6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Dual zone heat

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:39 AM
roadtech
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual zone heat

Well guys it was 40 below heading up to Fort Mcmurray yesterday morning. The 6.7 was running great but the heat on my side was poor and onthe pass side was hot. Played with the control but can't get good heat on the dr side. Warr is over. Any thoughts. Or time for a heater module
Thanks Don

Old 01-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Jimax
Senior User
what happens if you turn off dual mode and just use single-zone climate control?

The last time I ever took apart a dual-zone climate control unit was when I was removing the entire heater box/evaporator core out of my 1998 BMW. There were three hoses that went in to the heater box (instead of the regular two) in the firewall. One for driver's side, one for passenger's side, one for return. Usually, it's one in and one out. I'm not sure how our trucks work, but I have to assume it's similar, so it's possible that hot coolant isn't circulating through one of the lines that feeds the driver's side.

But, to narrow down if it's a physical problem versus a control unit problem, put the climate control in single mode and see if you get good heat out of both side floor vents, which is where most of the heat is directed.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:22 AM
jfritz_drfritz
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by roadtech
Well guys it was 40 below heading up to Fort Mcmurray yesterday morning. The 6.7 was running great but the heat on my side was poor and onthe pass side was hot. Played with the control but can't get good heat on the dr side. Warr is over. Any thoughts. Or time for a heater module
Thanks Don
Surprised the warranty is up - there is a 3 year warranty on the whole truck - they have not been available for 3 yrs have they?

Old 01-18-2012, 09:56 AM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jfritz_drfritz
Surprised the warranty is up - there is a 3 year warranty on the whole truck - they have not been available for 3 yrs have they?
Definitely not 3 years, but with several people already reporting over 100,000 miles on a 2011, I bet his miles are up!

Old 01-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by jfritz_drfritz
Nope, but many have over 36,000 miles.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:45 AM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
General warranty is 60,000km for a vehicle purchased in Canada (which is like 37,282 miles) and since Ft. Mac was mentioned I could very easily believe the high km.

Ummm as for the DATC problem I'm not sure 'cause I don't have that feature, it's still cold even when you override the thermostatic control and set to 'HI' on both sides? Temperature blend door not jammed or anything? Have to determine if it's a electronic issue or a mechanical issue...

Old 01-18-2012, 11:59 AM
vermilian
Senior User
Originally Posted by roadtech
Thanks Don
I have a 2011 as well with dual zone, and i had this hhappen to me about a month after i bought it. Except mine happened in the reverse with the a/c on. the passenger side would blow cold and the driver side was stuck on hot. I found out the problem. What happened was according to my dealer, the Blend box that shifts with manual over ride, became jammed due to the box swelling from the heat, and then once it cooled down it shrunk and got stuck in its final posstion and the motor would move the door. (just like Trent suggested)
Took it to the dealer and they had to pull the unit, i was told that they've had a couple 11's come back for that same issue.
I know they had to take apart the entire dash assembly incliding my center consel cause to get to it though.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:39 PM
Suicidal
Freshman User
Any for sure answer on this? I am having the exact same problem.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:14 PM
Suicidal
Freshman User
anyone???

Old 11-25-2015, 11:54 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
2011s have an issue with the blend door... I newer one was made for 2012 and up... There is a TSB out on it.

I fixed my 2011 with a Forscan App, ran a diagnostic check and it fixed the HVAC as it moves everything around. Mine was so bad no heat or AC would come out of any of the vents.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:29 AM
Suicidal
Freshman User
The dealership already replaced the blend door actuator then later found out that was not the problem, still charged me $280. now they say it will be $1550 to replace something else, so now I'm trying to figure out exactly what is wrong and hopefully do it myself.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:53 AM
Suicidal
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Dakster
2011s have an issue with the blend door... I newer one was made for 2012 and up... There is a TSB out on it.

I fixed my 2011 with a Forscan App, ran a diagnostic check and it fixed the HVAC as it moves everything around. Mine was so bad no heat or AC would come out of any of the vents.
Would an TSB be under a warranty still? I was looking at that Forscan app, is it pretty easy to use? You just need to get the adaptor, correct? I'm still fighting on taking this to a dealership, as I am pretty confident in my skills but I'd rather know exactly what the problem is before I tear into this beast.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:26 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
TSB's are not an extension of the warranty.

A recall is.

TSB does however give a tech the direction to look at for a problem that maybe common as of late.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:33 PM
Suicidal
Freshman User
ok, found the receipt. The actuator they replaced did not fix the problem. Anyone have any other ideas rather than spend $1550 and that not be the correct fix either?

Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2015, 05:49 PM
Suicidal
Freshman User
Go ahead and delete this thread, it's not about big tires, LED bars, or navigation so nobody knows what's going on.

Quick Reply: Dual zone heat