Rv plug with trailer brakes adaption

Old 01-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Rv plug with trailer brakes adaption

i have a 1992 bronco with the towing package, i have an adapter to the 4 prong plug to pull my 6 x 10 trailer . Now that i have a new trailer with a 7 prong plug (using Trailer brakes and only 6 wires (trailer plug) whats the best adaption(plug) and i think i need a towing (brake controller).New to this , the plug on my trailer has 6 wires, green, red, black, yellow, yellow/brn,, green/ brown. Whats confusing is the wires hooked to this plug are as follows red to( #2 blue)screw ,black to the (#1 white screw)yellow to(#5 red screw), green /brn yellow /brown twisted together and tied to #3 green screw and also #4 black having no wire on it, or the center pin being wireless.I did install(tempory plug so i would have lights with out using the electric brakes Thanks TR

Old 01-18-2012, 06:01 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Ford XLT
i have a 1992 bronco with the towing package, i have an adapter to the 4 prong plug to pull my 6 x 10 trailer . Now that i have a new trailer with a 7 prong plug (using Trailer brakes and only 6 wires (trailer plug) whats the best adaption(plug) and i think i need a towing (brake controller).New to this , the plug on my trailer has 6 wires, green, red, black, yellow, yellow/brn,, green/ brown. Whats confusing is the wires hooked to this plug are as follows red to( #2 blue)screw ,black to the (#1 white screw)yellow to(#5 red screw), green /brn yellow /brown twisted together and tied to #3 green screw and also #4 black having no wire on it, or the center pin being wireless.I did install(tempory plug so i would have lights with out using the electric brakes Thanks TR
Hi Black Ford,

I am having trouble deciphering your post. There normally are only six wires connected on the trailer seven pin as you are not likely to have reverse lights on your trailer. Travel trailer are pretty consistent in terms of colors, everything else can get crazy. Where are the colored screws to which you refer? You can get a standard wiring diagram at etrailer online and I am sure you can turn one up on this forum running a search. Maybe I am the only one here confused, but I am sure we can answer this once your problem becomes clearer.

Steve

Old 01-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
Tech. i am referring too the trailer wiring when i took the plug apart thats the way the plug was wired , Plug is new trailer new. when i split the plug apart that was the original wiring. Other words rv plug that came with trailer u can read the colors near the scew.Seems its wired wrong????

Old 01-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
OK steve i saw the wirireing diagram and apparantly its wired right.Seems the plug i have has numbers and a color printed next to the number which threw me off.For my year Bronco the window i have isnt compatible to the RV plug. So I guess i need to install a Rv plug next to my plug, Ford originally installed for towing. What towing controller will i need?Thanks TR

Old 01-19-2012, 07:21 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
OK steve i saw the wirireing diagram and apparantly its wired right.Seems the plug i have has numbers and a color printed next to the number which threw me off.For my year Bronco the window i have isnt compatible to the RV plug. So I guess i need to install a Rv plug next to my plug, Ford originally installed for towing. What towing controller will i need?Thanks TR
Somtimes I'm slow to get on the same page so bear with me. You have a factory wired plug, but it is not what you need. What do you have from the factory, a six pin, a four pin, etc.? Any chance you can throw up a picture as I am sure others are waiting to jump in. I haven't seen factory plugs that are not seven pin on the truck, but there's always something out there I haven't seen. It would be unusual that there is not an adapter available to go from what you have to what you need.

Also it sounds like you need a brake controller. They are pretty simple to install as there are just four wires. Most folks on this forum speak highly of Prodigy controllers and they are a big seller. I feel there are several comparable ones out there and in the event you are searching around on eBay, etc. you might post the name and see what other here have to say about it.

Steve

Old 01-20-2012, 10:17 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 976 Posts
Usually this post will answer MOST questions about correct truck/RV wiring.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...g-diagram.html

Old 01-21-2012, 07:11 AM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
:Thanks Steve and Bp, just new to the 7 wire plug ,Prodigy what model # , i have seen a digital controller at northern with good reviews -60-70 range . I do not want to buy JunK , rather spend the dough to get a good controller . My year trucks are a 1992 and a 1985 and i will use one controller-hopefully swapping it Thanks Tony

Old 01-21-2012, 07:26 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Hi Tony,

You might want to go to eBay and scope out the Prodigy brake controllers, although I do not think you would have a problem with the model you are considering. As you go upscale you get more in the way of information and self-diagnostics making it easier to diagnose the problem, if something goes wrong.

