1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

New Guy, Learn Me 7th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 11:59 PM
Dave804
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Guy, Learn Me 7th Gen

Evening all,
Been feeling the need for a solid house truck for a good spell now. Hauling lumber, drywall, dirt, etc is getting old with the benz wagon. Capacity isn't bad, moved a ton of paver bed today, but I'd rather use a leaf blower than a vacuum afterwards haha.

I've been holding out for something old, cheap, but steady. I'm still in college, and own 4 other cars, so it'd only be driven 2 or 3 days a week at most. Looking at a couple k miles a year. The average suburban truck use; furniture, yard work/leaves, and some mud.

Came across this truck today. Local auto breaking yard that takes tax write-off donations, and usually has about 10 at a time that are worth selling outright.

Getting my knuckles bloody doesn't bother me. And, I've got some 2in pipe left over from putting a new exhaust on the wagon this week. I've priced out the belts at O'reily. Looks like $20 or so. The missing vacuum pump scares me. Sounds like someone tossed it while trying to fix a larger issue? I'm not sure what could go wrong with it, or what it does for that matter haha.

The price is listed at $1k. I figure I can walk with it for $800. Any thoughts, help, or concern? The floor pan mention makes me think there's a leak that pools on the floor and rusted through? Also, the column shifter means this could still be a manual right? I'm having a hard time spotting a clutch from their *wonderful* picture.

Appreciate any insight
-Dave

Old 01-13-2012, 02:21 AM
Ranger80
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks to be either an F250 or 350 to me, since it has those 8-lug wheels. The pump they were referring to was the smog pump, which isn't needed unless you need it to pass inspection. There is a right way and a wrong way to do away with it, but I know little about that aspect so I'll let somebody with more knowledge chime in. From the pics it looks like an automatic, the 3-on-the-tree doesn't seem to be too common in these trucks. As for the floor pan, you'd just have to check it out. It may not be bad at all, but even if so, the rest of the truck looks nice enough to me that I'd spend the money to fix it.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:30 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A few things I noticed. The truck is definatly an Automatic from what I can see. But heres the thing. If you look the right tail light looks like it needs reassembled back onto the bed of the pickup. I see a melted harness it appears near the distibutor on thoses wires. I circled in red where I can see it I may be mistaked but it looks like it to me. It also looks like to me that the truck has more than 106K miles on it. Judging by the surface rust around the engine I say this I could be wrong again but I really think so because my dad's 86 has 131,000 miles on it and it doesn't look like this but could be your area. It looks also as if the power steering pump has been replaced which is typical in theses years Fords same with the altenator. It looks as if the truck has been taken care of other then that though. I would see whats the lowest they will take if not under $800 try the $800.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:15 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,674 Likes on 1,353 Posts
I would pull that bed liner out and see what it looks like underneath. That description is wrong like the other posters said, it has 8 lug wheels, so it's a f250 or 350. If it has f150 emblems on the fenders, then they have been replaced at some time.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, I don't see the clutch pedal in the pic either. I'd say auto. The truck has been painted over at some point. You can see the over-spray in the door post and on the PS running board. This truck might in fact be a frankenstein due to previous damage, hence the F-150 badges, and the 8-lug wheels.

Still, does it run? If so, $800 is a really good price, from where I sit. I'd buy it myself.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:32 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
1980 is a one-year wondertruck, it has some aspects (mostly electrical) that are unique to that year only.

In addition to what the others have noted:

The outside door mirrors aren't original factory and have been replaced.

The engine looks to be a 351M which doesn't mean anything significant by itself but I wonder why they removed the smog pump.

I can't see the vacuum lines real well but I'm wondering... the one that goes to the distributor, I'm wondering where the other end is connected and what that black assembly with what looks like vacuum lines on it (on the radiator hose neck) is... is that the factory connector to the VCV (Vacuum Control Device), or what?

Yellow arrow is the automatic transmission linkage.

