6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

DPF delete and the EPA!

Old 01-13-2015, 05:07 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,400 Likes on 997 Posts
I had the banks 6 gun on mine. I am quite sure that it would void the warranty when it came down to it.

It is also CARB compliant and a much better tuner then the superchips btw.

don't kid yourself the DPF is hard on performance and the motor. 6 gun overcame a lot of it with spreading out and shortening the regens. I had <.5% oil growth for the time I owned mine.

To tell you the truth duty cycle had a lot more to do with that then anything.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:58 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Sorry I didn't mean to sound so snotty in my post above. I get that the poster is in CA and afraid to delete. Other than a few months in 1964 I've never been there so I won't comment on that. My point is that the only way to realize the awsome performance of the 6.4 is to get the DPF off. But be careful, you can blow a head gasket. UGH!!

Old 01-13-2015, 08:30 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Sorry I didn't mean to sound so snotty in my post above. I get that the poster is in CA and afraid to delete. Other than a few months in 1964 I've never been there so I won't comment on that. My point is that the only way to realize the awsome performance of the 6.4 is to get the DPF off. But be careful, you can blow a head gasket. UGH!!
The DPF being gone doesn't blow a head gasket, big tunes blow head gaskets.
With the 6.4's series turbochargers, these trucks can make a crap ton of boost with big tunes.
There is also no wastegate, just VVT control of the turbocharger, but that is sometimes not enough.
In stock form, the EGR can be used as a wastegate, but nobody really wants that.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:32 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by senix

To tell you the truth duty cycle had a lot more to do with that then anything.
What do you mean by that exactly, just highway driving vs short trips?
I also wonder if the 6.4 would have done better with a tighter TQ converter, so the engine is working harder in town, instead of running higher RPM with lots of TC slip.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:42 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,400 Likes on 997 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
I also wonder if the 6.4 would have done better with a tighter TQ converter, so the engine is working harder in town, instead of running higher RPM with lots of TC slip.

Keeping the short trips down and working the motor hard. Be it hwy or towing.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:30 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by senix
Keeping the short trips down and working the motor hard. Be it hwy or towing.
Yeah well I agree with that, I see more high mileage 6.4's that are fleet and commercially used for real work, and the guys that use them for daily driving and think they're being easy on them and pampering them seem to have the most issues. DPF ones anyways.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:29 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
The DPF being gone doesn't blow a head gasket, big tunes blow head gaskets.
With the 6.4's series turbochargers, these trucks can make a crap ton of boost with big tunes.
There is also no wastegate, just VVT control of the turbocharger, but that is sometimes not enough.
In stock form, the EGR can be used as a wastegate, but nobody really wants that.
Yep i know better than most that you can blow one in a mild tune by towing a heavy trailer over mount eagle TN.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:51 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Yeah well I agree with that, I see more high mileage 6.4's that are fleet and commercially used for real work, and the guys that use them for daily driving and think they're being easy on them and pampering them seem to have the most issues. DPF ones anyways.
Yep, that's too bad though, that just some of us that don't work the crap out of the truck use other measures to make it dependable, good thing I was stupid(or maybe I should say uninformed) when I bought the truck, because I don;t know if I'd be happy with anything else. If I ever retire this thing I hope I'll be able to find another one that is comparable.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:03 PM
FivePointo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delete Delete Delete

Of course it voids your warranty but don't say they aren't worth it. I deleted mine at 49000 miles removed the egr etc. Gained about 9mpg empty and 5mpg towing. Having said that the ONLY failure to 100k miles I had was my radiator which of course Ford blamed ON MY TUNER. In summation the benefit of the delete is the incredible power gains the peace of mind knowing I would NOT have dpf issues or egr issues and so much better mpg. In other words MORE reliability. Warranty well it's a crap shoot. Ford will deny your radiator claim anyway.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:27 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I now live in a mindset where I would rather pay 1/2 of new price for a truck almost off warranty.
With a little left, any issues can be fixed, but really warranty is a huge PITA anyways, IMHO.

If my truck breaks, I get a new one. I need it for work, there is no way it's sitting at the dealership for weeks on end while they mess with it.

The truck I have now I paid half of sticker price, with 60,000 km's on it, and warranty left. To me, warranty and 60,000 km's isnt worth 30 grand, but to each their own.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:45 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can tell you first hand a tighter converter is not the way to go with the 6.4. I am running a lower stall and a tighter converter. The trans temps are much lower towing in hot conditions , and overall towing is better but the 6.4 lacks the low end grunt to really utilize a lower stall. The engines sweet spot is 2000-2500 based on a lot of time on a dyno and my own personal use, so running the engine with a 1600 stall vs the factory 1950 results in a lot of lag of the line. IF your running bigger turbos it would only be worse. In addition the trans shifts lower from 10-40 mph the engine only runs out around 1300-1600 rpm. Milage went up a little, when i regeared to 4:30 from 3:73 i was much happier with the converter as the engine is now back to 1800-2000 and performs much better.

The 6.7 is very impressive in comparison to the 6.4 in low end grunt, i would say its very comparable to a certain inline 6 without naming a certain engine and causing a debate.....

Old 01-15-2015, 12:15 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by SANDDEMON08
I can tell you first hand a tighter converter is not the way to go with the 6.4. I am running a lower stall and a tighter converter. The trans temps are much lower towing in hot conditions , and overall towing is better but the 6.4 lacks the low end grunt to really utilize a lower stall. The engines sweet spot is 2000-2500 based on a lot of time on a dyno and my own personal use, so running the engine with a 1600 stall vs the factory 1950 results in a lot of lag of the line. IF your running bigger turbos it would only be worse. In addition the trans shifts lower from 10-40 mph the engine only runs out around 1300-1600 rpm. Milage went up a little, when i regeared to 4:30 from 3:73 i was much happier with the converter as the engine is now back to 1800-2000 and performs much better.

The 6.7 is very impressive in comparison to the 6.4 in low end grunt, i would say its very comparable to a certain inline 6 without naming a certain engine and causing a debate.....

1300-1600 RPM sounds a lot better for in town cruising and driving. The TQ converters on these seem so loose, especially with a tune. I bet you would have liked it if you maybe reprogrammed shift points a little bit. I would sacrifice off the line jump for lower RPM's, better MPG, and longer transmission life, any day of the week, but thats me.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:22 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SANDDEMON08

Those International 466's have been around a long time!

Old 01-15-2015, 07:43 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
Those International 466's have been around a long time!

Hey John R U from camp springs MD. My first ex-wife is from there.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:56 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Hey John R U from camp springs MD. My first ex-wife is from there.
No!! Camp Springs, KY. The post office prefers Melbourne, KY, but I live in a rural area known as Camp Springs. About 15 miles southeast of Cincinnati, OH.

Your 1st ex-wife,,,,,,,,Something tells me you have more than one ex,,,,,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DPF delete and the EPA!