Taking all advice on Twin turboing my 351 .60 over

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Tony79shortbed
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking all advice on Twin turboing my 351 .60 over

Here is what I have and what I want to do. This is going to be my first turbo on something other then a Honda 4 banger. So I am open to all advice because i have a feeling they are VERY different builds.

I am getting a 351 Windsor. It spun a bearing on the #1 cylinder. So I will be needing to do a build on it. Needing a crank and a rod. It is STOCK engine other then being bored out. Stock cam and everything. I am unsure about the pistons. Have not pulled the heads yet. Which brings up the fact that they are just E7s.

Next is the turbo kit. Comes with twin M12 A/R 50 turbos ("cold" side .50/"hot side" .63), as well as an inter cooler and piping. It is a complete kit. BOVs and all.

The manifolds are top mount. Will post a picture with the thread.

Here are my main questions:
1. It is set up for up to 20 pounds of boost, with this will I need forged internals?
2. What is a good compression to run for a twin turbo set up?
3. Heads? Work the E7s? Find some GT40s? Or Aftermarket? I am working on a budget but will wait if it is a MUST HAVE. If I can get away with it being safe on the cast iron heads I will spend the money to get them worked, PnP or whatever I need.
4. Cam choices? No idea where to go, Hondas you stay stock for the most part.
5. Intake and fuel set up? I was looking to go 3x2 before this find. Will I be able to run a carb or will I have to do FI? I know I have to add a stand alone computer and new harness for the tuning and all.

Please, any tips that you guys have are welcome. I have done turbo but not on a V8. I want power but I would like streetable if possible.

If it helps at all. I am putting this in my 1979 F100 after I get done with the CV front end and an axle flip in the rear.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Tony79shortbed
Junior User
Well, I cannot figure out how to upload pictures. Photobucketing the link only comes out as an image code.

Will work on that, lol

Old 01-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
A better flowing set of heads will definitely help, but your biggest issue is going to be your fuel system. It's not going to be able to support half of what that kit is claiming to make. Then it will need some type of aftermarket tuning.
At higher boost pressures, I would suggest you upgrade the main, rod and head bolts to ARP pieces, and install a girdle over the mains.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Tony79shortbed
Junior User
Originally Posted by Blurry94
A better flowing set of heads will definitely help, but your biggest issue is going to be your fuel system. It's not going to be able to support half of what that kit is claiming to make. Then it will need some type of aftermarket tuning.
At higher boost pressures, I would suggest you upgrade the main, rod and head bolts to ARP pieces, and install a girdle over the mains.
Would cast iron heads work or will I need a set of aluminum heads?
I know I will be putting in an inline fuel pump and upgrading the lines.
The tuning I will have a shop do. I know that is over my head.

I was planning on keeping it between 8 and 12 pounds. I was hoping with a lower compression, under 9.1 or 9, I would be able to keep stock rods with the ARP bolts along with the head studs.

I will take note on the girdle. Have not been told to use one yet. So that is new.

Thank you,

Old 01-22-2012, 11:16 PM
Blurry94
GT-40's would be a slight upgrade over stock heads, but there are better aftermarket heads out there both cast and aluminum. It really depends on your goals and your budget.

As for your fuel system, I'd recommend using 42lb injectors. These can be tuned to perform great on a street driven vehicle and support plenty of power. I ran the same ones for many years and never had a driveability issue with them...and I do my own tuning.

If you do plan on installing a girdle, I'd recommend one from Canton for the mains. It is a thick piece and compact and will work with many aftermarket oil pans. It's possible that the stock oil pan may be used with some tweeking/modifying, though I've never tried to make one work. Most oil pan/girdle kits, like the Canton kits, will come with everything you need to do a swap; pan, girdle and oil pump pick-up, and some kits even come with a dipstick and/or windage tray.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Tony79shortbed
Junior User
Originally Posted by Blurry94
GT-40's would be a slight upgrade over stock heads, but there are better aftermarket heads out there both cast and aluminum. It really depends on your goals and your budget.

As for your fuel system, I'd recommend using 42lb injectors. These can be tuned to perform great on a street driven vehicle and support plenty of power. I ran the same ones for many years and never had a driveability issue with them...and I do my own tuning.

If you do plan on installing a girdle, I'd recommend one from Canton for the mains. It is a thick piece and compact and will work with many aftermarket oil pans. It's possible that the stock oil pan may be used with some tweeking/modifying, though I've never tried to make one work. Most oil pan/girdle kits, like the Canton kits, will come with everything you need to do a swap; pan, girdle and oil pump pick-up, and some kits even come with a dipstick and/or windage tray.

What type of cast iron heads do they offer as an aftermarket upgrade? I have not seen anything like that. I might be able to afford a cheep set of aluminum heads. Probably used since I know there are no cheep sets.

When you say injectors, you mean if i go fuel injected? I am leaning towards staying carbed.

Oil pan will be way down the road. I am putting it into a 79 Ford F100 with the Crown Vic front clip. So, I do not know if they will make a kit for this but I am hoping a CV kit will work.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:08 PM
Blurry94
Dart, RHS and World Products make cast heads for small block Fords. Your other option would be a set of GT-40s and you could probably find a used set for under $500.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
In most cases, when you actually do the analysis for most engines in comman applications, you can actually get just as much power from a single turbo as a twin set-up....unless we are talking high $ racing applications

Old 02-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Tony79shortbed
Junior User
Originally Posted by Beechkid
In most cases, when you actually do the analysis for most engines in comman applications, you can actually get just as much power from a single turbo as a twin set-up....unless we are talking high $ racing applications

Yeah, but it looks cooler with 2.
This truck will never be that fast and it is more or a cruiser.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony79shortbed
Yeah, but it looks cooler with 2.
This truck will never be that fast and it is more or a cruiser.
Very true!!!! In my younger days they use to build a fake blower that mounted above your carbs...came with drive belts, duel carbs, etc!