Red arrow is what looks like a vapor canister purge valve, the GVWR rating is going to determine if this is present or not from the factory (my 1981 F350 has no such device, nor a vapor canister; I don't remember if the F250s did or not, look at the sticker on the radiator support).

On the whole, the engine looks relatively complete.

You have slider door locks, make sure they work.

The steering wheel is aftermarket, make sure the turn signals (and automatic cancellation), emergency flashers & horn work.

Looks like the wiper motor has been replaced, make sure the wipers work correctly.

The truck doesn't have air conditioning yet it has a vacuum tee/distribution block screwed to the firewall, how odd. Maybe a one-year-wonder thing and doesn't mean anything significant by itself as it looks factory in the pics.

The rust & corrosion on the engine makes me think the odometer has rolled over at least once.

If it's an F150 (which would have a canister purge valve) then the rear axle (with the 8-lug wheels) is out of place, look behind one of the front hub caps to see if the same 8-lug wheels are used there, too.

A picture of the Certification Label (I think 1980 had these... Ralph?) on the driver's door jamb would be helpful in determining how it came from the factory.

Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2012, 10:40 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the decal on the PS Pump make it look replaced also?

Old 01-13-2012, 10:46 AM
ctubutis
If the decal has a bar code, yes.

An original sticker would be a "Do Not Pry Here"-type of thing:

Old 01-13-2012, 10:49 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
If my eyes do not decieve me, it says A1Cardone...Which is a replacement pump...

And btw...That looks like a SWEET mid-70's Lincoln? in the background....It's white....

Old 01-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Leaf
Junior User
Name:  qUfqX.png
Views: 212
Size:  80.7 KB

That sure doesn't look like a "150" to me... More like a "250".

Old 01-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Definately a F250. 8 lug wheels and big "dog dish" caps. Rear axle is semi-floater, so it's a light duty F250.
Engine does look to be a 351M/400, and trans looks to be an auto from the interior and underhood pics.
80 also had the cert label, they date back into the 70's at least.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:38 PM
ctubutis
I thought 70s and prior had a Warranty Plate?

Old 01-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis
I thought 70s and prior had a Warranty Plate?
They have that on the door, but the cert label is also on the door jamb.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Dave804
Postmaster

Nothing like a group of knowledgable guys to make my day. Very thankful guys.

Yep, there's certainly some new parts under the hood. Yet the water pump has...patina?.. so I'm thinking original or an older replacement. And yes, it does appear to be an F250. It's listed as that in their inventory, and when I blow up the fender pic that's what I see.

As for the smog pump, it's not uncommon to see issues with exhaust equipment around here. Road salt isn't much of a problem, but humidity and temperature swings are murder on cars around here. So you don't see as much frame rot, but things like mufflers develop holes commonly. And, it's also possible to drive for a couple hours around here without leaving residential roads. So engine speed stays low and cats get cooked. My benz just recently got hollowed out cats . There's also no emissions inspection, so my only concern with the pump is that it was removed correctly.

Looking at the truck I'm betting it was purchased new by a retired gent. He's passed and it's just recently changed hands. Also a common set of circumstances around here. That would explain the age, low miles, and rust combo. Bought cars just like this that sat under a carport and had similar rot. That also makes sense with the new parts tossed in there and the respray.

I'm alright with buying someones project, it means I save money, as long as they ran out of time or $. The respray with rust showing makes me nervous. Either it was a cheap job and the rust was never treated to begin with, or cancer is pretty bad on this truck. Certainly need to take a magnet when I go see it. Little things like the tail light and fixing wiring don't bother me, it's a good chance to get to know the truck.

If all goes well with the roof I'm replacing I'll get out to see the truck tomorrow. I'll bring back recon pictures of any data cards I see.

-Dave

Old 01-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 82 without A/C has that same vacuum block...

I like it.

Quick Reply: New Guy, Learn Me 7th Gen