Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Senior User

gddyup is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.gddyup is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Knocking sound from center dashboard area?

Hey fellow Ford Super Duty fans! I just picked up my 2008 F250 Crew Cab a few days ago. It's got 56k on the clock and a 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty on it. I absolutely LOVE the truck and have no regrets from trading in my 07 Expy Limited for it. It;s a 5.4 gasser with the Lariat package. My question stems from a weird "knocking" sound coming from what sounds like the center dashboard area. I've been trying to lock down a specific scenario that makes it happen but have as of yet not really gotten to that point. It's a noticeable "knock-knock-knock" sound that *may* be a blend door or HVAC control system that is going awry but I'm not 100% positive that that is what it is. The sound seems to come from somewhere in the center portion of the dash but it seems to be unrelated to HVAC flow position or fan speed. I do notice that the "face" vents don't always flow what they should. In order to get the "face" vents to flow I have to switch to another flow option and then come back to them. Whether this is just a weird hiccup or a possible issue with a blend door, I'm not sure. I've tried turning the HVAC system on and off while hearing the noise but it's not consistent. Sometimes the noise goes away and sometimes it doesn't...

Guess I'm just looking to see if anyone else here has had a similar issue. It *could* be something under the hood that is transmitting to the interior but I'm not quite sure at this point.

If anyone has any ideas, comments, or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

"I've done a fair share of stupid things in my life, a couple of which should have put me in my grave. But here I am typing away as if I had a brain." - Craig Wilson
Old 01-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Postmaster

Bigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud of
Cant really help but just wanted to say congrats on the new ride
2000 f150 4x4 work truck 4.6 AKA Martha
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/...es35/truck.jpg
Old 01-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Elder User

Boss08v10 is a splendid one to beholdBoss08v10 is a splendid one to beholdBoss08v10 is a splendid one to beholdBoss08v10 is a splendid one to beholdBoss08v10 is a splendid one to beholdBoss08v10 is a splendid one to beholdBoss08v10 is a splendid one to behold
I have the same knock sound in my 08 SD. No idea what it is from and I can only hear it when stopped and idling. I do notice it more when it is cold out versus warm.
1994 F150 SB 4x4 4.9 5 spd kids ride
1990 Mustang 5.0 bracket racer
Old 01-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Senior User

gddyup is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.gddyup is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quick update - The sound as driving me nuts this morning while I was waiting in the parking lot to pick up my youngest son from school. If I put my hand under the dash and feel the bottom of the center HVAC case, I can feel a ticking inside the case in relation to the noise. Along with the knocking noise, I can hear what sound like a servo that is running. So, I'm almost positive it's a broken or worn door servo motor or blend door motor that's having a fit.

Time to make an appt. with the dealer. Can you say "Warranty?"
This repair alone will probably make up for 1/2 what I paid for the warranty coverage. Not bad...

"I've done a fair share of stupid things in my life, a couple of which should have put me in my grave. But here I am typing away as if I had a brain." - Craig Wilson
Old 01-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Elder User

smotrs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.smotrs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Definitely sounds like blend door(s) from your description. I've had both mine replaced under warranty. It's an expensive repair if out of warranty.

Just explain to dealer you have a continuous dull knocking sound coming from behind the dash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bush
Wait, what did you just say? You're predicting $4 a gallon gasoline?. . . That's interesting. I hadn't heard that.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Post Fiend

acf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputation
miles.degrandi
Idling in my bosses 09 f450 lariat right now, and its doing the same thing. So it turned out to be the blend door(s) being defective?
coming soon: BPD water pump, Dieselsite HPOP, running for more than a week

Old 09-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Senior User

Yep. Mine was a defective blend door actuator.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:34 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2008, 2010, coming, dash, dashboard, diesel, duty, f250, f350, ford, knocking, noise, sound, strange, super, superduty, thumping