6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Guess I need to sell it!

Old 01-20-2012, 01:17 AM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
I agree with Darren. Anyone that's actually spent time with a Tundra will know one thing....the frame under the Tundra looks EXACTLY like your SUPERDUTY frame....except the metal is thinner and the frame is smaller.

Toyota models their Tundra after what they believed was the best truck on the market, The Ford Superduty.

I owned a Tundra. I owned the 5.7. I believe the 5.7, 6AT, and 4.3 rear end is the best gas powertrain in any pickup truck ever made. The reason you have a 6.2 and an ecoboost is because Toyota put out this engine. Without it....you might still be driving around the 5.4.
While we're on this topic tangent... here are some pictures from both the 09 Tundra and the 11 F-350:
(Because I'm one of those 'This thread is worthless without pics' guys...)

SD Frame Thickness

SD Frame C Outside Width

SD Boxed Frame at front end

Tundra Frame Thickness

Tundra Frame C Outside Width

Tundra Boxed Frame at front end

Of all the things I didn't like about the Tundra... frame strength or perceived lack thereof was never, ever a concern. Frames have to have flexibility designed into them.

Competition between automakers makes a better product for the consumer and advances technology for the industry as a whole.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:06 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I seriously looked at the tundra in 2007. 9 times out of ten I could use an f150 or tundra to tow a trailer to work, I only go heavy once in a while with my camper and the occasional big job needing a big trailer full of gear and equipment.

So, I crawled around underneath an F250 and a tundra. The suspension and brakes, wheels, and hardware difference is pretty remarkable. The SD as compared to the ram and GM equivalents is also remarkable when you look at the suspension parts.

Our SD trucks are the heaviest built pick ups available. I could do what I do with a 1/2 ton truck but the SD handles everything so much better and will last much longer with daily use. With my truck I am using it at 50-80% of its capability, a 1/2 ton would be running 80-100% of its capability. Over the long term I would rather use something lightly rather than using the max capability of something else.

These SD trucks are the best available, no doubt. The engine is only part of the equation. The ford SD is the best choice if you are looking for trailering, handling, longevity. It does everything better because it is engineered better than any other truck in its class. Even if the engine is questionable, it's not what makes the truck.

I am on Epics team. I choose to accept his take on this, I view him as a role model in a way even though I'm probably a little older than him. What he posted and how he wrote it are spot on with my feelings on these issues.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:33 AM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford almost convinced me to try the 6.7, because of all the "easier to service" parts. Glad I don't have to worry about these high dollar failures with the V10. No offense meant to anyone with a 6.7, but as a business decision, (and most bad failures in cab & chassis) I'm happy I stuck to the V10. Companies are buying them like crazy here. For tow trucks, they are selling 60-70% V10's and 30-40% diesels here.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:46 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by darren32
That is cool, thanks.
Never had a single CEL from my frame though

Just kiddin' but now you have me interested....
Why F150 have fully boxed frame and F350 not?

If you wanna see a frame comparison of Super Duty vs Chev and dodge you will not like that one. If I park on the curb I can't open my tailgate

Just wonder why they would have the "best in class" frame for F150 and "worst in class" frame for super duty??
I agree...I watched all the HD to HD videos on the GM site where they showed the duramax against the super duty in frame flexing etc. It didn't fare well.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:06 AM
cford716
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CornTruckDriver
3 or 4 out of how many post here! If it were realy rare we shouldnt have more than one, and whats with handling fleet customers differently? I guess a fleet can hurt them more. Im not surprised they do it but admitting it is a surprise.
You can multiply that times 10 or more for the ones we don't know about. I don't have the break down of diesel and gas but in 2011 there were over 584,000 F-series PU sold. Even if only half were diesel plus those sold in 2010, it is still an extremely small number.

The issue of fleet was already discussed and thought to only be a way out without admitting anything directly.

I think I will go play the lottery, I have a better chance of winning.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:54 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by cford716
I don't have the break down of diesel and gas but in 2011 there were over 584,000 F-series PU sold. Even if only half were diesel plus those sold in 2010, it is still an extremely small number.

The issue of fleet was already discussed and thought to only be a way out without admitting anything directly.

I think I will go play the lottery, I have a better chance of winning.
FYI - on a recent KTP factory tour, a automotive magazine editor was told 2/3rd of the SD's built have 6.7L engines.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Bud - It's hard to read this post and not roll my eyes and groan. You have to remember that we live in a world of instant information that provides a huge podium for anyone with a computer and at least one finger. Sometimes you can actually tell which finger a person is using when they type their posts. This is both a good thing and a bad thing.

I don't and won't ever live in fear. I believe that knowledge is power and we each have the opportunity to evaluate all information and apply it to our own circumstances. Does a few engine failures indicate a huge or guaranteed failure down the road? I don't think so. All the information so far is showing the 6.7L to be a huge and reliable success (400,000 trucks, 2/3rd of them diesels). Some things in life are a crap shoot and some things you can control. So far the odds are highly in favor of a very satisfactory ownership experience.
Agree with Epic.

I hate to see Rickatic and Randito have to go through this. I am sure there are others who aren't members who have went through similar pains with FMC. I am on my 4th PSD (1 7.3, 2 6.0's and now a 6.7) I have have been extremely happy with all of them and nothing i read on these threads would make me go sell my truck and buy something else.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:33 PM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
After having my 7.3 for 10 years, im not afraid of this 6.7.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:10 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TRENT310
While we're on this topic tangent... here are some pictures from both the 09 Tundra and the 11 F-350:
(Because I'm one of those 'This thread is worthless without pics' guys...)

