6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Guess I need to sell it!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:25 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Bud - It's hard to read this post and not roll my eyes and groan. You have to remember that we live in a world of instant information that provides a huge podium for anyone with a computer and at least one finger. Sometimes you can actually tell which finger a person is using when they type their posts. This is both a good thing and a bad thing.

I don't and won't ever live in fear. I believe that knowledge is power and we each have the opportunity to evaluate all information and apply it to our own circumstances. Does a few engine failures indicate a huge or guaranteed failure down the road? I don't think so. All the information so far is showing the 6.7L to be a huge and reliable success (400,000 trucks, 2/3rd of them diesels). Some things in life are a crap shoot and some things you can control. So far the odds are highly in favor of a very satisfactory ownership experience.
X3!...well said Epic!

I own a gold wing and this is my 5th motorcycle. About a month and a half ago I went through a phase of being worried about taking it out one day with my wife on the back and getting into an accident and both dying. How would our kids be without us both. I started thinking for the first time about actually selling my gold wing! After giving it some time...I realized that I was being a little over the top.

Things happen in life and at your young age I agree with Epic...you cannot live in fear. Enjoy your truck...deal with the failures IF they happen. I still look forward to the day I buy my truck. Will it be a diesel...don't know yet.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Budlight592
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I totally agree with you guys about everything. And on a side note which additive are you guys using and what is the gain in using it. I could swear I remember reading in the manual about using additives not being a good thing I don't know will have to look when I get home.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:38 PM
coobie
Senior User
I thought long and hard about buying the 6.7 diesel engine in my 2011 ford back in the summer of 2010 when I ordered my 6.2 gas engine.From what I read now I am glad I did not take the plunge.coobie

Old 01-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Budlight592
Senior User
Also wanted to let you guys know that it looks as though they made some changes in 2012 my oil pan is metal or aluminum not real sure exactaly but wasn't aware of the switch after watching epics video of the oil change. Also they went with a regular drain plug as well. Just figured you guys might like to know this.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:48 PM
dbc001
Tuned

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
I use Ford's PM-22 on every fill. Other good ones are on threads on here such as OptiLube and the like.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:49 PM
coobie
Senior User
Originally Posted by rickatic
It is much ado about nothing as long as it did not happen to you...afterwards...it's a big deal...the number of failures is small...but if you think it can not happen to you you are whistling past the cemetery...Ford has failed miserably in the public relations battle. By refusing to stand behind their in house diesel when the owner has done nothing wrong, they have opened the flood gates for comparison to past Ford debacles...and they should know where that will lead them...

Shame on Ford

Peace
Could not agree more with your post.My last truck was a problem free 2004 dodge cummins diesel.After reading your posts on RVnet.net,diesel stop and this website ford made a horriable mistake of NOT taking care of it,s customers.I know from your past posts that you have been a BIG supporter of fords products,I say Shame on you ford for NOT standing behind your supportive owners.coobie

Old 01-19-2012, 01:02 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
If we only listened to what was out there on the internet, everyone with a Ford 6.0 would have driven them straight to the scrapyard instead of relying on them to get to where they are going. Did some trucks have big problems? Yes... were there 20 times that many trucks out there with no problems? You know it.

I bought a 6.0 three years ago, even though EVERY internet board (that didn't have 'Ford' in the address) said it would be the biggest mistake of my life. 30k miles later, the only thing it's needed were oil and fuel. If I'd have listened to everyone else, I'd have spent $20k more on a new truck (actually, I wouldn't have been able to afford a 3/4 ton truck at all).

The point is that ***** happens. It sucks when it happens to us, but what are you going to do about it? I might get in a car wreck when I leave work today, but I'm still going to leave work and drive home. If you worry about the truck breaking down every time you drive it, then you should sell the truck. Otherwise, just enjoy the ride!

Old 01-19-2012, 01:09 PM
GCLL
Senior User
For me it's not so much being scared to drive it like some are saying. It just chaps my *** that Ford thinks that they can just weasel out of covering something that is a legit failure. I'm definitely not okay with that.

Insurance companies should NOT have to bail Ford out. Good thing I don't have a love affair with my trucks like some on here. I'm okay with whatever brand works best for me.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:13 PM
mountaincat900
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i am also one of the ones that was all worried about buying my 2005 6.0 after reading the internet but I did it anyway and I have never been more happy with a truck, knock on wood, but I did expect if anything went wrong during the warranty period it would be covered. I know that now its out its on me and it could get expensive. Now I was thinking about selling it to my son and ordering a 2012 6.7 but after reading all this about the warranty denials I am very hesitant. It would be terrible to spend $60,000 on a truck and then get hit with a 12,000 to 20,000 bill on top, Im not sure the wife would be too understandable. What really scares me is the vast majority of 6.7 owners do not come on forums so I called my dealership and spoke to the service manager he's had four HPFP failures not a one ever posted on this forum.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:39 PM
B&LLandscaping
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't been around since the start, so other than Ricatic and potentially 2dumbnotto, can someone point me in the direction of all these other failures (HPFP, valves, etc...) that weren't covered under warranty?

