Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Alternative Fuels, Hybrids & Mileage
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Posting Guru

monckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to behold
460 LP conversion make/model/part numbers?

I've decided to convert my yard wrecker (450, C-6) to straight LP since it doesn't see much use and I'm tired of cleaning carbs. Vapor withdrawal for my cutting torch outfit would be a plus.

I'm not really interested in a kit since I can handle assembly and overhauling used parts easily. I'm a "vehicle LP noob" but familiar with handling compressed gas safely.

What parts does the FTE hive mind recommend I hunt down for vaporizer, mixer adapter, etc?

If you have a dual fuel setup you like I'd also like to try one on my other wrecker which currently has an Edelbrock 4BBL.

I'm in South Carolina so very cold winters aren't an issue.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:02 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
This is the diesel section. The gas/propane/alt fuel engines have their own forum. Would you like me to move this thread over there?

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 01-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Posting Guru

monckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to behold
Yes, please, I posted here by accident since I had multiple tabs open!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:42 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Done............

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 01-13-2012, 12:55 AM
Posting Guru

351M is starting off with a positive reputation.
Impco Model E Regulator, Impco 425 Mixer and a Vacuum Lockoff Valve VFF30 I believe is the model # you want. As for tanks, you would be best to talk to a local installer for the right one and the hoses.

Another forum to look at is the Fuels Forum at Raso Enterprises, alot more active and alot of good people there.

Another thought, if you run a gas powered welder/genset it can also be converted to run off the tank.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Posting Guru

Great! Thanks much.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Elder User

gasman6674 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
315M was dead on my only change would be to use a 12v fuelock instead of the vff30.
the CA425 can be set up to run dual fuel but the engine will run richer on gasoline due to the restriction of the 425.
If you can find an old school bus tank and you have room it will get you around 80 gal lp

Check with your local lp guys, they may have a tank in the weeds that will work

Good luck
2012 Escape Ltd FWD,2004 Escape Ltd FWD,2012 Ridgeline by Yellowstone Fifth Wheel, (1996 F350 7.3L CCLB DRWFor Sale(2005 Explorer Sport Trac 2WD SOLD)
Old 01-13-2012, 11:28 PM
Posting Guru

The Raso forum is excellent. I'm saving many posts to .pdf for reference.

Very good reading. There is so little, relatively speaking, to the conversion I should have experimented earlier.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Posting Guru

351M is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry for the late response, I alwasy forget where i posted on this site LOL

Gasman, I actually swapped to an electric lockoff on my '86 because, I got tired of having to pull the vacuum line and suck on it till the lockoff opened when it was -30 or -40 degrees so the truck would start.

It was due to starter problems but after swapping the engine, trans etc. and fixing the starter the electric one seemed like a good swap. Main reason for saying to go with the VFF was it seems more common on single fuel conversions around here while the electric one is common on dual fuel.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Elder User

gasman6674 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yea I have run in to alot of bigger engines that are slow crank/low vac and the Vff would not open. The one good thing about it is if the engine dies it shuts off the fuel.

-30 and -40 is going to find me at home
2012 Escape Ltd FWD,2004 Escape Ltd FWD,2012 Ridgeline by Yellowstone Fifth Wheel, (1996 F350 7.3L CCLB DRWFor Sale(2005 Explorer Sport Trac 2WD SOLD)
Old 01-20-2012, 02:36 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Alternative Fuels, Hybrids & Mileage

Tags
460, 67, carolina, conversion, diesel, ford, guru, kit, liquid, lp, minnesota, navigator, propane, south, truck