Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Senior User

Journeymaaann is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Smile ZF 6 Speed stuck in 1st.

While driving home my transmission would not shift out of 1st gear. The clutch seems to operate normally when I come to a stop. Brake master & Clutch reservoirs are full. With motor off shifter seems to go into low or reverse but when started with shifter in that position the truck will stall if I let the clutch pedal all the way up. The shifter when left alone goes to the center of the pattern which should be neutral but when the clutch engages, it is in 1st. There doesn't appear to be any fluid leaks & the truck has 115K.
What do you think?

I like to take any opportunity to thank you guys who have given so much to me and so many others. I love reading the things you write & have really enjoyed learning about my truck.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Posting Guru

Smokiesman has a very good reputation on FTE.Smokiesman has a very good reputation on FTE.Smokiesman has a very good reputation on FTE.Smokiesman has a very good reputation on FTE.
I am no expert but I would say something has let loose ! There are a lot of parts that could fail and gum up the works!! Think yer gonna have to take it to the shop!!

Smokie

BigRed 2
Face lifted
2001 F350 Dually PSD 4x4
Banks Equipped
DP Tuned
Old 01-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Post Fiend

4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of
never herd of this but did you remove the boot inside the cab on the shifter and give a look see. Im pretty sure you can remove where the shifter goes into the tranny from inside the truck and have a look see also
Old 01-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Senior User

meier63 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have a zf6 and while it is true that you can in fact remove the shifter boot from inside the cab, I dont think it's gonna give you any help in determining what your problem is.
There is a shifter lever cover on top of the tranny which you'll see with the boot removed, but I cant tell you what you'll see if you remove as I had no reason to remove it while replacing my clutch. Maybe someone else can chime in and let us know if there is any serviceable parts there.
Please keep us informed on your discoveries as I for one have 201,000 miles on mine and like to keep up on possible problems! Bill
Bill... 1999 f-350 4x4 crew cab 8 ft bed, 7.3, 6 speed ,2'' leveling kit, 315/75/16's, Superchip 1705,Cat and muffler delete, foil delete, door seal mod, zoodad mod , max air assist valve, T500 hpop Member of the 200,000 mile club
Old 01-13-2012, 02:40 PM
is a BAAAD MAN

Jmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputation
Have you checked the tranny fluid level? When is the last time you changed fluid? I would at least check the fluid level. My 6sp. started getting a little stiff in first gear once and I change fluid and it helped.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Postmaster

Fat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to allFat Diesel is a name known to all
Sounds like a sheared roll pin in the shifter assy.
Early 99 F250 PSD 4x4 CC 6spd Common Mods 300,000+ Miles, No longer driven daily
1964 Falcon Convert 289 Toploader 9" 4 Wheel Disks
Nov '10 Recipient: "dedicated report-back tech thread poster" award!
Old 01-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Senior User

levimorris85 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Forgive me if I am way out in left field on this but it sounds like when you put it in low or reverse the truck is actually in 2 gears. Try going into first since that is the gear it is hung in and then straight down into N and see if that works. Our old dodge use to be bad about not coming out of 5th but the shifter would be in N and that is how we fixed it. If you jumped the sift opening all together the only way to fix it is pull the stick and use a short bar and pull it out of 1st back into N, put the stick back in and away you go. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:47 PM
still plays with trucks

bfife is a splendid one to beholdbfife is a splendid one to beholdbfife is a splendid one to beholdbfife is a splendid one to beholdbfife is a splendid one to beholdbfife is a splendid one to beholdbfife is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Diesel View Post
Sounds like a sheared roll pin in the shifter assy.
sounds about right to me

that would make it do what levi said. stuck in two gears at once

Barney
Old 01-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Senior User

Journeymaaann is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks for your replies, I have read the thread about the roll pin in the shifter assembly. I got the boot off but didn't get the top of the transmission off yet. I'll take a look at that tomorrow & let you know. Thanks again.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:49 PM