6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Who switched from a diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 01:16 PM
rkmfordman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erics218
That is good to hear Byram. My only problem now is figuring how to hook up my 5th wheel. I ordered it with the gooseneck kit, but refused to pay the $1600 for a plain old 5th wheel hitch. I had thought I would use a 5th wheel to gooseneck adapter, but it doesn't sound like a good idea from what I have read. Maybe I can buy the foot adapter for the Reese signature hitch and mount my bed rails to that so my Pro series hitch will mount to the Ford set up.
I forgot to welcome you to fte its really great and congrats on the new purchase most of us had to go thru the agonizing wait my was even delayed by the japan sunami for a coupla weeks.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:19 PM
erics218
Freshman User
It seems where ever I search I come across all these people saying the adapter will crack or rip the pin box off the camper. My dad and another friend have used this set up so I thought it was a slam dunk until I typed it into google and came across all the negative information on the adapters. I'm getting off the diesel to gas subject so I'll start a thread in Towing.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:29 PM
newapple
Freshman User
Matt Can you give me an idea of RPMs at 70 mph without a load and on level ground? (high gear)
I ordered a 2012 6.2 and can't decide on gears? I will tow about 8,000 lbs once or twice a year, most driving is stop and go not exceeding 55 mph or highway as a daily driver.

Thanks!
Kevin@appelauto.com

Old 02-23-2012, 06:24 AM
Smokeispower
Senior User
My 6.2 with 3.73's runs right at 2000 rpm at 70 mph, slower than my old E5OD 6.0 diesel. Still worse on fuel though.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:04 AM
rblomquist
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by erics218
It seems where ever I search I come across all these people saying the adapter will crack or rip the pin box off the camper. My dad and another friend have used this set up so I thought it was a slam dunk until I typed it into google and came across all the negative information on the adapters. I'm getting off the diesel to gas subject so I'll start a thread in Towing.
My camping bud has been towing his big 5th wheel trailers for years with those adaptors. Unless I found specific information showing a particular hitch setup was prone to failure I wouldn't worry about it. Too many variables that you probably don't hear about based on people biotching online.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:06 PM
butch50
Freshman User
If buying a new 5er better check with the builder as they are the ones that well void your warranty if you run the converters. There are some that well void you warranty if you use a 5th Airborne Sidewinder hitch. I ordered my 5er from Arctic Fox and they installed the Sidewinder from the factory but will not install a gooseneck converter and well void my warranty if I installed one. I bought a Reese 18K Signature for my truck. It was a lot cheaper than the Reese 25K Signature from Ford.

I pull a Arctic Fox 5er that is right at 12,000#.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:48 PM
erics218
Freshman User
I have decided to buy a hitch. I have been looking for a Signature, but I found a good deal on the Elite. I'm going to order it in a couple weeks.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:18 PM
stutzismydog
Freshman User
Back on topic,......Forget about replacing your diesel pickup with another diesel unless you have exceptional heavy hauling needs as it is now time to look into the Ford F350 6.2L gas and save $8,000 + over the diesel. I have a 2008, F250, XLT, srw, with the 6.4 diesel and it has been a painful $$$$$ experience to the point that I am pursuing Ford with a Lemon Law suit.The EPA has screwed up the diesel pickup fleet sense 2008 with their DPF/DEF particulate soot filter requirements that the reliability and fuel millage of diesel pickups has suffered a major setback. The price of diesel over regular gas is now $0.50+ along with the huge cost of maintaining a diesel is just not worth the money spent. The 6.2L gas is now being installed in the Ford pickup fleet as a standard option in the F250/350 and is for the most part all the power that you need to haul your slide in camper and is the way that I will go when I win my Lemon Law suit with Ford.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:01 PM
rblomquist
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have so many reasons why I know I should go with a gasser next time around but I do currently pull at 14.5k fifth wheel out here in the west. The *out west* part is about the only thing that is still giving me that bit of hesitation with the 6.2 concept.