Some fo the older trucks do not have the plug and play feature so if you are going to swap back and forth, you may want to consider making a connection that plugs and unplugs which should not prove to be difficult.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 01-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
Steve 1992 ford bronco Xlt the truck has a 7 prong original factory plug , for towing (Towing package)In my owners manual i see the fuses for trailer brakes etc Now my controller has to have a wire to the rear for electric brakes , should there be a wire coiled up some where for this controller .Most later model trucks the owners tell me theres a wire coiled up any idea???thanks TR

Old 01-24-2012, 06:35 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Steve 1992 ford bronco Xlt the truck has a 7 prong original factory plug , for towing (Towing package)In my owners manual i see the fuses for trailer brakes etc Now my controller has to have a wire to the rear for electric brakes , should there be a wire coiled up some where for this controller .Most later model trucks the owners tell me theres a wire coiled up any idea???thanks TR
On all the Fords I have seen the factory plug for the controller is under the dash between the steering wheel and radio closer to the radio and is clippled in place so look closely. You need an adapter from the factory plug to whatever controller you choose. The brake controller manufacturer makes the adapter plug to match em up. You're looking for a small four wire plug.

Steve

Old 01-25-2012, 03:05 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
I would definitely go with the Prodigy. Either the P2 or P3. Anything less will have to be balanced, etc and that is a pain in the rear.

The Tekonsha (makes the Prodigy) web site only shows a plug for 94-96 Bronco, but if the 92 is pre-wired, it's probably the 3035-P plug. Pretty much everything in a Ford that early used that plug. It's actually a 6 pin plug generally with 5 wires to it. Rectangular with a wide flat on one end. All the ones I've seen have been grey. Looks like what this would plug into.

Brake Controllers - Tekonsha

Old 01-25-2012, 04:43 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by dchamberlain
I would definitely go with the Prodigy. Either the P2 or P3. Anything less will have to be balanced, etc and that is a pain in the rear.

The Tekonsha (makes the Prodigy) web site only shows a plug for 94-96 Bronco, but if the 92 is pre-wired, it's probably the 3035-P plug. Pretty much everything in a Ford that early used that plug. It's actually a 6 pin plug generally with 5 wires to it. Rectangular with a wide flat on one end. All the ones I've seen have been grey. Looks like what this would plug into.

Brake Controllers - Tekonsha
Although I do not know if it is the case here, I have discovered that the catalogs often do not have all the listings. The last time I spliced a older controller without a plug to the plug connector in the truck, for a customer, there were only four leads on the Ford plug. Not sure what was going on there. I guess difference between the plug in one Ford versus another? Only reason I remember is because I traced the plug leads with my meter to know what to connect where to the controller.

Steve

Old 01-25-2012, 10:48 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
What I've seen is that early on, Ford almost universally used the plug that corresponds to Tekonsha's 3035-P. That was kind of their standard. The 5th wire is hooked to dash illumination. I assume Ford thought that TBC makers might take to using the dash illumination circuit so their controllers displays would follow along with the dash. But no controller maker that I'm aware of ever did that.

In 2005, the Integrated TBC came out and with it came a different plug. The Tekonsha 3065-P was born. It appears that that plug was only used in trucks with the iTCB.

Then it looks like in 2009 things started changing all over the place. Some vehicles use a 3036-P. Some still use the 3035-P. Trucks with the iTBC still use the 3065-P. It's mayhem!

Old 01-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let's move the diagram here so it's easy to reference (the link is one of my old attachments)
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...6&d=1174091470

I note that with many FORDS (unfortunately) the wire connection you need for a controller is already present under your dash on the driver side and only needs an adapter plug at the most ...

But it is often tucked up in and behind the air conditioning and ventilation ducts so far that Sherlock Holmes couldn't find it -

Which is where a lot of DEALERSHIP techs will just say screw this!

~ and go right ahead with a new direct wiring set up.

IF AT ALL POSSIBLE finding that wire pigtail is highly preferred...

***STEVE! If possible, copy that image and add your own notes as needed, such as wire colors

THE WIRE CODE OF TRAILERS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE WIRE CODE FOR A MOTOR VEHICLE
-Yet that are both separate industry standards, ridiculous tho that may seem...

Standard house wiring for A/C and grounds is still another story...