SD Frame Thickness

SD Frame C Outside Width

SD Boxed Frame at front end

Tundra Frame Thickness

Tundra Frame C Outside Width

Tundra Boxed Frame at front end

Of all the things I didn't like about the Tundra... frame strength or perceived lack thereof was never, ever a concern. Frames have to have flexibility designed into them.

Competition between automakers makes a better product for the consumer and advances technology for the industry as a whole.

You don't want frame flexibility, you want the suspension to flex. The reason Toyota frames flex more then the Fords is, Toyota crossmembers are riveted in place, rivets flex and Fords are welded in place. Much less expensive to rivet rather then place weld guns in assembly stations and maintaining them. I did this for more then 35 years, building tools and dies along with assembly line fixtures for Ford.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:02 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ljutic ss
Much less expensive to rivet rather then place weld guns in assembly stations and maintaining them.
Less expensive is the key word here.

I'm not going to get into another discussion about frame flex but we should start seeing welded boxed frames on semi trucks pretty soon then.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:08 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by GCLL
For me it's not so much being scared to drive it like some are saying. It just chaps my *** that Ford thinks that they can just weasel out of covering something that is a legit failure. I'm definitely not okay with that.

Insurance companies should NOT have to bail Ford out. Good thing I don't have a love affair with my trucks like some on here. I'm okay with whatever brand works best for me.

x2 ditto!

biz

Old 01-20-2012, 06:09 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by rickatic
It is much ado about nothing as long as it did not happen to you...afterwards...it's a big deal...the number of failures is small...but if you think it can not happen to you you are whistling past the cemetery...Ford has failed miserably in the public relations battle. By refusing to stand behind their in house diesel when the owner has done nothing wrong, they have opened the flood gates for comparison to past Ford debacles...and they should know where that will lead them...

Shame on Ford

Peace
Not trying to be a bitch here, Rick, but really, what would you have us do? Should EVERYONE that ever bought one of these trucks just give it back? I mean seriously!!!! What do you want from us?

We are fully aware of what happened, we think it's a crying damn shame that they didn't cover your fuel pump - but we're not stupid and turning a blind eye! I think many of us have probably started using additive as a precautionary measure because of your story (I know I have), we've checked with our insurance (and in some instances, changed carriers) to see if we're covered in case of a failure that comes into question - so what else would you have us do???? Run for the hills, arms waving and shouting of the imminent failure of every 6.7 on the road?

I think that at this point it will suffice to simply tell others, "This has happened to me, be forewarned that there is a slight chance it may happen to you. You may want to consider this......" Telling your story is one thing, to contine the derogatory comments in regards to the rest of the members here is just - done. Way. Over. Done. Tell your story, please continue to do so, continue to blame and shame Ford. But stop with the cemetery crap. Please?

Old 01-20-2012, 06:39 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2horses
Not trying to be a bitch here, Rick, but really, what would you have us do? Should EVERYONE that ever bought one of these trucks just give it back? I mean seriously!!!! What do you want from us?

We are fully aware of what happened, we think it's a crying damn shame that they didn't cover your fuel pump - but we're not stupid and turning a blind eye! I think many of us have probably started using additive as a precautionary measure because of your story (I know I have), we've checked with our insurance (and in some instances, changed carriers) to see if we're covered in case of a failure that comes into question - so what else would you have us do???? Run for the hills, arms waving and shouting of the imminent failure of every 6.7 on the road?

I think that at this point it will suffice to simply tell others, "This has happened to me, be forewarned that there is a slight chance it may happen to you. You may want to consider this......" Telling your story is one thing, to contine the derogatory comments in regards to the rest of the members here is just - done. Way. Over. Done. Tell your story, please continue to do so, continue to blame and shame Ford. But stop with the cemetery crap. Please?
Wow, Pam, take a deep breath...first, I have never told anyone to sell their truck. That would be a bit much...even as angry as I am at Ford. The only person that is selling his truck so far is me...and after my visit to the 2012 Auto Show, the Dodges are looking good as long as they go with DEF in 2013.

Second, I have never said or implied that the major problems are large in volume...but they are out there. To say otherwise is pure denial. Ford's track record for sticking it to the customer when they can is certainly factual. My comments about "whistling" are only to make sure that any owner of these trucks knows they are vulnerable to a "Ford Shameful Event". Would you dispute that statement? Now that Randy's event has been resolved in his favor, are other Ford travesties to be forgotten? Not on my watch...

Lastly, please explain how pointing out these facts is derogatory to the members here. I have mentioned no one by name. I have spoken in generalities. I have defended my position when brought into the discussion. Ford's behavior in regards to warranty denials has been "Shameful". JMO YMMV

Shame on Ford...

Peace

Old 01-20-2012, 06:59 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
This is a possibility this issue will happen to a dodge, a chevy, and ford. No one is immune with crap ulsd. But we all have learned a valuable lesson. If a dodge fails then what? Or a duramax? I thank you for what I've learned. But it's time to move on.

In addition why so hung up on a dodge if it has DEF? those systems are far from failure.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:05 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I think Rick is saying he'll buy a Dodge if Cummins decides to offer a DEF solution.
Currently, they don't have a DEF solution but must meet the EPA requirements which can only mean excessive EGR and whatever else that kills these diesels.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Guess I need to sell it!