6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2011 fuel system issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:30 PM
2dumbnotto
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 fuel system issues

I have a 2011 F250 with a 6.7 that quit suddenly and is now at the dealer. I spoke with the dealer today and they said I had water in my fuel that destroyed my entire fuel system, $12,000.00. I got a bad batch of fuel in November and thought the problem was taken care of. I changed the filters and drain the seperator. Have you heard of this? I burn a lot of diesel through my fleet and this truck is no exception. I am not at all happy with this. Any help?

Old 01-18-2012, 10:33 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

I've moved your thread to the 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel forum.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:39 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Did you get a sample from your DFCM before sending it to the dealer?
If so, was there water in the sample after it sat for a day or so?
How many gallons of diesel burned since the Novemeber incident?

Old 01-18-2012, 10:44 PM
Tacswa3
Senior User
Plenty of chat on the forums about this "new and upcoming" issue. I don't see how any potential buyer can buy one these trucks if they spend just a a day or two reading this forum. Its depressing checking in here and seeing all the issues these trucks are having.

I flat out don't trust my truck anymore and feel its just a matter of time before a major issue. So much for "Ford has hit the nail on the head with this engine".

Old 01-18-2012, 10:46 PM
2dumbnotto
New User
The truck has 22,000 miles, so lots of diesel run through it since November. I did not get any samples of the fluids before having it towed to the dealer, I was broken down in the middle of a log yard. The truck has been to the dealer a couple times for a check engine light that they could not resolve. I fuel at my own facility that goes through 20,000 gallons per month that has a brand new epoxy lined tank. My fueling system has twin water seperating filters and my tank system is closed. The dealer is offering no help on this so I am having it towed out tomorrow.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:11 AM
btm991
Senior User
Wow if this is true this is absolutely unbelievable what ford has become. I can only imagine how many people this could be happening to that don't know or aren't on these forums. To the OP check out the thread called UNBELIEVABLE and see how that problem got resolved...won't guarantee anything but it's worth a shot

Old 01-19-2012, 12:28 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Well, since we don't know what's in the tanks at standard fueling stations, sounds to me like the OP has a better fuel repository than most of us have access to.

...and it still fails.

The no help comment isn't surprising anymore, from dealers that is.
This will be a difficult battle for you, sadly.

The less time consuming route is to pay the bill or you'll be without a truck for a month.

Cheezit/Vloney, if he did have water in his fuel system in November would it take this long to cause a failure?
Sounds like he's run quite a bit of fuel through it.
If that's the case, it's dang near impossible to go after the fuel stations if the failure began 500 gallons ago.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:16 AM
bookem15
Senior User
This has now gone past a small issue and is quickly turning into a bad dream for those of us that have these trucks. Ford is going to have to stand behind this motor one way or another. I sure hope that you can get som resolution that favors you and not the dealer or ford. As stated above read the thread labeled unbelievable.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:15 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
turn the claim for the repair over to your insurance company. That is about all you can do. Go and see the evidence. Request the parts when completed.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:37 AM
mountaincat900
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As has been discussed in the other posts for failed HPFP, some insurance companies does not cover this and also is it really water causing this or just the nature of the Bosch HPFP. What a night mare , ticking time bomb.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:29 AM
2dumbnotto
New User
Thanks for the replies. The dealer is one we have used for decades to handle our fleet issues, that is over. It looks like I have to replace everything in the system so now is a good time for an update. Are there any prefered fuel system upgrades for this engine? I don't need any more power but $12,000.00 per year will get expensive soon. I am looking to have it towed out of the dealer today so I could also use any references for a good diesel shop in Northern California. Thanks again everybody.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:31 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Did anybody bother to actually read this part of the OP?

Originally Posted by 2dumbnotto
I got a bad batch of fuel in November and thought the problem was taken care of.

Any help?
All I can suggest is file a claim with the responsible party, which would be your fuel supplier. What made it bad fuel? Water contamination? If so somewhere between the refinery and your tanks someone could have added a water emulsifier to attempt to make the problem go away. This will let the water pass through the filters in your tanks as well as your truck's fuel system.

All it takes is one tank of bad fuel in many cases to start your HPFP on the road to destruction. It's like running brake fluid in your engine instead of CJ4 oil...once it's changed out it may still run fine but that doesn't mean that lots of damage has been done.

Real sorry to hear about this, I hope either your fuel supplier or insurance steps up to pay for this. Unfortunately, if you truly got bad fuel, this is not something that's covered under warranty.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:43 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I know, right?

Originally Posted by Crazy001
Did anybody bother to actually read this part of the OP?.
I know, this probably has nothing to do with Ford Motor Co.

I do sympathize though. It's an expensive problem that the owner did not see coming. That's the part that hurts, it's like eating a great pork chop and then getting food poisoning. How would you know?

Old 01-19-2012, 07:55 AM
2dumbnotto
New User
If Ford is building a work truck that has zero protection and zero tolerance for less than perfect fuel then it might be a good time to sell your Ford stock. my fuel supplier is great and I am pretty sure I picked up the bad fuel at the end of my old fuel dispensing tank towards at the very end of its life. Again, these trucks work in tough environments and are going to be exposed to fuel contmaination at some point in their lives. After the original problem I changed all the fuel filters, twice. I will look at aftermarket pumps and water fuel seperators to help address this issue. If this is this is an ongoing issue there will be a a fairly new Ford for sale. Maybe I will try a Dodge.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:19 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If Ford is building a work truck that has zero protection and zero tolerance for less than perfect fuel then it might be a good time to sell your Ford stock. my fuel supplier is great and I am pretty sure I picked up the bad fuel at the end of my old fuel dispensing tank towards at the very end of its life. Again, these trucks work in tough environments and are going to be exposed to fuel contmaination at some point in their lives. After the original problem I changed all the fuel filters, twice. I will look at aftermarket pumps and water fuel seperators to help address this issue. If this is this is an ongoing issue there will be a a fairly new Ford for sale. Maybe I will try a Dodge.
I have been down this "water in fuel-no warranty" road. I have questions. Did you ever see a water in fuel warning indicator? How much water was in the fuel separator when it was discovered? Was there more than one separator full of water? It takes almost 8 ounces of water to activate the WIF indicator.

With all due respect, this emulsified water defense is getting tiresome. The owner of the truck has no way to prevent an inadvertent purchase of emulsified fuel. He also has no way of knowing that he has been exposed to it. The truck runs fine...until the HPFP disintegrates. Owners should not have to worry about the small chance that they may get emulsified fuel.

The real problem is lack of lubricity in the US fuel supply. If Ford had used a higher quality HPFP, designed to survive at the current US fuel standards, this issue would not be present. The better quality pump would likely survive a bit of emulsified water as well.

GM and Dodge do not seem to be seeing the same number of failures posted on the various brand forums. This means they are either not having issues or they are fixing them under warranty and keeping their customers happy. Either way...they are keeping customers...

I guess we win some and we lose some...one Ford Shameful Event gets resolved...and another shows up the next day...

Shame on Ford

Peace

Quick Reply: 2011 fuel system issues