If I could know that I'd be able to pull hills closely to the diesel then it'd be an absolute no-brainer for me. I can see myself smiling all the way to bank each and ever time I drove with the gasser, so long as I didn't end up feeling like I had inadequate power for what I do.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:14 PM
erics218
Freshman User
I'm hoping this Gasser doesn't come up too short. I know there was a huge difference when I went from my 2003 7.3 to my 2006 6.0. I'm sure this gas motor won't pull like the 6.0, but maybe more like the old 7.3. That thing was slow getting up to speed under a load, but it handled a 20K trailer just fine. Another month or so and I will find out.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:35 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by rblomquist
I have so many reasons why I know I should go with a gasser next time around but I do currently pull at 14.5k fifth wheel out here in the west. The *out west* part is about the only thing that is still giving me that bit of hesitation with the 6.2 concept.

If I could know that I'd be able to pull hills closely to the diesel then it'd be an absolute no-brainer for me. I can see myself smiling all the way to bank each and ever time I drove with the gasser, so long as I didn't end up feeling like I had inadequate power for what I do.

I hear you with the *out west*... If you go with a 6.2L...just opt for the 4.30 gears.

I'm in a similiar situation...but going from my 425 ft/lb V10...the less 6.2L. I have to give it to FORD...when numbers are less...they make up for it with the LOW first gear on the 6spd Auto. Plus...offering the 4.30 gears...should help.

biz

Old 02-28-2012, 09:41 AM
8iron
Senior User
Originally Posted by biz4two
I hear you with the *out west*... If you go with a 6.2L...just opt for the 4.30 gears.

I'm in a similiar situation...but going from my 425 ft/lb V10...the less 6.2L. I have to give it to FORD...when numbers are less...they make up for it with the LOW first gear on the 6spd Auto. Plus...offering the 4.30 gears...should help.

biz
Not that it matters because you are happy with your truck's performance but I believe the 6.2 has 434 ft/lb torque. Ford uses hp/tq numbers at a different rpm than the f150 for EPA reasons.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:19 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by 8iron
Not that it matters because you are happy with your truck's performance but I believe the 6.2 has 434 ft/lb torque. Ford uses hp/tq numbers at a different rpm than the f150 for EPA reasons.

I've heard that as well...but nobody has ever confirmed the F150 hp and torque figures.

It is my understanding that the SuperDuty gets a different tune from FORD as well. Which does change the hp / torque figures.

Again...you may be right...and the hp / torque figures we see for the SuperDuty line are virtual with respect to rpm calculations.

I don't think the 6.2L has the same tune. Wish someone would verify it?!?

biz

Old 02-28-2012, 12:47 PM
8iron
Senior User
Originally Posted by biz4two
I've heard that as well...but nobody has ever confirmed the F150 hp and torque figures.

It is my understanding that the SuperDuty gets a different tune from FORD as well. Which does change the hp / torque figures.

Again...you may be right...and the hp / torque figures we see for the SuperDuty line are virtual with respect to rpm calculations.

I don't think the 6.2L has the same tune. Wish someone would verify it?!?

biz
Ha, I was just going to change my post when I saw yours...I was mistaken. The 6.2 in the f150 has a different cam and a few other internals than the Super Duty. What I incorrectly recalled (happens more and more lately) is the different ratings of the 6.2 in Super Duty's with a GVWR over 10,000lbs. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:51 PM
stutzismydog
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 8iron
The 6.2 in the f150 has a different cam and a few other internals than the Super Duty. What I incorrectly recalled,.... is the different ratings of the 6.2 in Super Duty's with a GVWR over 10,000 lbs. Sorry for the confusion.
The difference in HP/ Torque ratings for the 6.2 with a GVWR of over 10,000# is the numbers given at different RPM,....the HP of the 6.2 in the 250/350 are all the same. I have never seen in any other place other than in your post, why the 6.2 in the F150 is rated @411 HP because it "has a different cam and a few other internals than the Super Duty." While the 6.2 in the F250/350 is a 385 HP engine.
So,.... why would Ford bolt up to the same transmissions used in the 6.2 & 6.7 engines then install different cams and other internals, use different tuning parameters, have a different part innovatory and put up with all of this added expense because of the (advertised 411 HP) in the F 150,.... is it because of the 6.2 aluminum block 411 HP rating that is installed in the Chevrolet 1500 pickups and that Chevy will not install in their 2500 HD ??? An advertising game of one-up-man-ship and no more,......???????

I wish that the Ford engineers that were on this forum would answer these questions to clarify the perceptions about this new Ford Engine.

Quick Reply: Who switched from a diesel?