joel79ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to beef up my 351m?

it is in my 79 f150 short bed, stick shift
right now its basically stock, it has 50 k(according to the cluster) and i also
had to rebuild my heads, i replaced the timing chain i beleive double roller
Engine has fresh tune up oil, all new wires, e3 spark plugs
How much hp do you guys think im getting right now?
Any ways id like to mess with the engine a bit more(not trying to go over bore and not hurt my gas mileage)
thanks in advance guys

Old 01-16-2012, 03:58 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
upgrade ignition!

ignition upgrades with a multistrike igniton is a good thing. this will help your lowend and help on the fuel mileage a little. multistrike ignition is something to read up on.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:08 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,297 Posts
If your timing set is at 0 degrees (vs. the 4 degrees retarded of the stock set up) you are probably up to 150 horse.

Your compression and cam are the primary limiters. Next the intake/carb and headers.

If you don't want to mess with a rebuild turning it into a 400 or with a cam change, be happy with it as is.

As per prior post, check the ignition as that's an easy upgrade.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:18 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
headers!

bolt on header. 1 5/8" tubes on headers max. they have headers that are inside the frame and some that are fenderwell exit headers. personally like the fenderwell exit. small tube/long headers really help on the torque/low end. If curious on a good read check into headers by ED site, 30yrs exp or more, dyno time. has some good info and a dvd to listen to. knowing where to read and who to talk to. once you start going to big on header tubes you lose low end torque. 1 5/8" tube is a good start or maybe a little smaller for daily driver. if turning some rpms things change??.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:26 PM
joel79ford
Senior User
What if i did only that, get an intake,4 barral carb and headers?
How much would i improve my hp?
and what about that msd ignition? I heard its good?
And for now im thinking about just headers, im kinda low on $$
im barley a high school student(love old fords)

Old 01-16-2012, 04:28 PM
joel79ford
Senior User
Oh and, how much is this multistrike ignition?

Old 01-16-2012, 06:56 PM
creativecars1
Junior User
Originally Posted by joel79ford
Oh and, how much is this multistrike ignition?
Joel,
MSD is a multistrike type ignition. Making your 351 more efficient is the best way to improve performance and MPG. People around here are pretty smart, follow their lead. Working from the top down. 600 Carb, intake, cam kit, timing set, headers, and dual exhaust. M's really need some compresion but that requires a full rebuild. I am currently wanting the best MPG out of my 351M, and am following this plan with out the cam, Im going with 1.8 roller rockers instead, the performance is going up with the MPG.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:08 PM
joel79ford
Senior User
Oh ok
Anyone have results after doing this on MPG and performance?

Old 01-16-2012, 08:08 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,297 Posts
The compression, sunken piston and weak cam all conspire to make the 351m the powermouse that it is.

All that add on stuff will add a little power, but mostly just run more gas through it. The stock cam and springs are good for what, 3500 rpm?

Tune it up, clean it up, air it up, and save your money for a meaningful mod or better vehicle down the road.

http://www.projectbronco.com/Technic...e_build_up.htm

http://grantorinosport.org/BubbaF250/index.html

http://grantorinosport.org/BubbaF250/parts/parts02.html

http://www.tmeyerinc.com/400ford.html

Old 01-16-2012, 08:52 PM
joel79ford
Senior User
Originally Posted by creativecars1
Joel,
MSD is a multistrike type ignition. Making your 351 more efficient is the best way to improve performance and MPG. People around here are pretty smart, follow their lead. Working from the top down. 600 Carb, intake, cam kit, timing set, headers, and dual exhaust. M's really need some compresion but that requires a full rebuild. I am currently wanting the best MPG out of my 351M, and am following this plan with out the cam, Im going with 1.8 roller rockers instead, the performance is going up with the MPG.
About how much more HP and MPG?

