6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Possible 6.7L swap into my truck… Have questions!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Rockaholic
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible 6.7L swap into my truck… Have questions!!

Ok, my buddy just totaled his new 2011 f350 that has the 6.7L diesel. He had gotten side swiped and flipped several times and well all in all it is totaled. He took motor before insurance company came and took truck and gave him money so now we have a 6.7L that is sitting around a garage.

I am getting a 1997 f350 crew cab this weekend. Finally found one i want that has a weak 7.3L in it as is, head gasket blew and injectors are bad, etc etc and either way i got it for a steal of 1500!!!! and i have a free 6.7L as long as i let him drag race once when we are all done.

My biggest issue right now is can i make this motor compatible with the 1997 f350???? I have never heard or seen anyone do this swap. I know it will be very time consuming and costly to an extent but I am going to do a swap whether it be in this or my dad's 2005 f250 that has a 500k mileage 6.0L.

So My biggest issue i see of course is tranny mounting and motor mounting, once that is out of the way, what electrical modifications will i have to make in order to make this work? Electric fuel pumps i know are a must. Will the speedo and tach stay or do i have to swap them out? How will all this work??

Like i said, i have never seen this done and i wouldn't mind being a first to do a rough mock up and perfect it as time goes on, but a little help would be appreciated!!!

Old 01-18-2012, 02:22 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Couple of major concerns:

-The inverse intake/exhaust is very different. Will the older SD engine compartment even fit that?
- If you got the PCM and TCM for the 6.7L, you have hope. I am sure they would be pretty expensive otherwise.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Rockaholic
Senior User
Only thing i don't have is the exhaust off the manifold. I have ECU, tranny, motor, turbo, long block, alt, etc, etc… I assume if it fit the 7.3L it could fit the 6.7L… why would it not?

Old 01-18-2012, 02:59 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockaholic
Only thing i don't have is the exhaust off the manifold. I have ECU, tranny, motor, turbo, long block, alt, etc, etc… I assume if it fit the 7.3L it could fit the 6.7L… why would it not?
Far be it from me to be an expert, but it is a very different motor. I believe the engine compartment on the 2011s was re-shaped to fit the exhaust coming off the top back of the motor.

Don't let me be a Debbie Downer on your project though. If you have the time and wherewithal, can't hurt to hook it up to a cherry picker and see if she fits...

Old 01-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Rockaholic
Senior User
Oh i see what you are saying, well I might try the 2005 than. either way, I need a new motor in the beast. Any suggestions? I wouldn't mind another 7.3L but I am looking to get a little more power than the average, looking for 600hp or so.. maybe a bit more

Old 01-18-2012, 03:27 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
600 horse from the 6.7? Thats gonna take some $$$ go find a 6.4 lol

Old 01-18-2012, 04:32 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
this is a crazy idea, your buddy would be better off selling the motor for parts and you would be better off finding a 12 valve cummins and dropping it in your ford. these new motors are so complicated I am not sure it could even be done. how would you get the new motor to mate with the old trans?? all this stuff is integrated into the engine programming. heck ford didn't even get it right the first outing, most of us have had our truck flashed.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
If you are very talented and have alot of equipment at your disposal,it maybe able to pull it off. I personal think it would be a project that could haunt you.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:08 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you have the complete exhaust system? If you are using a Maxx tuner I suppose you don't need it but the PCM is going to be looking for a ton of sensor signals in the exhaust system. If you have every component that is bolted or connected to the engine with a wire then it might run. But really, every little wire, sensor, and anything else has to be there.

I would bet that the 5R140 would bolt up but you would need a custom tune of the TCM to make it shift.

The instrument cluster probably is important as well in order to display the specific signal from the PCM. The whole thing could be bunk if something like the speed sensor is not there.

Take pics, document your project, and have fun! I dunno if you will get 600HP but you will get a ton of torque and a real nice ride.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:46 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
Do you have the complete exhaust system? If you are using a Maxx tuner I suppose you don't need it but the PCM is going to be looking for a ton of sensor signals in the exhaust system. If you have every component that is bolted or connected to the engine with a wire then it might run. But really, every little wire, sensor, and anything else has to be there.
This is true, but remember that he's looking for 600 HP. He's going to need a tune regardless, and I believe many of those sensors aren't needed for deleted trucks.

