6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

rebuilt 5r110 locking up engine

Old 01-13-2012, 04:16 PM
tay320c
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rebuilt 5r110 locking up engine

Replacing 5r110 transmission with rebuilt. Torque converter was not secured to transmission and fell out in crate during 500 mile delivery. Trying to seat converter before installthe transmission it would only go in part of the way. Rebuilder drove 500 miles and replaced front pump said sorry about the mix up on the gear. I installed the transmission, flushed lines and cooler, replaced the inline filter, added 12 quarts of fluid as they required for startup, connected battery cables and started engine. Truck ran for 10 to 15 minute I raised the rear end and tried to run it through gears. Nothing happened. I check fliud still OK. I shut it down and it still showed no change in fluid level. Started it back up not a tire spinning, I gave it about 1600 rpm the trans start making a very high pitch building pressure as the tow/haul was flashing then started chocking the engine down finally killing it. Called the rebuilder no call until the next day. They said I needed to get it hotter and run it longer before putting it into gear. The truck start right up and in 2 minute choked the engine down. I restarted and engine just got tighter. Thought the batteries were dead at first but had them check and the engine will verly turn. I believe the fluid drain down over night and then built back up choking the engine. I put a scan tool on it and NO codes for trans or truck. What could be the problem. The first day temp was 55 in shop today 35. Any Ideas

Old 01-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Jimbob8
Junior User
I can't say this applies, but some flex plates have only 1 hole for the drain plug on the torque converter, if it's not right that will bind up engine. If that is right then you need to talk to rebuilder. Good luck.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:27 PM
tay320c
New User
It run to well for 15 minutes before it started building pressure. I believe it is something with the pump causing full lockup of converter. Thanks for the reply and your time.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Man this Tranney has been a Can Of Worms

God only knows whats wrong with it if they already got the front pump wrong

Who was the rebuilder???

And I agree its got to be the tourque converter I mean thats the part that allows the engine to idel when trucks at a stop

IDK about the flex plate having a drain hole for the TC
Granted the last TC I changed wasnt on a 6.0 but the TC itself didnt even have a Drain plug

Did you prefill the TC at all B4 you installed it?? I know it sucks to prefill and could take a day to get a quart in it but I always try and prefill them I figure anything is better than dry

will it run if you leave it in park or what????
when does it Bog the engine??
I agree sound like the TC maybe locking up

Old 01-13-2012, 09:40 PM
tay320c
New User
Yes I filled the torque with 3 quarts. Your right it does not have a drain that was with the 4r100. Thanks for the commment.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:06 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
So does it Bog the moter in park or just in Drive ??

Old 01-13-2012, 10:27 PM
tay320c
New User
It's locked tight, will verly turn over the engine. I thought it was the batteries but their fully charged with solid cranking amps. If he tore the gasket just below the pump would that cause this? They said it was tested but define tested and this pump was not part of the test. I know there are relief valve as well as control valves with springs in the pump. Could these be install wrong? If it has caused the TC to lock up this bad how do you release it or do you pull the tranny.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:31 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
So he tore the pump gasket and didnt have another?? I guess if it starts leaking you will know why

I woould double check the wire harness and verify no pins are bent corroded and fulley plugged in

And I wonder if the internal wire harness got plugged in right or got pinched or something. Might have to pull the pan off.

I think its a F**kup on the rebuilers end of things

IMO you should have been able to install it fill with tranny fluid and let it idel fill everything up with fluid and GO

that sucks hope you dont have to pull it back out

Old 01-13-2012, 11:34 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tay320c
If it has caused the TC to lock up this bad how do you release it or do you pull the tranny.
The TC is ment to lock at higher speeds for improved MPG

and is electronicaly controlled

But the TC shouldne be locked up in park or lower speeds

Kinda why I wonder about the wire harness

Old 01-14-2012, 03:31 AM
tay320c
New User
It could be the wiring to the TCC soleniod or the soleniod itself. I checked the connections twice but moving the harness during replacement it could have broke. Thanks for your time.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:55 AM
critterf1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I may be wrong but it sounds like an internal problem to me. Any strange noises, pump grind or the like?

Old 01-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
WOW! Where to start with this one...I guess at the first mistake.

added 12 quarts of fluid as they required for startup, connected battery cables and started engine. Truck ran for 10 to 15 minute I raised the rear end and tried to run it through gears.
You ran it for 10-15 minutes with only 12 quarts in it? There's your failure. That isn't enough fluid for the pump to always have fluid to pick up. You were running the pump dry for a long time.

The correct way to do this is put in 12 quarts and run it for ONE minute. This fills the torque converter. There is no need to add any fluid to the torque converter before installing it.

Nothing happened. I check fliud still OK.
It can't be OK with 12 (maybe 15 if there really was 3 quarts in the converter) in it. It should be WAY low. Maybe it's reading fluid from the side of the dipstick tube.

I shut it down and it still showed no change in fluid level.
That indicates that the pump is not picking up fluid.

Started it back up not a tire spinning, I gave it about 1600 rpm the trans start making a very high pitch building pressure as the tow/haul was flashing then started chocking the engine down finally killing it.
That's when the pump seized.

Called the rebuilder no call until the next day. They said I needed to get it hotter and run it longer before putting it into gear.
Bull.

I put a scan tool on it and NO codes for trans or truck.
There were codes set when the tow/haul light flashed. Your scan tool probably can't read Ford transmission codes.

The next step is probably removing the transmission and rebuilding it. I think this one is toast.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:18 AM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mark is very good with helping us out with transmissions, I would listen to anything he has to say....

I would like to comment but its not intended to be a rude comment, wouldn't it have been easier to just go to ford and get a reman, and install it yourself?

Old 01-14-2012, 08:37 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006powerstroke90
I would like to comment but its not intended to be a rude comment, wouldn't it have been easier to just go to ford and get a reman, and install it yourself?
Absolutely.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:01 AM
tay320c
New User
They gave a lifetime warranty over Ford.
Sometimes the truth hurts and I did install it myself following their install sheet instructions. Still do not know why it stopped the motor then over night with the fluid still they same and start right up the next day but locked up the motor again. It seem the torque is dead heading or no exit relief back throught the pump. Will it drain down out of the TC overnight because this is a wet sump unlocking the TC? Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rebuilt 5r110 locking up engine