1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Finally got a COE cab...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 01:34 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally got a COE cab...

Hi Folks,
I haven't been on the board for some time now except for a few quick questions over on the 6.0L diesel forum. Recently a few FTE members stumbled across my facebook post of a video of a '54 COE cab with title that I acquired. They were both encouraging me to get on this fourm. I explained that I was a devout Darksider with credentials and that I thought Darksiders were looked down upon over here. I was just kidding of course but they replied by assuring me that it was practically all Darksiders over here now. Well, I guess we'll find out...

Anyway I'll post a few pictures and some video of the '54 COE here. I just bought it and brought it home a few days before Christmas. It's still sitting out front on the trailer mounted on a treated wood platform I built to haul it home on and later use it to work on. The trailer is a new addition too. I needed a good long open trailer with heavy duty rated axels as my big enclosed hauler is no good for this sort of thing. When I get it off the trailer I have some really nice big casters with inflated tires I will mount on the platform. That way I con move it around. I doubt too much work will get done on this thing for a while as I am still working on my '53 F-100 as well as trying to keep up with work coming to the shop. Right now I'm just in the process of collecting parts. So far I have two really nice doors coming from AZ.

I have already posted pictures on a thread here so you can just go to https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-truck-3.html
to see the pictures and video.

I have a question. Some time ago I believe I joined a group of some kind here on the FTE that was specifically oriented around Ford COE cabs. At least I'm pretty sure it was here on the FTE. Anyway, I can't find it now. Any clues???

Be forewarned, this thing is going to be totally Darksided because I intend to use it. I'm not into Armstrong power steering and lousy hydro-vac brakes. I also like my other comforts like air conditioning.

Later Folks...

Old 01-16-2012, 02:38 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for coming back by Dave!!

Hope my pushing u works out!!

Sam

Old 01-16-2012, 04:26 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Of course, some of us don't like Darksiders

Old 01-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
comment withdrawn! I said one thing and totally didn't mean it to sound the way it did!

Underneath that beard your just a good guy!

Old 01-16-2012, 07:53 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Welcome back! Congrats on buying the COE!

Old 01-16-2012, 08:20 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Dave,
I was looking through your gallery of pics - Looked like you had on
a West Virginia shirt in one of them.. We have to be nice to you Mountaneers till you officially join the Big 12 - then well it's game on over there - just saying..

I like your 4wd "gator" - nice work. Just pulling your leg - we'll be nice as long as you don't burn any of our sofas - if you guys are still doing that sort of thing.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1 (Longhorn)

Old 01-16-2012, 09:04 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi dave Welcome back. Of course there are people that are purist, there are people that are darksiders, and there are people that dont realy care one way or the other. I think the majority of FTE members are probably the latter,i dont realy know. Its your truck, a Ford truck so as for me, Im glad your here. As far as i know my truck is all Ford , and thats the way i want it, but are the reproductions on it made by Ford? no. People may tease about darksiding, but just build your truck the way you want and dont rub anything like one company is better than the other in anyones face and your a valued FTE member. I for one am looking forward to following your progress, and pleased you are giving us another chance. There are a lot of nice folk here.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:14 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Dave, it's good to see you back!

Hal (2001)

Old 01-16-2012, 10:11 PM
old ugly
Senior User
Hi again dave , it's good to see you here.
You mentioned in your video that you might try using the front part of a conventional fender to repair your c.o.e fender. From experience I can tell you they are completely different. The fenders on my c.o.e. were rusted out in the area that bolts to the air deflector. I removed those pieces from a junk F-600 fender and put them into my c.o.e. fenders but in hind sight I would have been better off using pieces of sheet metal and fabricating the pieces. I think you could use small patches but that's about it. Better to work with the original c.o.e. fenders in my opinion, for what it's worth.
It's good to see another c.o.e. in the works .

Old 02-08-2012, 01:57 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
What the heck, you can't all be perfect. I forgive you.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:05 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Hi dave Welcome back. Of course there are people that are purist, there are people that are darksiders, and there are people that dont realy care one way or the other. I think the majority of FTE members are probably the latter,i dont realy know. Its your truck, a Ford truck so as for me, Im glad your here. As far as i know my truck is all Ford , and thats the way i want it, but are the reproductions on it made by Ford? no. People may tease about darksiding, but just build your truck the way you want and dont rub anything like one company is better than the other in anyones face and your a valued FTE member. I for one am looking forward to following your progress, and pleased you are giving us another chance. There are a lot of nice folk here.
Hi Jimmy,Darkside as I am, any and all my trucks past, present and future always have been and will always be all ford in terms of all that is in and on them. Of course the parts may com from just about anything with the Ford badge on it. And I really don't care that much about other opinions because it's by and for me. When I croak my son gets them and he has a Blue Oval tattoo on his butt too. I really don't mind or have anything against other brands. I'm just a Ford guy and they are what I am used to. Simple as that...

Old 02-08-2012, 02:10 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordman75
Welcome back! Congrats on buying the COE!
Thanks Ted,I finally got tyhe beast in the shop and stripped down, now it's time to bleed more money. Already bought a set of good doors from C700 and they cost me as much as the COE did. Then there's shipping...

Old 02-08-2012, 02:16 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Dave,
I was looking through your gallery of pics - Looked like you had on
a West Virginia shirt in one of them.. We have to be nice to you Mountaneers till you officially join the Big 12 - then well it's game on over there - just saying..

I like your 4wd "gator" - nice work. Just pulling your leg - we'll be nice as long as you don't burn any of our sofas - if you guys are still doing that sort of thing.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1 (Longhorn)
Hi Ben,Actualy I'm not from West Virginia. I live in Marietta, Ohio and we are right on the river across from WV. I am also the president of my car club whihc is in WV. But I suppose you would have to classify me as a Buckeye. I actually don't care much about that stuff although my wife seems to be a real Ohio Stae fan. In answer to your qyuestion, THEY are still burning couches but the smoke blows to the East so we don't care.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:29 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
In and stripped...

Hi Folks,

I finally got the COE cab off the trailer and into my shop, Even with ten foot floor to ceiling clearance I could not back it in so I had to roll it down outside. I did it by myself and it was not an easy job because the outside is slanted to the side and the thing kept tring to go off the lower side. Looking back, I probably should have figured out a way to lock the front rotating caster wheels straight, Another lesson learned the hard way I guess. Check out coe-cab pictures by Darkside-Dave - Photobucket for latest pictures.

Anyone out there got any '53 to '56 COE parts?

Last edited by dave boley; 02-08-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: TYPOS
Old 02-08-2012, 02:38 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dave boley
Hi Folks,I finally got the COE cab off the trailer and into my shop, Even with ten foot floor to ceiling clearance I could not back it in so I had to roll it down outside. I did it by myself and it was not an easy job because the outside is slanted to the side and the thing kept tring to go off the lower side. Looking back, I probably should have figured out a way to lock the front rotating caster wheels straight, Another lesson learned the hard way I guess. Check out coe-cab pictures by Darkside-Dave - Photobucket for latest pictures.

Anyone out there got any '53 to '56 COE parts?
thats a heck of a dolly! you jack it up on each side to get the wheels back underneath??

Sam

Quick Reply: Finally got a COE cab...