I would bet that the 5R140 would bolt up but you would need a custom tune of the TCM to make it shift.
Neither the 4R100(1997) or 5R110(2005) transmissions will bolt up to a 6.7L engine. The new engine uses an SAE bolt pattern that is not compatible with the previous generation transmissions.

The instrument cluster probably is important as well in order to display the specific signal from the PCM. The whole thing could be bunk if something like the speed sensor is not there.
I believe you are completely right about this. Many of the gauges in a 1997 truck are mechanical, where I believe the entire cluster of the 2011 is electronic. I think he's going to need the cluster to communicate with the PCM.

Take pics, document your project, and have fun! I dunno if you will get 600HP but you will get a ton of torque and a real nice ride.
+1

Old 01-18-2012, 07:05 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

I wouldnt do it. Wish I had a 7.3 in my 2012!!!!!!! A lot easier to deal with ahd just a better engine.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
this is a crazy idea, your buddy would be better off selling the motor for parts and you would be better off finding a 12 valve cummins and dropping it in your ford. these new motors are so complicated I am not sure it could even be done. how would you get the new motor to mate with the old trans?? all this stuff is integrated into the engine programming. heck ford didn't even get it right the first outing, most of us have had our truck flashed.
I could not agree more. fordcummins.com - Increase Horsepower with Ford Cummins Diesel conversion kits

Old 01-11-2020, 03:08 AM
Kevin Ellis
New User
The 6.7 and the previous 3 powerstrokes that FOMOCO used as their Diesel engines in the F Series trucks were all 90 degree angled V block. So the block is no larger than the 7.3, actually less displacement, but the cylinder heads on the 6.7 are massive. Aluminum heads with twice the number of components for the valve train. The heads are about 30%-40% wider than 7.3 heads. So the overall width of the 6.7 would be wider at the cylinder heads, but there’s no exhaust manifolds on the outside of the 6.7, they are on the other side of the head, inboard side. You’d also have to use the 6R140 Torqshift trans rather than adapting to use any of the other transmissions FOMOCO used behind they’re diesels. The 3 previous diesels were designed, & manufactured by International/Navistar. There would be absolutely no similarities to as far as bolt patterns, bell housing diameter sizes, or dowel pin locations. Find somebody to write a program that would enable you to operate the powertrain components without it being in derate mode. Ignore the entire DEF system along with the DPF. Depending on what year the 6.7 is makes a pretty significant difference. The latest 6.7’s have more modules that communicate with each other. You’d almost need a stand alone PCM and TCM operating together, but also independent at the same time. I think the 6.7 would be 3-6 inches shorter in height due to the turbocharger location. The 6.7 turbo is above the bell housing and the 7.3, 6.0, & 6.4 turbochargers are in the valley(or just above the valley) of the engines.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:42 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin Ellis
The 6.7 and the previous 3 powerstrokes that FOMOCO used as their Diesel engines in the F Series trucks were all 90 degree angled V block. So the block is no larger than the 7.3, actually less displacement, but the cylinder heads on the 6.7 are massive. Aluminum heads with twice the number of components for the valve train. The heads are about 30%-40% wider than 7.3 heads. So the overall width of the 6.7 would be wider at the cylinder heads, but there’s no exhaust manifolds on the outside of the 6.7, they are on the other side of the head, inboard side. You’d also have to use the 6R140 Torqshift trans rather than adapting to use any of the other transmissions FOMOCO used behind they’re diesels. The 3 previous diesels were designed, & manufactured by International/Navistar. There would be absolutely no similarities to as far as bolt patterns, bell housing diameter sizes, or dowel pin locations. Find somebody to write a program that would enable you to operate the powertrain components without it being in derate mode. Ignore the entire DEF system along with the DPF. Depending on what year the 6.7 is makes a pretty significant difference. The latest 6.7’s have more modules that communicate with each other. You’d almost need a stand alone PCM and TCM operating together, but also independent at the same time. I think the 6.7 would be 3-6 inches shorter in height due to the turbocharger location. The 6.7 turbo is above the bell housing and the 7.3, 6.0, & 6.4 turbochargers are in the valley(or just above the valley) of the engines.
Welcome to FTE....

Bruce

Old 01-11-2020, 08:18 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,322 Likes on 4,589 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin Ellis
Appreciate the informational post. And welcome to the club.

Quick Reply: Possible 6.7L swap into my truck… Have questions!!