Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Freshman User

wills250psd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Integrated brake controller problems

I have little brakes on camper while using foot pedel regardless of setting, but when I use the hand lever it will lock them up. anybody had this problem, and know the solution? thanks will. ps its a 08 F250 psd
Old 01-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Elder User

maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.
First question, did it just start doing this or is it a new truck? Reason being the integrated controller works differently than the old ones in that the trailer braking is determined by how hard you use the truck brakes, you don't feel the tug from the trailer like you used to. If it just started doing this then there's a problem, are there any faults in the message center? I'm thinking pretty much the only things it could be are the controller itself or perhaps the switch on the master cylinder.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Freshman User

It just started doing this I have owned it since it was new.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:28 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
check the brakes on the trailer to see if they are adjusted properly and if in fact all of them are working.

Quick test can be for someone to step on the brakes and you go to each trailer wheel and listen for a buzz.

Buzz at each wheel will at least indicate power to the drum.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 01-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Postmaster

RV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
First question, did it just start doing this or is it a new truck? Reason being the integrated controller works differently than the old ones in that the trailer braking is determined by how hard you use the truck brakes, you don't feel the tug from the trailer like you used to. If it just started doing this then there's a problem, are there any faults in the message center? I'm thinking pretty much the only things it could be are the controller itself or perhaps the switch on the master cylinder.
Agree. You know it's not the trailer brakes and since you can lock em up manually, you know it's not the wiring. All that's left is the controller or switch on the master.

Steve
2010 F150 super cab, box stock, bed slide, ARE bed cover
Old 01-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Freshman User

Trailer brakes are not the problem, they are adjusted correctly. when you are applying the foot brake there is a small hum at the wheels but when you use the hand lever the buzz is very loud. if the tire is jacked up and I spin the tire by hand and someone applys the foot brake it barely slows the tire down but if you use the hand lever it locks the tire up immediatly.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Postmaster

RV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by wills250psd View Post
Trailer brakes are not the problem, they are adjusted correctly. when you are applying the foot brake there is a small hum at the wheels but when you use the hand lever the buzz is very loud. if the tire is jacked up and I spin the tire by hand and someone applys the foot brake it barely slows the tire down but if you use the hand lever it locks the tire up immediatly.
You do understand that with the integrated controller you do have to be moving and used the brakes? Just sitting still the output is only a little over 1 amp to the brakes with the setting on the highest setting and the pedal fully depressed.

Steve
Old 01-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Tech View Post
You do understand that with the integrated controller you do have to be moving and used the brakes? Just sitting still the output is only a little over 1 amp to the brakes with the setting on the highest setting and the pedal fully depressed.

Steve
No I did not know that, I only noticed this when I replaced all brakes bearings and drums on the camper. thats when I noticed the issue I have described but I assumed when the foot brake is fully applied and all lights on controller lite up to full power that it would be the same as useing the hand lever.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wills250psd View Post
No I did not know that, I only noticed this when I replaced all brakes bearings and drums on the camper. thats when I noticed the issue I have described but I assumed when the foot brake is fully applied and all lights on controller lite up to full power that it would be the same as useing the hand lever.
Provided you are using a controller with software built in to sense the rate of deacceleration, which the integrated ones have, the output to the brakes is minimal until it senses deacceleration. I did a write-up on this in the Towing and Trailer forum which I think is saved under the top towing file. I used my tester and took pictures of the various amp readings sitting still with the pedal depressed. You basically have just a small bit, which it sounds like you have from your prior post.

Even the higher end add-on controllers work the same way. You have to test the real world effect moving. Even is a slow rolling test, you don't get much until you have some speed and nail the brakes. I think for the end user, it is much harder to tell what the software driven controllers are doing. In the olden days, you stepped on the pedal and in a second you had full boost. Not anymore.

Steve
Old 01-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Freshman User

Thanks Steve, I thank thats it I am going on a long trip next month and did not want any problems I need good brakes for a 1200 mile trip.Thanks again Will
Old 01-18-2012, 04:37 PM