Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Minor Resto mod project

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 07:04 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
Wait until the insurance totals it, then buy it back for whatever. That honestly doesn't look bad. Did it get pushed back into the engine, or is all that ok still. I have a frame guy who could pull that back for under $500 easily. And have it done right.
I say find yourself a good frame guy and get a quote. It is salvageable. Cut the rsk crossmember and let the frame guy pull it without that interfering.
Pushed the radiator into the fan, but yeah i think the motor and everything is still ok. The RSK and plow mount would have to come off to get the frame straight. The fenders don't apear to have taken any damage, so we might try and fix it. Or maybe find another truck and make the best truck I can from parts of the two trucks. For how many miles were on this truck, it really wasn't that rusty and the interior was in pretty nice shape. We have had it since new, so we know everything that has been done to the truck.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:12 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How did the wreck happen?

Old 03-15-2015, 07:18 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by eakermeld
How did the wreck happen?
Guy pulled a uturn in an ntersection in front of me and never looked to see if anyone was behind him. I swerved to miss him and tried to go into the road to the left but was going to fast to make the turn. Hit the mud off the road and went straight into a telephone pole.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:22 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's fixable. Don't part it out.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:24 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Man that sucks. Now you have to pay for someone else's inability to drive with the life of your truck. I hope it can be fixed.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:37 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
We are going to fix the truck. What they valued the truck at vs what it cost to buy it back was too good not to buy it back. I could easily make a bunch of extra money if i wanted to part the truck out. We have some parts from another obs that we are going to use, the only thing i need to find is a core support.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:11 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Ok so the part search has begun. I picked up a good hood, radiator, ac condensor, trans cooler, the part that goes under the grill, the plastic part behind the grill that the headlights mount to, and a core support that has barely any rust on it all for $350. I dont think the guy i bought the parts from knows how much a core support is worth in good condition. Next im gonna order a new RSk crossmember to replace my mangled one. When i get back from my summer internship, i will start the tear down and take the truck to the frame shop to get the frame horns back into place.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:27 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
While I have it apart i will also be fixing the bed rust finally and painting the back of the frame. I am probably going to just replace the whole bed sides rather than patch the wheel wells because some other spots are starting to buble as well. From what I have read, is NPD the place to go for that rather than LMC?

Old 07-17-2015, 09:44 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Glad to see your saving the truck. Keep us updated on the progress.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:41 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I was VERY pleased with my bed skins from NPD

(edited my original quote)

Old 07-18-2015, 07:12 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I was VERY pleased with my bed skins from LMC
Really? I always thought you hated LMC.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:00 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Gicknordon
Really? I always thought you hated LMC.
WOW, I am an IDIOT. I meant to say National Parts Depot. And yes, LMC sells JUNK

Old 08-20-2015, 03:47 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic

Started tear down today. Gonna get everything off the front end and probably loop the radiator hoses and oil cooler hoses so that i can start the truck. That way we can pull it on the trailer when we take it to the frame shop.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:38 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
WOW! The deeper you dig, the worse it looks! I sure hope the frame guys can fix it.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:55 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
I got the front end pretty much taken apart last week. I put the new rad support in and hooked the new radiator and everything up to try and get it fired up. The water pump impeller ended up being pushed back into the timing cover and wouldn't let it spin. Luckily it didnt crack the timing cover or anything. Put a new water pump on and got it fired up and pulled into my dads shop. I also went to the frame shop we plan on using and talked to them to see what their opinion was. They looked at the pictures and had and seemed to be pretty optamistoc that they can get the frame straight again. Now im just waiting on the RSk cross member from sky so i can send that along with the truck to the frame shop. Now that the truck runs, my dad can tow the truck with his dump truck rather than getting a roll back.

Quick Reply: Minor Resto mod project