Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What Fuel Additive Do You Like

Old 01-15-2012, 10:38 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 241 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
What am I trying to do? I guess it would be 3 things, getting rid of waste oil, lubricating injectors, and saving at least $4 a fillup ($8 with the dual tank trucks we have).

How much more filtering would it need besides being ran threw an oil filter its entire life and being ran threw a fuel filter before going threw the injectors? Magnetic and 5 micron filtering?
I usually use the empty jugs and fill them up. They get full enough and I make a run and dump them all. I never believed that the savings in lubricating the injectors make much sense financially but, to each his own. As to saving $4 a fill up, on my 44 gallon tank, where I fill up could affect that by up to 20 cents a gallon and an average of 5 cents since diesel prices fluctuate wildly. Then I have to ask myself what my time is worth.

I believe someone said that they were at a 2 micron level since that is what your fuel filter is at while your motor oil filter is at a higher level. Some use centrifuges to be absolutely sure.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:39 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by aklim
I usually use the empty jugs and fill them up. They get full enough and I make a run and dump them all. I never believed that the savings in lubricating the injectors make much sense financially but, to each his own. As to saving $4 a fill up, on my 44 gallon tank, where I fill up could affect that by up to 20 cents a gallon and an average of 5 cents since diesel prices fluctuate wildly. Then I have to ask myself what my time is worth.

I believe someone said that they were at a 2 micron level since that is what your fuel filter is at while your motor oil filter is at a higher level. Some use centrifuges to be absolutely sure.
I'm running a CAT 1r-0749 fuel filter, 2 micron absolute (98% removal of 2 micron or larger)...the stock fuel filter is not near that level (20 micron nominal, I think). The FL-1995 oil filter is a 20 micron nominal if I remember correctly. CAT research shows damage to fuel system in the 5-10 micron level. I would never put used motor oil in my fuel.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:51 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 1WildPig
Do you think that using particular brands of diesel makes any difference?...like Top Tier gasoline is suppose to???
As far as I know there are no "top tier" or "premium" diesel fuel like with gasoline. If you want good diesel go to a truck stop, not the Chevron in the middle of town. Truck stops will cycle through their diesel more often keeping clean instead of letting it sit.

Also, slightly off topic.. "Premium" gasoline is not better than regular. It simply has a higher octane level. Cetane and octane are similar. Gasoline with a higher octane level is more resistant to combustion and therefor will compress more before ignition. For example, 87 octane fuel might begin igniting .001 seconds before top dead center, simply from heat from the compression and then will fully ignite with the spark. Where as 91 octane fuel would resist combustion until ignited via spark causing a more accurate and complete burn.

At least thats my understanding. Someone feel free to step in and correct me if I am wrong.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:10 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by A/Ox4
As far as I know there are no "top tier" or "premium" diesel fuel like with gasoline. If you want good diesel go to a truck stop, not the Chevron in the middle of town. Truck stops will cycle through their diesel more often keeping clean instead of letting it sit.
I thought I saw something with Premium diesel where it has a higher cetane.

Issue 55 - Technical Topics - Update on Premium Diesel

Old 01-19-2012, 08:10 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Lots of places "premium" gasoline has no ethanol which is a huge deal! If you can get gas that is ethanol free you will get better mileage, more power, and better for the motor (any motor).

We have a couple gas stations that brag "No ethanol in any of our fuels". I am very glad people are starting to see the light! Now if we can just get rid of that useless E85 and the like we will be better off.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:40 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by A/Ox4

Also, slightly off topic.. "Premium" gasoline is not better than regular. It simply has a higher octane level. Cetane and octane are similar. Gasoline with a higher octane level is more resistant to combustion and therefor will compress more before ignition. For example, 87 octane fuel might begin igniting .001 seconds before top dead center, simply from heat from the compression and then will fully ignite with the spark. Where as 91 octane fuel would resist combustion until ignited via spark causing a more accurate and complete burn.

At least thats my understanding. Someone feel free to step in and correct me if I am wrong.
Cetane rating is a value that indicates how quickly after injection the fuel will begin to ignite. The higher the number, the sooner it will ignite, and the longer it will have to completely combust. Most diesel motors will run anything over a cetane rating of 40 fairly well. The benefits to higher cetane ratings plateau over 55. Similar to octane ratings in cars, if the engine isn't built for that high a rating, there is no benefit.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:21 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, I have a question concerning fuel additives. In June, driving through Tetons, 50mph, towing 5vr, wife calls on radio (following behind) "what is wrong with your truck, it is smoking"? Yes, looked like a blown motor smoking. White smoke. Not missing or running rough. Camped, next day bought additive (Diesel Kleen), took a day or so but cleared up. I had been running DK from Houston, most tankfulls. At the time of smoking I was on second tank without additive, just hadn't bought any. Oil level 1 1/2 qts low.
Any thoughts why? I had been told a good idea to run additive, at least when towing, for all the above reasons.
Nothing like that has happened since, 195k at the time, 204 now. Almost 9k of towing last year.
Tom.
01 F250 CC 4x4 7.3.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:55 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
You probably got a bad tank of fuel.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:40 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by trekbasso
Okay, I have a question concerning fuel additives. In June, driving through Tetons, 50mph, towing 5vr, wife calls on radio (following behind) "what is wrong with your truck, it is smoking"? Yes, looked like a blown motor smoking. White smoke. Not missing or running rough. Camped, next day bought additive (Diesel Kleen), took a day or so but cleared up. I had been running DK from Houston, most tankfulls. At the time of smoking I was on second tank without additive, just hadn't bought any. Oil level 1 1/2 qts low.
Any thoughts why? I had been told a good idea to run additive, at least when towing, for all the above reasons.
Nothing like that has happened since, 195k at the time, 204 now. Almost 9k of towing last year.
Tom.
01 F250 CC 4x4 7.3.
Bad fuel maybe? I have towed about $9000 and it wasn't that bad. One day, we filled up and the car ran crappy after a bit. Dumped gas dry and it was fine. Yet another car seemed to be "fixed" by gas dry. Ran crappy, pour it in and it got better. Not sure why till one day, after driving 100 miles and it acted up and we were trying to pull into a gas station when we noticed that the trans tunnel was getting hot. Looked underneath and found a glowing red cat. Every time you fuel up and dump the gas dry, it would cool down and life would be good again. It was a beater that leaked so we thought that somehow water got into the gas.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:01 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Bad fuel is a possibility. I don't understand exactly how the injectors operate to the point of how the oil burning could happen. Pretty much freaked me out untill I realized the motor was okay. Didn't want a blown motor in Tetons with a trailer and four dogs.

