6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

cetane booster a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 11:33 PM
fordtruckf-100
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cetane booster a good idea?

Hey guys, wondering if cetane booster is a good idea or not? I run a small trucking company and the other day i was at a local parts store and saw a cetane booster. I understand that the higher the cetane the more combustable it is and the more lubricity it has. But what does typical fuel out of the pump have for a cetane rating? What is ideal?

Old 01-16-2012, 12:20 AM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
I run it in my 6.7 just in hopes to prevent a HPFP failure.

Any and all lubricity helps - even though it is not required per the Ford Owners Manual

Old 01-16-2012, 08:38 AM
mrjc
Senior User
Yep

Cetane number or CN is a measurement of the combustion quality of diesel fuel during compression ignition. It is a significant expression of the quality of a diesel fuel. A number of other measurements determine overall diesel fuel quality - these other measures of diesel fuel quality include density, lubricity, cold-flow properties, and sulfur content. Generally, diesel engines operate well with a CN from 40 to 55. Fuels with higher cetane number have shorter ignition delays, providing more time for the fuel combustion process to be completed. Hence, higher speed diesel engines operate more effectively with higher cetane number fuels. There is no performance or emission advantage when the CN is raised past approximately 55; after this point, the fuel's performance hits a plateau (from an online encyclopedia). So, that being said, I also add a lubricity additive and a cetane booster, really to address the dryness of the winter blends and the ultra low sulfer content of the fuel. Since 2007, out of all posts I have read, I tend to believe the posts here concerning hardware failures that MAY be due to fuel problems (lack of lub, water). It is pennies a day and good insurance against all the threats out there from fuel related issues and Ford wont pay the cost to repair them if your under warranty. I also drain the water separator once a month .

Last edited by mrjc; 01-16-2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Added wisdom about cetane rating
Old 01-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
Originally Posted by mrjc
I also add a lubricity additive and a cetane booster, really to address the dryness of the winter blends and the ultra low sulfer content of the fuel. Out of all (since 2007) posts i have read, I tend to believe the posts here concerning hardware failures that MAY be due to fuel problems. It is pennies a day and good insurance against all the threats out there from fuel related issues and Ford wont pay the cost to repair them if your under warranty. I also drain the water separator once a month .
What lubricity additive do you use?

Old 01-16-2012, 08:50 AM
mrjc
Senior User
Additive

A lot of folks here use Stanadyne Cetane booster. I use their Cetane Booster and Lubricty additive, both found at Walmart. Other brands are popular also, but I counted and the above is the most popular.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:53 AM
fordtruckf-100
Junior User
ok now i have been using a ford additive called anti-gel and performance improver. Its supposed to lower the gelling point and boost cetane, is this a good product? Are fuel stations knowledgable enough to know what there fuel is testing at for a cetane level?

Old 01-16-2012, 09:14 AM
mrjc
Senior User
In North America diesel is rated from 45 - 50. Europe has adopted 60. The higher the number the faster it ignites under compression. The Ford additive is popular too, although I doubt they would warranty a failure due to "fuel" even if you used thier stuff. There is much and I mean MUCH written about this if you use the search function. These trucks are still too new to get any good data on concerning additive use, although a couple of people have hit the 100K mile mark without too much fanfare.

Last edited by mrjc; 01-16-2012 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Sp - ooopppps
Old 01-16-2012, 09:43 AM
chperry
Senior User
I use Power Service in my 2011: white in the winter, silver the rest of the time. It seems to give a slight improvement in mileage and gives me some piece of mind related to the HPFP.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:02 AM
fordtruckf-100
Junior User
HPFP is high pressure fuel pump right?

Old 01-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fordtruckf-100
HPFP is high pressure fuel pump right?
You are correct.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:51 AM
fordtruckf-100
Junior User
So I just called my local fuel stop and they said that their fuel usually averages around 40 for a cetane rating. Would i show some gains by using a booster to get it closer to that 55 CN like (mrjc) says is where it plateus off?

Old 01-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
It would be a good idea. What fuel center are you using and what state?

Old 01-16-2012, 11:29 AM
magnumacF250
Freshman User
I don't have much experiance in using fords warranty, but I can't see how they can not cover a fuel system problem based on using or not using their brand of fuel supplement or anybody elses, especially if its not posted in the owners manual as a requirement. I don't know what laws cover vehicles, but I know on the off road equipment we buy, they cannot void the warranty on things for using filters and oils that are different from the recommended ( so long as they meet specs) unless they are willing the provide it all at no cost. which I haven't found a dealer yet willing to do that. any thoughts?

Old 01-16-2012, 12:09 PM
fordtruckf-100
Junior User
Its just a local gas stop, Sinclair. located in NW corner of Iowa.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:05 PM
mrjc
Senior User
Magnumac, if you search for high pressure fuel pump, you can spend an afternoon reading about some members experiance with Ford and warranty denial of fuel system (pump) parts that have failed. I dont want to hijack this thread except to say I will be religious about dumping additive in my tank and a lot of us who own 2011/12 F series do so.

Last edited by mrjc; 01-16-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: after thoughts

Quick Reply: cetane booster a good idea?