1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking moon roof on 2008 F 250

Old 01-15-2012, 09:37 PM
mhollas8908
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking moon roof on 2008 F 250

Has anyone with an 08 F 250 experienced water leaks from the moon roof? The dealer told me that it was probably the drain lines and I they said that you have to replace them and they wanted $300. Sounds ridiculous..
There bound to be another way to clear them if that is the problem. Where are they located and how do you access them? I need help. Please

Old 01-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Have you done a search on this forum for any info , thought I saw a thread on this subject a while back...

Old 01-16-2012, 04:49 AM
mhollas8908
New User
Lots of ford leaks but no F 250 Moon roof leaks

Thanks for the reply. There were several that had moon roof leaks and several suggested the drain lines but no one really had a solution. And no one could say exactly where the drain lines came out underneath the vehicle . I am sure that Ford did not make all of the moon roof drains exactly alike so unless it is a F 250 or another Ford Super Duty, it probably has a little different configuration on how the drain lines run. Still I would need to know the best way to try to clean them and no one had a real solution unless I missed it. If you have suggestions, I welcome them. Thanks again.
Mark

Old 01-16-2012, 07:00 AM
weyland426
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
subscribing. mine is leaking too...getting drips out of the map light assembly on a heavy rain. i swore i'd never have another sun/moon roof after our 97 expedition had a bad seal but all trucks with leather on the lot had these damn roofs too so i caved. never again...and no more over plumbed and under-engineered damn diesels either!

Old 01-16-2012, 08:18 AM
mhollas8908
New User
I tend to agree as I wanted the f250 with the King Ranch Package and they all had moon roofs. I am fed up with these Fords... What are you doing to address your leaks. Temporarily, I have put duct tape all around the exterior of moon roof as we are expecting rain. Let me know if you know of other solutions. Thanks
Mark

Old 01-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Rongold
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MOONROOF LEAKS

Open the sliding glass panel, and look in the front corners of the moonroof assembly--you should see a hole in each front corner. This is where the 2 front drain hoses are attached on the outside of the frame. Blow into those holes gently with compressed air--you don't want to blow the hoses off of the 2 nipples. The rear is the same, except you usually can't see that far back---you might have to pull the headliner down to access those hoses.

RON

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-16-2012, 12:48 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
under engineered? What auto company do you know who takes the time to engineer drain holes into their moon roofs? Simply blow out the crap

Old 01-16-2012, 02:55 PM
mhollas8908
New User
Sound advice but follow-up question

Ron,
You sound like you have experience with this problem and I like your response rather than the dealer that says I must replace the drain lines. However, you make it sound like a bit delicate so as to not blow the lines off of the nipples. Based on your response, I can only assume that they are rubber or plastic lines that attach to nipples. Please advise. If that is the case, then I can understand that you would have to be careful with the amount of compressed air pressure you apply to the lines. You would think that the lines are clamped onto the nipples which I assume are metal if they come out of the frame of the moon roof. I would think that a person could run a piece of heavy duty string trimmer line and possibly loosen up any debris caught in the drain line. However, if the lines are plastic then I would not want to puncture them in the process. If the line were to be blown off of the nipples, is it possible to re-attach without removing the whole headliner? Do you have any schematic or something that shows where the drain lines exit the engine or bottom of the vehicle as it might ne easier to go from both ends if the build up has hardened. Any other ideas would be appreciate since Ford is evidently not going to put out a Technical bulletin on how to effectively address this without major surgery to the vehicle. Thanks again and I look forward to hearing back from you. Mark

Originally Posted by Rongold
Open the sliding glass panel, and look in the front corners of the moonroof assembly--you should see a hole in each front corner. This is where the 2 front drain hoses are attached on the outside of the frame. Blow into those holes gently with compressed air--you don't want to blow the hoses off of the 2 nipples. The rear is the same, except you usually can't see that far back---you might have to pull the headliner down to access those hoses.

RON

Old 01-16-2012, 02:59 PM
mhollas8908
New User
Based on what I have read in this thread, that is somwhat of of delicate process as you would not want to create more problems blowing the lines off of the nipples. I am unaware of what the actual lines are made of that connect to the nipples off of the moon roof frame.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:25 PM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
You also use canned air. What you dont want to to is have a 100% complete seal when try to flush out the lines. A very quick blasts. If you have an air compressor set it to about 7-8psi. Most of the time it is clogged at the other end by mud. I can't believe Ford cant tell you where they exit. I know in a few cars I have had the drains dump out in the wheel well. Some have even had a little flap to keep the dirt out.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:23 PM
mhollas8908
New User
Location of drain lines

Eric,
Thanks. I guess if they told me where they were then they would loose my potential service business for this problem which I refuse to allow them to screw me on with their labor charge to possibly just blow out a line. I will just try to find the exit points. Do you know if there is just one exit point for all 4 drain lines or are there 4 separate exits. That way, I will know what I am looking for.
Mark

Originally Posted by function12
You also use canned air. What you dont want to to is have a 100% complete seal when try to flush out the lines. A very quick blasts. If you have an air compressor set it to about 7-8psi. Most of the time it is clogged at the other end by mud. I can't believe Ford cant tell you where they exit. I know in a few cars I have had the drains dump out in the wheel well. Some have even had a little flap to keep the dirt out.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:38 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,461 Likes on 1,285 Posts
Originally Posted by weyland426
subscribing. mine is leaking too...getting drips out of the map light assembly on a heavy rain. i swore i'd never have another sun/moon roof after our 97 expedition had a bad seal but all trucks with leather on the lot had these damn roofs too so i caved. never again...and no more over plumbed and under-engineered damn diesels either!
Tell us how you really feel.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:45 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,461 Likes on 1,285 Posts
This is from an old thread maybe it's basically the same...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...oof-leaks.html

Old 01-16-2012, 06:28 PM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mhollas8908
Eric,
Thanks. I guess if they told me where they were then they would loose my potential service business for this problem which I refuse to allow them to screw me on with their labor charge to possibly just blow out a line. I will just try to find the exit points. Do you know if there is just one exit point for all 4 drain lines or are there 4 separate exits. That way, I will know what I am looking for.
Mark
I would bet separate drian opening for each line.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Joe Bloomingdale
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The front two drain lines run down the A pillars and should be connected with a clamp, the rear drain lines should be running down the C pillars also connected with a clamp. The bottom of the front drains are inside of the kick panel, if you remove the kick panel you may be able to reach inside and get to the end of it. The rears most likely are running down into the rocker panel and may be more difficult to reach. Pine needles and believe it or not spider webs are the biggest problems for drain tubes which leads to water collecting in the tray and overflowing into the headliner. Compressed air with the rubber nipple tip may clear it but sometimes the factory has a screen on the bottom of the tube which can be a problem and the rear tubes can have a severe curve which collects junk. Try some air and test with a water bottle, if it doesn't drain right away you didn't clear the clog, you can try snaking it but be careful! Your not gonna be able to reach the rear tubes from the top so you may have to drop the headliner anyway. Eighteen years I installed sunroofs and never owned one till my wife's new Explorer...God help me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking moon roof on 2008 F 250