The whole additive issue is so dependate on how the motor "feels". A couple of times it had a little trouble pulling up some hills, with a head wind, just happen to occur in between fill ups without doing the Diesel Kleen. Just wierd curcumstances, and me not being real familiar with the truck yet.
Around here no big deal, but will always use DK on trailer trips. Plus very easy to find on the road. I figure there is a reason everybody sells it.
Thanks.
Tom.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:35 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Bad fuel is a possibility. I don't understand exactly how the injectors operate to the point of how the oil burning could happen.
I doubt you were burning motor oil. White smoke is a sign that the temperature of combustion is too low, not burning all the fuel vapor.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:50 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
I might be open to that except it used 1 1/2 qts of oil. And not talking vapor, I mean it was blowing out smoke like a blown motor. I said white, call it bluish or whatever. It was oil smoke, I am comfortable stating that.
Doesn't use oil between its 5k changes, and didn't use any the rest of the trip. This was about a third into the trip. We went to northern Co, then back to Yellowstone, then to Oregon coast, and back to Houston. It did a lot of work after the smoke out, without any issues.
So I don't know?
Tom.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:36 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Bad fuel is a possibility. I don't understand exactly how the injectors operate to the point of how the oil burning could happen. Pretty much freaked me out untill I realized the motor was okay. Didn't want a blown motor in Tetons with a trailer and four dogs.

The whole additive issue is so dependate on how the motor "feels". A couple of times it had a little trouble pulling up some hills, with a head wind, just happen to occur in between fill ups without doing the Diesel Kleen. Just wierd curcumstances, and me not being real familiar with the truck yet.

Around here no big deal, but will always use DK on trailer trips. Plus very easy to find on the road. I figure there is a reason everybody sells it..
Depending on what was in the fuel, anything could be the matter. Without knowing that, white smoke means this, blue means that but if you get them mixed up and it is hard to see sometimes, well.....

It is dependent on how someone says a motor "feels". Sometimes we feel things that we want to feel. I can't tell you how many times I heard someone say that they changed a rear end gear and they got 30HP or that they added a larger throttle body and the car run fantastic only to find it was slower at the track with it than without. A lot of people hear the injectors being more quiet so it must be better. Why? What does the sound mean? Besides, all you are hearing is combustion noise. Injectors buzz and that is going to be difficult to hear over the violent explosion going on in the cylinders. I am not sure there is a way to say "If it sounds like this, something is good or bad" as far as the pitch and loudness WITHIN REASON.

As long as there is a buyer out there and they can make a profit, that is the reason for sale. I get you into a panic about losing your $2000 set of injectors and you will imagine that by not using my snake oil, you instantly and daily lose $2000 instead of it ending it's life a little sooner. Otherwise you can calculate the worth and might not buy my product.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:47 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Yeah, good points. With this diesel, I am one to cover my a## vs confident of what I need. I just sold a 93 Honda Accord, 310k, that still ran great. Nothing more than very regular oil changes, but I bought new so I knew all of the history.
Throw in diesel (new to me), injector system real different from gassers, talk of newer fuels from what the motor was designed around, my head spins with the learning curve.
I guess for 2-3 bucks extra a tankfull, when towing or even regular driving, seems a small price to pay, for ME.
Heck, the placebo effect is worth it! ha ha. Like the buddhist say, it is all an illusion anyway.
Tom.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:59 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

I might be open to that except it used 1 1/2 qts of oil. And not talking vapor, I mean it was blowing out smoke like a blown motor. I said white, call it bluish or whatever. It was oil smoke, I am comfortable stating that.
Doesn't use oil between its 5k changes, and didn't use any the rest of the trip. This was about a third into the trip. We went to northern Co, then back to Yellowstone, then to Oregon coast, and back to Houston. It did a lot of work after the smoke out, without any issues.
So I don't know?
Tom.
If it is a lubricity issue, how dd the oil get into the combustion chamber? How did it magically heal itself? If it did, is it similar to what used car dealers do? Dump STP or some thick crap in the oil so you don't notice that there is a lot of noise going on or the oil pressure is getting low. If it needs those snake oils, you might have a problem somewhere. Poor fuel maybe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Fuel Additive Do You Like