Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2013, 10:33 PM
New User

BigRick202 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The resistor thing works great on my 6.4 only I bought 1k 1/2 watt by mistake but still worked beautifully !!!! Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge!!!
Old 10-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Senior User

GSchretter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Schretter.Works GSchretter Olaf Ludwig
Hold on there..

The butterfly flap is only used to decrease the amount of air coming in from the air intake so with the EGR enable/opening the engine can pull more air from the EGR system.

You EGR CMD will show percent and basically the more your EGR opens the more the butterfly closes.

That is the only reason for the butterfly.

My EGR is disabled and capped but I can't remove the equipment because I will get engine lights and so forth no matter what plus I don't want to remove the emissions equipment due to changes coming to diesel emissions in Texas. Oh it's coming..
I guess I love them Fords.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:00 PM
New User

mikemass is starting off with a positive reputation.
Brown Dog's method worked great for me. Only difference, I didn't cut the plug. Just jammed the ends of the resistor into the plug's leads... No more code.

Click the image to open in full size.
Gear Box Z DPF-R + with Economy Tune
68k miles
Old 10-10-2013, 07:43 PM
New User

BigRick202 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yep that's what I did as well and just taped it all up.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Senior User

BROWN DOG KTM is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSchretter View Post
Hold on there..

The butterfly flap ...
We removed the whole assembly & replaced with Aftermarket intake elbow
Front shackle reversal kit 16.5X12 WELD TYPHOONS 35" BFG tires http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/sh...postcount=8380 1998 & 2005 RANGER 4X4 4.0L xtra cab chicken farm trucsk. I love KTM dual sport bikes
Old 02-23-2014, 06:51 PM
New User

Johnny5F350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWN DOG KTM View Post
I used two 1K 1 Watt Resistors from Radio Shack to Satisfy the PCM that
the Throttle Motor was plugged up & working

I put one resistor between #1 black wire & #3 blue wires.

I put other resistor between the #2 green/white wire & #4 green wires.
I am new here but I have ordered the Gearbox Z with an AFE DPF delete back exhaust. I also ordered the Sinister EGR delete with the valve delete pipe which would delete the throttle body piece you ref in your post. I see you have found a work around for this since the Gearbox Z does not take care of it in its programming.

My question is....since you installed this with the resistors have you had any issues at all?
Old 02-23-2014, 09:55 PM
Senior User

BROWN DOG KTM is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5F350 View Post
My question is....since you installed this with the resistors have you had any issues at all?
None at all
It's worked flawless.
I hadn't seen near the MPG increase as Most people claims
1-1.5mpg gain tops as long as you stay under 2,000rpms at ALL times.

But I'd do it again just to keep that SOOT out of my engine.
Front shackle reversal kit 16.5X12 WELD TYPHOONS 35" BFG tires http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/sh...postcount=8380 1998 & 2005 RANGER 4X4 4.0L xtra cab chicken farm trucsk. I love KTM dual sport bikes
Old 02-24-2014, 12:39 AM
Senior User

mich800 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWN DOG KTM View Post
None at all
It's worked flawless.
I hadn't seen near the MPG increase as Most people claims
1-1.5mpg gain tops as long as you stay under 2,000rpms at ALL times.

But I'd do it again just to keep that SOOT out of my engine.
I am still on the fence between the gearbox or spartan. With the gearbox, did you just tape up the egr and cooler sensor plugs? The throttle body is the only plug that requires the capacitors correct?
Old 02-24-2014, 06:18 AM
New User

Yes. With the Gearbox Just keep all sensors plugged in and zip tie them out if the way. Works great. 5k miles since my delete and no issues at all. The resistors keep the code away if you chose to delete the throttle body as well. And absolute must for the 6.4 if you want to prolong its life. In my opinion.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:28 AM
Senior User

mich800 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemass View Post
Yes. With the Gearbox Just keep all sensors plugged in and zip tie them out if the way. Works great. 5k miles since my delete and no issues at all. The resistors keep the code away if you chose to delete the throttle body as well. And absolute must for the 6.4 if you want to prolong its life. In my opinion.
That is what I was referring to. There are three plugs when you delete the egr. The egr, throttlebody, and cooler temp. I am assuming you just tape up the egr and temp but need to jump out the throttlebody.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:40 AM
New User

Mich800 -- We are talking about 2 different things. When I said keep the sensors plugged in and zip tie them up, I was talking about the sensors on the exhaust system for the DPF delete... (another job altogether) Apologies, but now I realize you are talking about the sensors under the hood for the EGR delete. When I get a chance I will post some more pictures of all of those sensors and where they are now. (maybe a video and talk you through it). I might not get to it for a few days, so stay in touch with me, either through this thread or via PM.

I would like to note that there is tremendous information on these message boards regarding this job. Not just this this board, but the other Ford Diesel Forums as well. If it wasn't for the knowledge I gained on these boards, I would not have been able to do this job. Before I even turned the first wrench, I looked up every post on this topic and knew exactly what I was getting into. BrownDog was a huge help. check out some of our conversations.

And I will be back with those visuals when I get a chance.
68k miles
Old 02-24-2014, 09:07 AM
New User

BrownDog, Excellent....but too bad about the MPG! I have a neighbor that says he is getting 18-20 with his 6.4L.....although i have not had a chance to find out what mods he has done. Right now with my truck stock and running 37X13.5/20 tires i am getting 10-11 MPG. I was expecting 3-5 MPG gain. I did consider the possibility of doing the Spartan tuner instead....just did not want to spend the money and don't really care about all the features on the Spartan. I am considering doing the BD Diesel Boost Scoop and filter mod to my air box as well....just a little undecided.
With the Gearbox Z has there been any other benefits to having it other than no more soot and build up in the engine?
Old 02-24-2014, 09:21 AM
New User

Gearbox Z = cheapest way to go to do both DPF and EGR deletes. Without the bells and whistles. I, like you, didn't want all the features. Just wanted to get rid of the "engine damaging" emissions crap.
68k miles
Old 02-24-2014, 09:34 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemass View Post
Gearbox Z = cheapest way to go to do both DPF and EGR deletes. Without the bells and whistles. I, like you, didn't want all the features. Just wanted to get rid of the "engine damaging" emissions crap.
Mike, How is your MPG with the Gearbox Z? BTW....I am doing a down pipe back AFE DPF/CAT delete exhaust. Can't wait to get this stuff and get it installed! Should be here this week.....
Old 02-24-2014, 11:17 AM
New User

It is tough to say. I never hand calculated before I did the deletes and added the Gearbox-Z. But I did always look at what my dash was saying. I would reset after every fill up and see what the meter would say. Pre delete I would average anywhere from 15-17mpg (17 was pure highway). Now I avg 17-20 (will get as high as 23 if I reset on highway and just maintain a nice 60-65 mph).

Now keep in mind this is the computer calculations, which I think is at least 4-5 miles off. But for comparison purposes I am definitely getting better that I use to. The few times I did a hand calculation (which was only after I preformed all the deletes), I was coming up with 17mpg. So I bet I was getting 14 before the deletes.

I stopped bothering to calculate because honestly, it doesn't matter. It is what it is. Not to mention for the past 2 months the truck has been doing nothing but snow plowing driveways. So in that regard it's really irrelevant.
68k miles
Old 02-24-2014, 11:17 AM