Old 01-16-2012, 08:59 PM
creativecars1
Junior User
85e150 has some great links for an all out build, I have read them all. But everyone has their own situation. I am doing mine as an experiment that I will share with the kind folks here. I started with some base numbers in the low of 13 mpg for the used and abused 351 in my 79 Ranchero. New complete tune up brought that up to 15mpg.
All the parts I have got at swap meets, ebay and CL for great deals and can be used on a stock motor or a full build, so there is no waste of money. As it is my dd and test vehicle I don’t even think the extra time involved is a real loss, as it is a real life condition.
So far I have definitely better performance and mpg!!!
Complete tune up.
EGR delete.
Straight up roller timing chain.
At the present time I have installed the used MSD 6A and Coil that I picked up for 60.00 including shipping. Idle and low speed driveability has improved. Who drives a vehicle everyday and spins it over 4000 just to get to work anyway?

Old 01-16-2012, 09:08 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
headers stuff.

one place to go to is jeffs bronco graveyard. headman header fenderwell, $220 bucks. header tuning can be a tricky thing. But I do know your application and 1 5/8 is your max tube size. header tuning is kind of a mystery to most and just but any header. some people find a big difference and some feel nothing. just recently had a guy I know who has a nice tim meyer type build and aussie heads and pistons. custom cam 400 ford nice 4wd application. But on the header he went with a short header and 1 7/8" tubes. said his btm end is needing a little more. but once he goes into the 3000 rpm range the motor wakes up and wakes up like it should. problem is in yours and my application I don't normally run in these rpm. so from my experience and smarter people like headers by ED run a smaller tube and helps the btm torque. i have ran these headers on a 400 and its a bulldozer, 4500 rpm and down. what happens when you run too small a header is your top end torque drops off in most application if sized to small. if you get a chance read up on headers by ED, good read.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:17 PM
joel79ford
Senior User
oh and i also forgot to mention that i have all that crap off
on the engine(emissions controll)
how much does it help taking all that stuff out?
or it dosent really make a diffrence?

Old 01-16-2012, 09:23 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
air fuel tuners.

another smart tool. fuel economy. fast company makes a air fuel monitor to watch your air fuel. while driving you can see real time what your actual air fuel is. maybe its a driver situation or maybe a actual tuning issue. but what this tool does is help educate you on your air fuel. if your engine is running at 9% air fuel this is too rich. need to be in a 12.5% to 13% range. If you do not have this tool you have to do the seat of the pants kinda feel and in most cases we are usually wrong. this is where a vacume gage is another simple tool that is very educational. innovate is another company which sells a hand held tool to check O2 out the exhaust, great tool personally have ran the innovate and like simple. just weld a fitting to your exhaust and be able to screw in your hand held monitor. edelbrock sells simple monitors also. some are expensive and some are less expensive and i know if you work the air fuel and tune your engine it will pay for itself within the year. great tools to get the most out of your engine.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:23 PM
joel79ford
Senior User
Originally Posted by wyoming4x4
another smart tool. fuel economy. fast company makes a air fuel monitor to watch your air fuel. while driving you can see real time what your actual air fuel is. maybe its a driver situation or maybe a actual tuning issue. but what this tool does is help educate you on your air fuel. if your engine is running at 9% air fuel this is too rich. need to be in a 12.5% to 13% range. If you do not have this tool you have to do the seat of the pants kinda feel and in most cases we are usually wrong. this is where a vacume gage is another simple tool that is very educational. innovate is another company which sells a hand held tool to check O2 out the exhaust, great tool personally have ran the innovate and like simple. just weld a fitting to your exhaust and be able to screw in your hand held monitor. edelbrock sells simple monitors also. some are expensive and some are less expensive and i know if you work the air fuel and tune your engine it will pay for itself within the year. great tools to get the most out of your engine.
i think that im just going to get an msd ignition and some headers?
maybe do a rebuild on the carburetor?
you guys think its a good idea?
will i improve my gas mileage and power?
i already have a double roller chain istalled

Quick Reply: How to beef up my 351m?