1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Life after the *#€£in banjo bolt(whats ur dream obs)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 12:02 AM
disco biscuit
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Life after the *#€£in banjo bolt(whats ur dream obs)

So the banjo bolt whooped me fer awhile. During that time I purchased an 09 silverado extended cab with 40k for 15k$. I couldnt pass it up. The bank valued the loan range at 25k. My ol ladys dad is a wholesale dealer who purchases trade ins and sells em at wholesale auctions.

I looked at several 02 powerstrokes but utimately, considering the choices, I had to go with my selection for lack of maintenace /price comparison reasons.

Point being i set myself up forcing the sale of my obs.......!

Now I have a spare 7.3. I dont wanna sell it. I want to pick out my new obs for when this motor gets refurbished. I mean hell I heliarced a ratchet special for the cursed banjo bolt. The wrench really looks like crap...mostly cause the only metal I had layin around in a hurry at work was galvanized. But shoot I gotta use this wrench again.

My curent soon to be sold is a 96 F-350 4x4 long bed crew cab 70ft monster so I decided I want a shorter F-350 dually two wheel drive. I just want it to be right ifn im gonna kill myself fixin it up.

Questions...which is better 96 r 97? Is there axles I should look for? SUPERDUTY? How should I set this up? I want it for work...pulling everything. I still think Im interested in fitting one of the newer model six speed manual tranny in an OBS...why or why not? I am very dedicated to coming through with this transition an reaquirement project so I hope for your help setting this thing up. Im gonna start with the motor so I need to revive a thread about starting the motor rebuild. But wanna know what models and dream trucks you would pick.

Also would anyone care to buy the one I've been working. I would like 5 but would take 4 if you can get it to me quicker than an auction in a couple weeks

Old 01-16-2012, 06:39 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well sorry to hear you're unloading the truck. I guess it depends what you're looking to use the truck for, but my personal dream truck is exactly what you (and I) have. 4x4, PSD, CCLB. I just love this truck. I don't think there are too many differences between the 96 and 97 trucks. All OBS F-350s will have the same axles. I wouldn't bother to try and put a ZF6 in an OBS as it supposedly requires a lot of floor pan modifications. Just put a ZF5 in it if you want to jam gears and be done. Also, you may want to be careful about posting this "For Sale" ad in the forum. If anyone complains about it the Mods have to delete it. You're better off posting it in the classifieds and then posting a thread here linking to your classifieds ad. It seems like splitting hairs, but that is the way they want it done.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:29 PM
disco biscuit
Senior User
Man it really kills me to sell it. I really like the thing too. Ima try to take out the part about selling it. It wasnt the intention of the thread but for now...back to work

Old 10-04-2013, 12:31 AM
disco biscuit
Senior User
I didn't sell it. Im selling the 09 Chevy I bought cause I realized the Chevy was losing money. I got used to the enormous length of my obs. My pipefitter jobbox has fit perfect in the gigantic, oversized bed. Hell I can still fit a sheet of plywood in it, tail gate down, with all my tools in it. Hell what was I thinking. I already have a proto ratchet I cut up and heliarced to avoid removing the turbo on a fuel pump change...why give up now.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:08 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to hear it! Stick with that old truck. They're becoming fairly sought after and harder to find in good shape.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:35 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
Remove a turbo for fuel pump?heck i dont even pull the filter housing

Old 10-04-2013, 01:50 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Been in your shoes! Decided after burning through 3 OBSs its time for a Chevy. Bought a Chevy and bent a rod 2 weeks later. I decided maybe its me and not the truck lol

So is there still a question in this thread? Lol

Old 10-04-2013, 03:24 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Glad to hear it! Stick with that old truck. They're becoming fairly sought after and harder to find in good shape.
You aren't kidding. I've had one hell of a time finding a CC LB 4x4 5 speed with decent miles on it that isn't $10k+. I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up having to bite the bullet on a $10k truck.. I'm even considering getting an SD. LOL

Old 10-04-2013, 08:51 PM
disco biscuit
Senior User
I was trying to talk someone into paying 6k for mine. Of course the ac ain't working right this moment....but still I ain't unloading it. I'll sell the one losing money.

This thread was from a long time ago. Just stopping back in to say hey to all yall...

The thread intention was to get peoples opinion of which obs I should buy next...or better try to build. I think my 4x4 f350 crew cab long bed is working great for now. I think the crew cab short bed would be at least more manageable in a parking lot. I plan to buy a float type trailer with gooseneck soon and notice the extra bed adds a lot when theres a hitch back there...so for now im gonna call it good. I was more considering building a motor and related options....not sure the thread actually matters anymore. I'm gonna pursue building this truck up...