6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

SG II Accuracy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 03:37 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by dchamberlain
In my mind, this seriously deprecates the value of the Scangauge as a diagnostic tool. I would not want to have torn into a truck and done a EGR and oil cooler replacement only to find out that I did it because of bad information from a gauge.
That is my concern with the SG as well. All the X-gauge code seems to be a lot of tribal knowledge passed around on forums like this. Copied and pasted who knows how many times, until everyone believes it was handed down from god. But nobody really knows where the codes really came from. Not to mention all the key presses necessary to program the thing, and the inherent opportunities for mistakes.

Well, it is cheap. That's the best thing I can say for it.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:40 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
But nobody really knows where the codes really came from. Not to mention all the key presses necessary to program the thing, and the inherent opportunities for mistakes.

Well, it is cheap. That's the best thing I can say for it.
First, I agree a person really needs to be accurate when entering these codes.

Second, the majority, if not all of these gauges were created by James DeLong of Linear Logic, the makers of the Scangauge II. He showed up on the Powerstroke Nation forums and just started making codes for the 6.0L.

So, the history of the EOT gauge.

This first one was the original. Found it wasn't as accurate as it should be.

TXD: 07E0221310

RXF: 046205130610

RXD: 3010

MTH: 000901F4FFD8

NAM: EOT

The second one here was better but he had made an error. And here is the link to the discussion on this EOT:

PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum - View Single Post - Scangauge II FICM

TXD: 07E0221310

RXF: 046245130610

RXD: 3010

MTH: 00090005F05F

NAM: EOT

Which brings us to the final product for EOT. Which is now the one on their website:

TXD:07E0221310
RXF:046245130610
RXD:3010
MTH:00090005F060
EOT (This is the one I use now)

I also have a Torque APP that I have been using. I have compared the SGII readings for EOT and ECT with this app. They are almost identical. Of course, lifting my foot off the throttle while switching OBD2 plugs, my ECT would drop a couple degrees. (shouldn't be doing this while driving )

One time James provided, through a private e-mail provided by frenchy750 at this link: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ml#post9753800 the Xgauge for ECT, so we could change f*WT to ECT. I have never used this one, but might do it to check the accuracy of it.

Engine Coolant Temperature (Degrees F)
TXD: 07E0221139
RXF: 046205110639
RXD: 3008
MTH: 000200010000
NAM: ECT

Yes, these Xgauges have been copied and pasted and moved so much that I have trouble remembering where and when things took place. But, almost every Xgauge I use was developed by James DeLong. He can be contacted at the Scangauge II home page: ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools

James is a very helpful person. You have an issue or question, He is right there to help.

Sean

Old 01-22-2012, 05:17 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
That is because the stock sensors and your add-on sensors are in different locations.

I agree 100% with this^^^^ Even a slighlty diff location could skew results

Originally Posted by DevilDocTater
Negative, they are in the same places. Give or take a couple. inches of hose. I think the stock setting on the SGII for fWT is off for our trucks as it is just a generic parameter
So How did you get the AM senders so Close?? to the OEM Senders
Did you splice into the OEM wiring Harness??

Where is your sender for Coolant temp at??? Give or Take a Couple inches of Hose May Not Cut it. I would almost be willing to Bet that Your SGII is Closer to the Actual Temp than your Standalone Gauge is

The OEM sender is right B4 the thermostate in the Front Cover Because this is the Coolants Hottest point and also where the Temp is controlled at

When I first got the SGII I had a 25* spread EOT vs ECT then I changed the Oil cooler and spread came Close together 6-8* summer and 4-6* winter at the steady 65 mph or whatever. So whatever its programmed the Numbers Moved in the right Direction

I say theres to many varibles to Just say the SGII is Sh** you would have to Pull and check EACH and every SENDER with a Mechanical Gauge to verify its accuricy in a Controlled condition.

These changes James Did was to get the EOT and ECT the same after a 12hour cold soak thats as Close as I can see getting the programming if there is a Skueed result as it heats up its more than Likely a Temp Sender

Old 01-22-2012, 05:39 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Here are 2 videos of my current temps using the SGII and Torque APP.

The first one is Torque APP. Note the ECT temp on this. It reads 41.0f. Funny the trans temp is fluctuating.

VID 20120122 150547 - YouTube

This second one is SGII. Note the f*WT does not read in a decimal point. So, I am assuming the SGII is probably near 41*, just a decimal lower.

VID 20120122 150710 - YouTube

This is about as close as I can read these temps with the tools I have.

My truck has been sitting since Thursday afternoon.

Me? I am pleased with both tools at this point. Does anyone think I should go deeper to make sure these are correct?

Old 01-22-2012, 06:04 PM
rschwarzwalder
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, wrote that last post when I was nearly asleep and not well versed! I believe the Scangauge is accurate as it reads from the OBD2, however the math used in the gauge may be wrong. After all, the fWt is really only an xgauge that's programmed from the factory if my assumption is correct.

Perhaps our trucks require a different code / math than other vehicles just like some of the other parameters the SG monitors? I will post up the codes I'm using for ECT and EOT when I get in my truck later tonight, I'd love for someone to try them out and give me feedback!