I'm not saying they aren't happening, I'm just not seeing them.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:40 PM
8iron
Senior User
It is much ado about nothing as long as it did not happen to you...afterwards...it's a big deal...the number of failures is small...but if you think it can not happen to you you are whistling past the cemetery...Ford has failed miserably in the public relations battle. By refusing to stand behind their in house diesel when the owner has done nothing wrong, they have opened the flood gates for comparison to past Ford debacles...and they should know where that will lead them...

Shame on Ford

Peace
Rick, while I empathize with your issues and the unacceptable way you were treated by Ford, the fact remains that these are still isolated incidents. The chance that it will happen to someone else is still remote, the chance that it happens to you is, well, 100% now. Maybe this does turn into an issue that makes Toyota's recalls seem minor (they are still selling autos BTW). But until it does I personally will save my outrage and indignation for some of the sensless acts of violence or injustices I see and read about daily. Like someone else posted, it's hard not to be wary after reading these stories but there are way more things for those unaffected to lose sleep over...I guess ignorance IS bliss in a way.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Jimax
Senior User
Car/truck forums are the absolute WORST place you can go when deciding to buy a vehicle. Car/truck forums are 99% of what's WRONG with the car/truck and 1% of what's RIGHT. You have to take most of the posts here with a grain of salt. The number of people on these forums relative to the number of owners out there is minuscule. You're only hearing from the minority vocal ones, most of whom actually don't have huge failures, but rather, questions and minor issues.

This isn't to discount anyone on here. But don't let what you read here be the only factor in making your determination or decision. If a car forum is all you'll use, you'd never buy any vehicle, and that means a Ford Superduty or a Toyota Camry.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:39 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 8iron
Rick, while I empathize with your issues and the unacceptable way you were treated by Ford, the fact remains that these are still isolated incidents. The chance that it will happen to someone else is still remote, the chance that it happens to you is, well, 100% now. Maybe this does turn into an issue that makes Toyota's recalls seem minor (they are still selling autos BTW). But until it does I personally will save my outrage and indignation for some of the sensless acts of violence or injustices I see and read about daily. Like someone else posted, it's hard not to be wary after reading these stories but there are way more things for those unaffected to lose sleep over...I guess ignorance IS bliss in a way.
Wow...I could have written the first few lines of that post before September...certainly the failures are still scarce...just like I wrote when the NOX sensor/DEF problem issues were circulating about a year ago.

Yes, your chances may seem remote...but the threat is real. As an owner, you have no control over the quality and content of the fuel you buy. Foird needed to design more performance margins into the engine. They failed to do this and now the owners have to assume the lack of margin. I keep hearing about emulsified water and poor lubricity. These issues, especially the water ones, have been around for years. Yes, this is new technology with 30000 psi fuel injectors. But the fuel issues are not new. Ford knew about the Bosch's specifications when they decided to use a marginal pump...now the owners are expected to run additives and if that fails...pay the bill for repairs...

Shame on Ford...you do not see additive use recommended anywhere in Gm's DuraMax information...or Dodge...and you are not seeing the HPFP failures showing up as "owner paid" repairs. Seeing this, one has to determine that either their pumps are better, possible with the Dodge as it uses a different series pump, or they are taking care of their customers.

Either way, it is a better policy than hosing the customer...

Peace

Old 01-19-2012, 03:58 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
Wow...I could have written the first few lines of that post before September...certainly the failures are still scarce...just like I wrote when the NOX sensor/DEF problem issues were circulating about a year ago.

Yes, your chances may seem remote...but the threat is real. As an owner, you have no control over the quality and content of the fuel you buy. Foird needed to design more performance margins into the engine. They failed to do this and now the owners have to assume the lack of margin. I keep hearing about emulsified water and poor lubricity. These issues, especially the water ones, have been around for years. Yes, this is new technology with 30000 psi fuel injectors. But the fuel issues are not new. Ford knew about the Bosch's specifications when they decided to use a marginal pump...now the owners are expected to run additives and if that fails...pay the bill for repairs...

Shame on Ford...you do not see additive use recommended anywhere in Gm's DuraMax information...or Dodge...and you are not seeing the HPFP failures showing up as "owner paid" repairs. Seeing this, one has to determine that either their pumps are better, possible with the Dodge as it uses a different series pump, or they are taking care of their customers.

Either way, it is a better policy than hosing the customer...

Peace
Rick,....maybe you were treated like you were with Ford,....Was an isolated incident also.

Just say'n.

SHane

Old 01-19-2012, 04:04 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by srkr
Rick,....maybe you were treated like you were with Ford,....Was an isolated incident also.

Just say'n.

SHane
You know I keep hearing people say this is an isolated incident. (until it happens to you!) When does this NOT become an isolated incident? We come to these forums to learn things good or bad...the fact is more and more of these "isolated incidents" are forcing people to look online for answers and help.

Hopefully you are not the next victim. Just say'n...

Quick Reply: Guess I need to sell it!