New User
what deletes

Originally Posted by sdcowman
Stan , according to the system check , no , it was not trying to regen ..... and the truck had always ran fine even when it was in regen and stock

I was relieved when I got the minimax installed and the truck ran good ; I was beginning to think I had some bigger problem going on.....
i am asking a purely selfish question, but what deletes do you have, do you also have EGR delete? if so, how does the minimaxx work there for that?

Old 10-03-2014, 05:56 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by peripheralthinker
i am asking a purely selfish question, but what deletes do you have, do you also have EGR delete? if so, how does the minimaxx work there for that?
I don't have the 6.4L now. Got totaled last FEB. But all i did initially was delete the DPF and DOC. It ran spectacular that way and my thinking was that if I wanted to return it to stock to sell it it would be an hour job. Most guys on here zare good with modded trucks but the average guy out there won't buy one that's been modified.

When I had the Head Gaskets replaced (blew one out) I went ahead and had them put the studs in the heads and block the EGR coolers. Same thinking, if I wanted to undo it I could remove the blocks myself. As best I can figure blocking the EGR solves the potential problems although there really aren't that many EGR leaks on the 6.4Ls. I think that concern was just a carry over from the 6.0L. Hope this helps.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:38 PM
Thasilver_6.7
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
I don't have the 6.4L now. Got totaled last FEB. But all i did initially was delete the DPF and DOC. It ran spectacular that way and my thinking was that if I wanted to return it to stock to sell it it would be an hour job. Most guys on here zare good with modded trucks but the average guy out there won't buy one that's been modified.

When I had the Head Gaskets replaced (blew one out) I went ahead and had them put the studs in the heads and block the EGR coolers. Same thinking, if I wanted to undo it I could remove the blocks myself. As best I can figure blocking the EGR solves the potential problems although there really aren't that many EGR leaks on the 6.4Ls. I think that concern was just a carry over from the 6.0L. Hope this helps.

It's funny some guys won't touch them if they've been deleted/tuned...but quite few won't buy them If they haven't for fear of the dpf being intact for the life of the truck...or mileage it has gained. It's almost like the 2003-04 cobras we're...everyone wanted one but you we're afraid to buy one that already had a pulley/exhaust (still my dream car I'll have one day) because you know they had taken a beating! I've had my mini maxx , intake, exhaust for almost 20k miles with no issues at all(maybe I'm lucky) but I didn't dis-engage egr.... so I guess it's just a choice of the driver....Stanley is right I haven't seen or heard a lot of egr leaks on the 6.4 as opposed to the 6.ohhh's.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:45 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed the Gearbox Z DPFR+ with MBRP DPF/DOC delete pipe w/bungs last year on my 08. No problems so far. I left the EGR alone as the 6.4L engines haven't had the problems that the 6.0L engines had with EGR coolers. I installed the 70 HP tune and picked up 3.5 mpg highway and 2 mpg towing my 7K enclosed car hauler on the highway. Transmission seems ok even with stock Ford programming. It seems like a less expensive alternative to H&S, SCT, or Spartan.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:01 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by STROKINMY'08
It's funny some guys won't touch them if they've been deleted/tuned...but quite few won't buy them If they haven't for fear of the dpf being intact for the life of the truck...or mileage it has gained. It's almost like the 2003-04 cobras we're...everyone wanted one but you we're afraid to buy one that already had a pulley/exhaust (still my dream car I'll have one day) because you know they had taken a beating! I've had my mini maxx , intake, exhaust for almost 20k miles with no issues at all(maybe I'm lucky) but I didn't dis-engage egr.... so I guess it's just a choice of the driver....Stanley is right I haven't seen or heard a lot of egr leaks on the 6.4 as opposed to the 6.ohhh's.
I wouldn't consider buying a used 6.4L, period. MAYBE a very very very low mileage truck.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:38 PM
Thasilver_6.7
Senior User
DAMMMMNNNN RM2738 I thought we we're on the same side here... to each their own.. depending on what you consider low low low... I bought mine with 52k miles on it...dpf intact.. as I said 20k miles later the only thing I've done is fuel her up...add a little diesel kleen and driveeeee everywhere. Needless to say but I wouldn't be afraid to buy another one.. or recommend these trucks to anyone.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:47 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by STROKINMY'08
DAMMMMNNNN RM2738 I thought we we're on the same side here... to each their own.. depending on what you consider low low low... I bought mine with 52k miles on it...dpf intact.. as I said 20k miles later the only thing I've done is fuel her up...add a little diesel kleen and driveeeee everywhere. Needless to say but I wouldn't be afraid to buy another one.. or recommend these trucks to anyone.
I think the lack of voice affliction is an issue here. They're GREAT trucks.... From what I've seen and through personal conversations, a majority of them have been misused and abused. How many were sold? 500K? I'm guesstimating, but 80+ percent of people I've chatted with over the years, don't do the basic maintenance, don't drive until regen finishes and barely pop their hood. If I had to, I'd buy another with <30,000 miles... I actually saw a 2010 with 500 miles a few weeks ago and considered buying it as a second truck.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:53 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
If I needed another truck I would consider another 6.4