Old 01-22-2012, 06:08 PM
DevilDocTater
Master of Disaster
Wouldnt the coolant be hotter coming out of the coolant return line that comes out of the intake? (random thought...lol) im starting to think my stock ECT sensor is going out, the wires appear to be moist. I just entered the updated EOT and its right on with my EOT manual gauge. Now to get a new ECT sensor to see if that works

Last edited by DevilDocTater; 01-22-2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: I suck at typing
Old 01-22-2012, 06:24 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv
Here are 2 videos of my current temps using the SGII and Torque APP.

The first one is Torque APP. Note the ECT temp on this. It reads 41.0f. Funny the trans temp is fluctuating.

This second one is SGII. Note the f*WT does not read in a decimal point. So, I am assuming the SGII is probably near 41*, just a decimal lower.

This is about as close as I can read these temps with the tools I have.

My truck has been sitting since Thursday afternoon.

Me? I am pleased with both tools at this point. Does anyone think I should go deeper to make sure these are correct?

No Im right with you Sean

if that truck has been sitting 3-4 days you know every Fluid in that truck is the same Temp it has to be NO Question there

I would even BET your Windsheild wiper fluid is 40-41* LOL

Thats as close as you could get the SGII, AE,DD,EDGE any of them
If it was a Programming Error they(ECT,EOT,TFT) would be all over the Place at Diffrent Ambeint Temps.

But I feel pretty confident SGII is programmed right I mean 3 diffrent temp senders and after that long of a cold soak You KNOW there the same Temp they have to be

To me Stand alone Gauges are OK with Fuel Pressure Being the Best one a Person can add for a 6.0 The PCM dont use this one but as long as a person comes off the FP test Port then there Good but has to come from where it was designed to come from. If they come off the Fuel Filter Cap its not right and throw that number in the garbage IMO
But to add a Stand alone Lets Say ECT Gauge its Worthless its in a dIFFRENT SPOT so you cant really use it to check an OEM temp sender the PCM dont use it anyway

but Honestly if your Breaking down or have a Drivability Issue you have to see what the PCM is seeing Cuz the PCM is using those Numbers to Calibrate and Control the Truck so you could just about throw your stand alone gauge out the window cuz it has no bearing anyway

Old 01-22-2012, 06:29 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Wouldnt the coolant be hotter coming out of the coolant return line that comes out of the intake? (random thought...lol) im starting to think my stock ECT sensor is going out, the wires appear to be moist. I just entered the updated EOT and its right on with my EOT manual gauge. Now to get a new ECT sensor to see if that works
Glad to see your EOT is better.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:32 PM
DevilDocTater
Master of Disaster
So if standalone gauges arent worth anything, why is my standalone ECT showing me 195ish give or take a couple degrees either way? and SGII is showing 180-188? Brand new ford t-stat and housing installed a month ago. And my EOTs match with the new updated SGII parameters.

Last edited by DevilDocTater; 01-22-2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Still cant type..lol
Old 01-22-2012, 06:49 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
So if standalone gauges arent worth anything, why is my standalone ECT showing me 195ish give or take a couple degrees either way? and SGII is showing 180-188? Brand new ford t-stat and housing installed a month ago. And my EOTs match with the new updated SGII parameters.
Its probably just like yopu said you need a new ECT temp sender

is it jumping fast from 180-188

When the reading is all over makes me think the sender

I mean I guess I shouldnt say stand alone is worthless but the PCM dont use its Number either

I just put in a new thermostat to and Im running 188-192 Being at 190* most of the time Motocraft as well

Your #s 180-188 ECT is what I was seeing with a Dura crap thermostat all over but this new MC is steady Lots better

Old 01-22-2012, 07:13 PM
DevilDocTater
Master of Disaster
I heard somewhere ford had a bad batch of t-stats? I might go ahead and replace it just to be sure.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:17 PM
79 Stepside
Junior User
Just curious myself . Got a sc ll for chrismas and installed the monday after . Start watching ECT & EOT. ECT temps. would only get to 179* . I had a delta of 20* -22* . Done a coolant flush with vc-9 & backflushed heater core. Installed new MC t-stat with housing. ECT only show 188* max. Now delta is 18*-20* . Possible SC ll problem?

Old 01-22-2012, 07:19 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Originally Posted by 79 Stepside
Just curious myself . Got a sc ll for chrismas and installed the monday after . Start watching ECT & EOT. ECT temps. would only get to 179* . I had a delta of 20* -22* . Done a coolant flush with vc-9 & backflushed heater core. Installed new MC t-stat with housing. ECT only show 188* max. Now delta is 18*-20* . Possible SC ll problem?
At first, all you can do is check the readings after at least a 12 hour cold soak. Then you can go from there.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:28 PM
79 Stepside
Junior User
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv
At first, all you can do is check the readings after at least a 12 hour cold soak. Then you can go from there.
I tried that they were within 1*-1 1/2* of each other. Truck sat for 2 days. Drove 40 miles on friday ECT 188* ECT 208* . ECT started out 188*, 190*, then back to 188* thats were it stayed.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:31 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

My ECT will run that way as I drive in these cooler temps. I lift my foot for a short time, and down to 188*. So, looks like you are running a large spread still. I miss read your readings if you caught my post before I edit it!

Quick Reply: SG II Accuracy?