6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Guess I need to sell it!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 07:16 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hdslider
This is a possibility this issue will happen to a dodge, a chevy, and ford. No one is immune with crap ulsd. But we all have learned a valuable lesson. If a dodge fails then what? Or a duramax? I thank you for what I've learned. But it's time to move on.

In addition why so hung up on a dodge if it has DEF? those systems are far from failure.
Move on to where or what? Time has not changed the facts of Ford's shameful behavior or repaired the disappointment felt by loyal Ford customers...

There are two choices out there instead of Ford. GM would be in play if they introduced their new HD series with the larger cabs. These will not be available until 2014 at the earliest. I will not likely wait that long to dump the Ford.

After owning a DEF equipped truck, I certainly do not want to go backwards to high rates of EGR activity and far more DPF regenerations. The DEF systems, while not perfect, have been relatively problem free. The reliability will only increase. The solid pellet system being tested by some manufacturers would be a reasonable alternative as it works the same as DEF. Deb and I spent a bunch of time at the Detroit Auto Show. Of the three manufacturers, Dodge had the best display of HD pickups. They were the only manufacturer to display a dually. After sitting in all 3 brands, all CC/4x4 models, the new Dodge interiors are very nice. The Longhorn package is gorgeous. It compares favorably with the Fiord interiors in room and quality. The mirrors on the Dodge are not as nice and you can not get the man step/mini stripper pole...bummer. Otherwise, a very nice truck...and they do not have the HPFP issues that Ford has seen. They use a different series pump.

We are not in a big hurry as we have delayed our new toy hauler purchase until next fall. Hope the new HPFP lasts that long...

Peace

Old 01-20-2012, 07:38 PM
doublenot7
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Budlight592
Well after having my truck for 3 weeks and 450 miles I guess I need to sell it.

Since it is used and ready to fall apart into massive repair bills, I will take it off your hands for $500.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:59 PM
2addy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After reading some of the criticism aimed at some of those who have felt wronged or have anxiety with their truck because they don't know if the other shoe will drop on them, I would tell them that they do not know how others feel until this has happened to them. Period.

My '08 6.4 PSD had $27,000 of warranty work (one new engine and then an entire fuel system replacement) on it in a nine month, 50,000 mile period. At that time, I didn't know how much would be covered, what I would be stuck with, when I would get my truck back or if it would ever be the same again. The entire process/period was one big mystery because no one wanted to make a commitment to me, the customer. To rub salt into the wound, when I went to trade the truck in, the dealership wanted nothing to do with it and offered me $10,000 less than wholesale because of it's history. Even worse, when the dealer sent the truck home with my wife behind the wheel, they didn't latch the hood. Even worse than that, the truck began to belch white smoke out from under the hood after all the fuel system was replaced. The senior tech's comment? "Huh, I've never seen that before." Lemon doesn't even begin to describe that truck. I then began my campaign to get Ford to do something about this truck and while they ultimately did, I was put through a three month nightmare. Ask my wife. I had a new Dodge sitting in my driveway for a weekend because I was so furious but then at the last minute, Ford offered me a large discount and I found a dealer who would work with me. I now know that I was very fortunate and while I was relieved that all was well, my thoughts towards Ford changed dramatically. I'm on my 5th Super Duty (3rd diesel) and 7th Ford overall and I thought for sure I would be taken care of as a loyal customer. Not so.

Empathy is a powerful word but underused in this world.

On the other hand I am not waiting for the sky to fall in and while I have my doubts (ask the guy who lived 15 miles from me about his truck that caught fire and burned his house down due to a faulty wiring harness) I won't be giving up my truck. So to the OP, due diligence is key here. I now have 71,000 miles on my 14 month old 6.7 PSD and outside of a transmission slip or two, the truck runs fine. Really, it's an awesome truck. Will this continue? I hope so. And if it doesn't and Ford won't stand behind it, then I'll deal with it like I did before. Ford isn't unique in respect to trying to minimize its costs. This is more about trying to find a happy median with a very expensive truck, our check book and our trust.

Personally, I am hoping all of this will work out in our favor and the known issues will be worked out and we can rest a bit easier. And for those whom are jaded? They have that right.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:43 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by LSchicago2
Ford almost convinced me to try the 6.7, because of all the "easier to service" parts. Glad I don't have to worry about these high dollar failures with the V10. No offense meant to anyone with a 6.7, but as a business decision, (and most bad failures in cab & chassis) I'm happy I stuck to the V10. Companies are buying them like crazy here. For tow trucks, they are selling 60-70% V10's and 30-40% diesels here.
That's odd... Around here I don't even see V10's in a Super Duty any more.

The only time a see a V10 is on some of the motor homes because they are cheap!

Old 01-20-2012, 11:11 PM
cford716
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2addy
After reading some of the criticism aimed at some of those who have felt wronged or have anxiety with their truck because they don't know if the other shoe will drop on them, I would tell them that they do not know how others feel until this has happened to them. Period.

Personally, I am hoping all of this will work out in our favor and the known issues will be worked out and we can rest a bit easier. And for those whom are jaded? They have that right.
First I don't think anyone here thinks Rick or anyone else in his position doesn't have the right to feel the way he does.

Second, I think you can have "issues" with any manufacturer. I had an issue on a previous vehicle that the dealership continued to replace parts several times until the warranty ran out then they said I was on my own. Even after all the history of problems with the same part. A problem the NHTSA was aware of, still no deal. (I personally think it was more a dealership problem than manufacturer and never went back to them.) But wounds heal and my last truck before this was a Dodge again. Unfortunately after 3 years and just over 30,000 miles I had to replace 3 wheel bearings and a tie rod. All under warranty, yes, but I am not hard on my vehicles, don't off-road, and not many miles.....I was not impressed at all. Friend of mine same problems with his. Needless to say neither one of us is in a Dodge now.

To each his own what you drive, drive it and enjoy it, but to think you can't run into the same problems somewhere else......who's fooling who.

Sorry if this is getting off topic.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:11 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by doublenot7
Since it is used and ready to fall apart into massive repair bills, I will take it off your hands for $500.

Hey...man...I'll offer $995.00 as a part-it-out-truck...since it's falling about to fall to pieces...any day now.

biz