Old 10-04-2014, 09:29 PM
JR58
Senior User
Originally Posted by cdruyor
Thank you for the response. I am not interested in more power- just getting that crap off my truck and possibly better fuel economy. My main concern is screwing up my truck.
I put one on yesterday (10/3). My muffler guy cut the guts out (surgically removed) the DPF/Cat put in a replacement pipe for a smooth hundred bucks. I did leave the factory resonator in place since I'm old and not crazy about noise. It is a bit louder at idle, sounds like a big blow dryer. Going down the road it's not at all obnoxious.

Gearbox Z DPF-R 4.0 ($150 from another FTE member) install was 20 minutes +-. The only glitch was I had a radar detector plugged in as well as phone charger. You gotta unplug all the accessories, turn off all the lights, radio etc. I found this out when the audible code "error 4 0" ( with an English accent of course) over and over.
I called tech assistance and they gave the above instructions.

After that I followed the prompts and it worked. No more re-gens alleluia!
Lie-o-meter was 15 mpg avg before the last reset. 17.8 after the install.
I'll believe it when I do a hand calculation.
Actual mileage before was 12.5 to 13.5 depending on driving conditions.
Power seems to be up but maybe its all in my head.

Overall I am thrilled.
Monday 350 mile trip to SO TX, parts of it at 80 mph + if the conditions warrant...and yes it's the speed limit

Old 10-06-2014, 09:20 PM
JR58
Senior User
Originally Posted by JR58
I put one on yesterday (10/3). My muffler guy cut the guts out (surgically removed) the DPF/Cat put in a replacement pipe for a smooth hundred bucks. I did leave the factory resonator in place since I'm old and not crazy about noise. It is a bit louder at idle, sounds like a big blow dryer. Going down the road it's not at all obnoxious.

Gearbox Z DPF-R 4.0 ($150 from another FTE member) install was 20 minutes +-. The only glitch was I had a radar detector plugged in as well as phone charger. You gotta unplug all the accessories, turn off all the lights, radio etc. I found this out when the audible code "error 4 0" ( with an English accent of course) over and over.
I called tech assistance and they gave the above instructions.

After that I followed the prompts and it worked. No more re-gens alleluia!
Lie-o-meter was 15 mpg avg before the last reset. 17.8 after the install.
I'll believe it when I do a hand calculation.
Actual mileage before was 12.5 to 13.5 depending on driving conditions.
Power seems to be up but maybe its all in my head.

Overall I am thrilled.
Monday 350 mile trip to SO TX, parts of it at 80 mph + if the conditions warrant...and yes it's the speed limit
Update: 365 miles and 14.88 mpg including 1 hr of idling at lunch, it was 91 deg in Seguin, TX at noon today, had to keep the pups cool.
Moderate driving 65-75 mph. Freeway and two lane.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's not bad, JR. It will improve some after a couple of tankfuls. PCM has to go through its re-learn strategy. The 70 hp setting is what I have in my truck. 1st highway tank was 17.6 mpg. 2nd tank was 19.2. I hit 20.1 on 1 leg of the trip. Highway mileage has consistently been in the low to mid 19's running 1800-1900 rpm (67-70 mph) since.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:37 PM
JR58
Senior User
Originally Posted by Greg B
That's not bad, JR. It will improve some after a couple of tankfuls. PCM has to go through its re-learn strategy. The 70 hp setting is what I have in my truck. 1st highway tank was 17.6 mpg. 2nd tank was 19.2. I hit 20.1 on 1 leg of the trip. Highway mileage has consistently been in the low to mid 19's running 1800-1900 rpm (67-70 mph) since.
Hey Greg!
I hope the mileage will get a bit better, but if it doesn't I have still achieved the delete I feel was needed for engine longevity.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gearbox Z DPF-R Programmer