6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

oil cooler fail= EGR fail ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 11:24 PM
rbblaylock
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil cooler fail= EGR fail ??

hey guys, been awhile since ive been on, but thats because ive had nothing to report. My 08-350 is happily at 98K miles. No hiccups since radiator other than driver side window not working.
pulling my car hauler, wrench light came on, no check engine light...no limp mode. Called my service guy, he said its probably a faulty sensor, drive as usual, drop my trailer and take it in.
As soon as dropping the trailer, check engine light came on and went in to limp mode.
Shop said it was oil cooler gone out.
NOW....under original 100k, no biggie, but is there anything i should push for to be changed..or looked at. Isnt the EGR correlated with oil cooler issues?
sorry, but im more of a gasoline hotrod guy than diesel

Old 01-15-2012, 07:35 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
EGR is not related to the oil coolers, different location and system. The codes will lead them to what is wrong.

If you are not loosing and coolant then EGR coolers would not be suspect at all.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:11 AM
BigSilly86
Like A Boss!

My truck is currently back in the shop for the 2nd time on a oil cooler failure, I had a brand new one put in a month ago (The old one got plugged up), They flushed out the oil system... Evidently They didn't flush it out good enough because it got plugged up again and they contacted the ford engineers, they are flushing it out several times and hopefully it'll fix the problem. My point is make sure they clean the hell out of your oil system. The Mech told me that its probably due to the regeneration process putting some trash into the oil system (something to that nature). I'm starting to lean heavily toward getting Tuned and deleted, Hopefully that will fix a majority of the reliability issues.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:19 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigSilly86
My truck is currently back in the shop for the 2nd time on a oil cooler failure, I had a brand new one put in a month ago (The old one got plugged up), They flushed out the oil system... Evidently They didn't flush it out good enough because it got plugged up again and they contacted the ford engineers, they are flushing it out several times and hopefully it'll fix the problem. My point is make sure they clean the hell out of your oil system. The Mech told me that its probably due to the regeneration process putting some trash into the oil system (something to that nature). I'm starting to lean heavily toward getting Tuned and deleted, Hopefully that will fix a majority of the reliability issues.

What side of your oil cooler clogged up? you have engine coolant running through to cool the oil side, this is what usually clogs up.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:43 PM
rbblaylock
Freshman User
well....update...haha
ok, so during the cab off procedure? they took the fuel lines off and spelled gasoline. Further test showed gasoline in the tank with diesel, the pump had metal shavings, shavings up to the injectors= total fuel system BUST

now....i know i dont put gasoline in. The truck was just under half a tank when i took it in, so had i put gas in, it would have had to run AT LEAST 150miles....thats if gas went in on the most recent fill up.
I have a locking cap, so no foul play.....but ANYWHO
got an estimate for 10k

the truck is now "taking up valuable" space in the shop....

for 10k in repairs...i think ive got the most valuable space!

Old 01-16-2012, 04:48 PM
tgreening
Elder User
Originally Posted by rbblaylock
well....update...haha
ok, so during the cab off procedure? they took the fuel lines off and spelled gasoline. Further test showed gasoline in the tank with diesel, the pump had metal shavings, shavings up to the injectors= total fuel system BUST

now....i know i dont put gasoline in. The truck was just under half a tank when i took it in, so had i put gas in, it would have had to run AT LEAST 150miles....thats if gas went in on the most recent fill up.
I have a locking cap, so no foul play.....but ANYWHO
got an estimate for 10k

the truck is now "taking up valuable" space in the shop....

for 10k in repairs...i think ive got the most valuable space!

"Hello, insurance company? Somebody vandalized my truck by dumping gas in the tank and toasted my fuel system. Please send check".

Old 01-16-2012, 04:52 PM
rbblaylock
Freshman User
exxxxacccccctly
just gotta do the 1-7 business day dance
too bad they wont just cut me a check for the amount i "say" it is to fix....was wanting to get a mini maxx tune haha

Old 01-16-2012, 06:03 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Insurance will cover it. Probably the fuel station mixed it on delivery.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:42 PM
BigSilly86
Like A Boss!

Originally Posted by ljutic ss
What side of your oil cooler clogged up? you have engine coolant running through to cool the oil side, this is what usually clogs up.
Dont know what side , but I just stopped by to check on it, The ford engineers are making the mechanic change the horizontal EGR, Radiator, coolant pump,all related thermostats, And install a new oil cooler(again). Also the mechanic noticed both belt tensioners are about wore out, so they are replacing them. All the above is being covered 100% by warranty. The engineers want all the old above parts sent to them so they can inspect them (guess to research what the problems are.)