1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Should I change my own transmission fluid or take it to a shop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:15 PM
1L243
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The Ford Tech told me that the filter is really just a screen. There is no service interval. It just traps large debri and by then your Trans is toast anyway..

Old 01-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Dont take it to a 30 min shop, they wont do it right. Do it yourself its a piece of cake and I would do a full flush.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Dean88
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The filter is basically a screen, but as the transmissions wears there is always gonna be pieces getting caught in the filter and especially the magnet, which can old hold onto a certain amount of fine particles. Im not tryin to be an ****, but under that logic there would be no one doing oil analysis, I realize I dont currently have an auto, but if I still had one I would like an idea of how my tranny looked on the inside before I set out on a long journey.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:45 PM
1L243
Laughing Gas
Actually the 30 minute shop I take mine to does a fine job. Now I would be worried if they were pulling the pan. Years ago I had the transmisson filter replaced at a repair shop and they put the wrong filter in. (GMC) I know I was a sinner.... The little rubber grommet that the filter pushes into was the wrong size and the transmission started slipping. Luckily I was only a couple of blocks away. If they would have taken it for a test drive they would have figured it out on their own.

I don't do oil analysis either. I think the best diagnostic tool you can have is a quality Trans temp gauge. Don't rely on the one from the factory.... If you see your temps start to go up you got a problem.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:53 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
I did the flush on my newly purchased 2000 F250 just yesterday using Marks method. Pulled the pan plug and left it overnight, what drained over 2 gallons.
Than I run 5 gallons of new fluid. PO had radiator failure and old fluid was pretty milky from the coolant in it. After running 5 gallons of new fluid, the stuff coming from the hose was still milky, although got more red in it.
I only had 5 gallons of fluid, so I stopped there. Bough Walmart ATF what is Mercon V comparable for $12 a gallon.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by 1L243
The Ford Tech told me that the filter is really just a screen. There is no service interval. It just traps large debri and by then your Trans is toast anyway..

The fuel filter is just a screen... the air filter is just a screen...

Brian of BTS told me to change the filter every 30,000 miles, when you change the fluids.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:59 AM
1L243
Laughing Gas
I think there is a difference between a oil screen and a air filter or oil filter. If you look at the trans filter very thin and flat. You can tell it's not designed to do any filtering. Where a air/oil filter is designed to filter out small particles and has pleating and more surface area. It's my understanding that Ford does not recommend changing the trans filter for the life of the transmission. I don't think you can hurt anything by changing your trans filter as many times as you like.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
I think there is a difference between a oil screen and a air filter or oil filter. If you look at the trans filter very thin and flat. You can tell it's not designed to do any filtering. Where a air/oil filter is designed to filter out small particles and has pleating and more surface area. It's my understanding that Ford does not recommend changing the trans filter for the life of the transmission. I don't think you can hurt anything by changing your trans filter as many times as you like.

It has been said by many that 'Ford does not recommend changing the trans filter'. I went with this though also, for awhile, not any more. An issue that would rise up was that when a person pulled the Filter out that the o-ring would remain in the port and when the new Filter was put in it would tend to fall out after pan was put on, because of the obstruction in the port. Hence, the 'leave it alone' than have a novice take the chance of not putting it in correctly. This is what was told to me when I asked about 'Ford does not recommend changing the Filter'by BTS.....

Old 01-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
... They do not drop the pan and I prefer it that way.
Same with me. I only drop the pan once every 100k or so simply to change that OEM filter. The pan bolt threads seem a bit on the delicate side and they can strip out easily especially when using a torque wrench. Maybe I am doing something wrong there...

I change my fluid every 30-35k and install a new Magnafine inline filter at each flush. I send a sample to the lab every 16k as well. I seem to be having good results so far so I'll keep doing it that way unless I begin to have problems.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:26 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There is also a valve body screen. On a high mileage tranny it would be a good idea to change it or at least clean it.
Unfortunately it can only be accessed by removing the valve body.

Attached Images   
Old 01-11-2012, 12:26 PM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
Same with me. I only drop the pan once every 100k or so simply to change that OEM filter. The pan bolt threads seem a bit on the delicate side and they can strip out easily especially when using a torque wrench. Maybe I am doing something wrong there...

I change my fluid every 30-35k and install a new Magnafine inline filter at each flush. I send a sample to the lab every 16k as well. I seem to be having good results so far so I'll keep doing it that way unless I begin to have problems.
If your in the wrong them I am right there with you. I do pretty much the same thing, except I don't send off for the analysis but I do run a magnefine and change it and the fluid (Super tech Dex/Merc with 2 bottles of lubegard) on 30k intervals, I won't drop the pan until 100k. Stripping the bolts on the thermostat neck and busting up a few filter heads has me a little gun shy.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:27 PM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
There is also a valve body screen. On a high mileage tranny it would be a good idea to change it or at least clean it. But it can only be accessed by removng the valve body.
Wow, good stuff...I would send you reps but the rep cop is blocking me.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:38 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rufushusky
Wow, good stuff...I would send you reps but the rep cop is blocking me.
It's the thought that counts.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:43 PM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
unless you guys have aftermarket converters i would stay far away from synthetic atf

Old 01-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Brother Les
[IMG] 'Ford does not recommend changing the Filter'by BTS.....
Ford doesn't recommend changing the filter because the filter won't get enough junk in it to need changing unless the trans was already destroyed. It has nothing to do with the Oring.

Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
There is also a valve body screen. On a high mileage tranny it would be a good idea to change it or at least clean it.
Unfortunately it can only be accessed by removing the valve body.
That screen is designed to screen out machining chips that don't get cleaned up during manufacture. There is no need to replace that screen if it is ever removed. Once the trans has a few miles on it you don't need that screen any longer.

Originally Posted by nhill2090
unless you guys have aftermarket converters i would stay far away from synthetic atf
Why is that? I don't know anything about that, please enlighten me.

Quick Reply: Should I change my own transmission fluid or take it to a shop?