1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

96 f250 powerstroke problem!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 10:40 PM
offroadcrazy304
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 f250 powerstroke problem!!!!

i basicly just baught a 96 f250 powerstroke and recently it has been acting up. when i first had it every time i turned right the water in fuel light would come on and so i put some 911 injecter cleaner in it. after that the light stoped coming on. but then when i would start it i would get up between 1500rpm and 2000rpm it would seem to drag the motor down and if i steped on it, it would come out of it but still do it again after i let off the throttle and drive normal. then one time my fuel filter light came on and would not want to get off of idle. i then replaced my fuel bowl and my fuel regulator and fuel filter. but still the next morning it would do the same 2000rpm and then drag the motor down.

if you guys have some answers that would help me alot!

Old 01-13-2012, 11:56 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds like you have some form of fuel contamination ...I would drain the filterbowl and check it for water by collecting what comes out in a glass jar and looking at the fuel. It should be a yellow golden color and clear. If it is foamy or cloudy you need to drain the tank. I would add some Seafoam to the fuel you have in there and some lubricicity additve just in case so you do not damage the injectors..Also avoid anything with Alcohol because this will also damage the injectors and believe me they are not cheap....

Old 01-14-2012, 10:08 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First of all welcome aboard the best PSD forum around. I wish you would have posted before you bought the new fuel bowl, as it was likely just water in the bowl that needed to be drained out. On the passenger side of the fuel bowl there is a drain lever for the fuel bowl (it has a yellow handle on it). If you rotate that it will allow you to drain the fuel bowl. Often you need to open the fuel filter lid to let it drain, but that or the water in fuel (WIF) sensor or PCB was likely your issue. At any rate it sounds like you have that part of your issue resolved.

The other condition you're experiencing, is it accompanied by a strange hissing or air sound? It sounds to me like you're having trouble with the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve (EBPV). It is a flapper in the outlet of the turbo that is designed to close to aid in cold warmup, but they're known to malfunction for a variety of reasons and close when they're not supposed to. They bog the motor down and you hear a strange whistling or hissing (more of a rushing air) sound. There is a 2 wire connector on the bottom of the inlet side of the turbo that you can unplug and it should cure your issue if that's the problem. Unplugging the EBPV won't hurt anything and unless you have a California model truck, won't set a check engine light. Many of us, myself included have removed the EBPV all together to free up the exhaust.

Oh, one more thing, I do also recommend you run a fuel additive in the diesel to help lubricate and clean the injectors. I personally recommend Power Service. They have two different types, one in a gray bottle (which I use in the summer) and one in a white bottle that has anti gel agents in it for cold weather use. Dump some in at your next fill up and I will bet you notice an INSTANT change in how the truck sounds. It's good stuff.

Once again, welcome! Stick around here and we will save you a ton of money on maintaining your truck (although you may find you spend all the money you saved on modifications, lol).

Old 01-14-2012, 12:37 PM
offroadcrazy304
New User
Well I don't notice the hissing when it happens but it only happens in cold weather, I do put additive in it (911 injector cleaner),

Old 01-14-2012, 12:46 PM
offroadcrazy304
New User
Also when the fuel filter light comes one and won't want to go above idleing rpm it will smoke white smoke