Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fender rot / covers ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 07:26 AM
rquinlans
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fender rot / covers ?

have the usual inch or 1 1/2 inches of fender rot on a 93 f 150. Have looked at flares and trim pcs but cant tell on most of them how much of the rot they will cover. Any one used some that fit the bill. Any info appreciated

Old 01-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Thumper19
Elder User
Dont just cover it. Cut out the old inner fender wells and clean it all up from the inside. Cut out all the nasty areas clean and go to a junkyard and find a decent truck with good fenders and weld back in.

From there you can build your own inner fenders, as what I'm doing and it shouldwork out nicely

Old 01-10-2012, 01:11 PM
rquinlans
Junior User
its just my work truck , a good one but not worth that level of restoration

Old 02-17-2012, 12:57 AM
BoomTown96
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THREAD RESURRECTED
I also have the usaual rot on the rear fenders of my 93 Bronco. Being new to trucks when I first looked at it I figured I was just cut out the rusted area and install fender flares. I didnt realize how aggressive/wide cut-out flares were and im not looking for something huge. Basically I want to avoid spending money on having patch panels welded in just to cover it up with fender flares.
So are there any flares that can be attached without them being huge and without needing the mounting points of the stock trim? Can someone give me an idea of how much it might cost to have two quarter panel patches welded in with/without paint?(I live in Northern Virginia just south of DC) Obviously theres a lot that depends on the cost but I don't know a thing about welding.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 378 Likes on 284 Posts
Well the patch panels are cheap. Just call around to a few local shops and ask them. Thats what I do for things I can't do myself.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:04 AM
Crewdawg141
New User
Originally Posted by BoomTown96
THREAD RESURRECTED
I also have the usaual rot on the rear fenders of my 93 Bronco. Being new to trucks when I first looked at it I figured I was just cut out the rusted area and install fender flares. I didnt realize how aggressive/wide cut-out flares were and im not looking for something huge. Basically I want to avoid spending money on having patch panels welded in just to cover it up with fender flares.
So are there any flares that can be attached without them being huge and without needing the mounting points of the stock trim? Can someone give me an idea of how much it might cost to have two quarter panel patches welded in with/without paint?(I live in Northern Virginia just south of DC) Obviously theres a lot that depends on the cost but I don't know a thing about welding.
I am in a similar boat as you, I just purchased a 1994 F250 Plow truck that has a lot more damage than was advertised in the auction (online). I am hunting for a donor truck to swap out a lot of rusted parts. I could get through MD Inspection with fender flares but as was stated in another post the issue needs a permanent fix, especially if you plan on keeping the truck for a little while. It it is not too much of an inconvenience for you I would be looking into places beyond Manassas for cheaper pricing on a welded repair.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Blue Rebel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have Xenon flares on my truck, and they cover the rot up completely above the rear wheelwells, but my front fenders are too far gone to be covered:

Old 02-17-2012, 12:37 PM
jitterymonkey
Junior User
That's a good looking truck Ya got there Blue Rebel.

Gotta agree with the others who said to not just cover it up with fender flares... get it fixed right.
Every vehicle I've had with fender flares & even side molding trapped/hid the salt & sludge causing them to rot even faster.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:31 PM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
I need some new wheel arches welded in, there's also an inner support that rusts out behind the wheel well that should be replaced as well. The patch panels are cheap, but I'm not sure how much it would cost to have a shop weld them in.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:40 PM
ravens fan
Senior User
i have fender flares covering up my rust but do not know what kind they are they were on their when i got the truck.....and it makes complete sense for one they can make your truck look rust free and dang good....and ive seen so many hideous patch jobs of the rear fenders it isnt even funny or of course a new bed but that is alot of work and money

Old 02-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you can cut the rusty area out and get some paint on the bare edges, it should help slow the rust down. Then put the flares over it. Not the perfect way, but as long as the rusty metal is gone and the rest is coated with paint it should not rust further.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:54 PM
Crewdawg141
New User
Originally Posted by ravens fan
i have fender flares covering up my rust but do not know what kind they are they were on their when i got the truck.....and it makes complete sense for one they can make your truck look rust free and dang good....and ive seen so many hideous patch jobs of the rear fenders it isnt even funny or of course a new bed but that is alot of work and money
If I thought that I could get around a MD State Inspection with just flares I would do that just so I could drive my truck instead of trailering to different places.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:01 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
+2 on fixing it right. The rust will never go away and will only get worst until you cut it out and replace it with good metal. Now with that being said I did cover my up with flares for the time being. You can check out the pics about half way down page 3 of my build thread
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...0-build-3.html
I will pull these off in a few years, when I have more time for a good prep job and full repaint, and burn in some new steel.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Crewdawg141
New User
Originally Posted by jokerforever
+2 on fixing it right. The rust will never go away and will only get worst until you cut it out and replace it with good metal. Now with that being said I did cover my up with flares for the time being. You can check out the pics about half way down page 3 of my build thread
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...0-build-3.html
I will pull these off in a few years, when I have more time for a good prep job and full repaint, and burn in some new steel.

I would try the fender flare mod that you performed, except after looking at my rust bucket when I got home from work a 2" flare will not cover it. I am waiting for an auction next month where I found a good donor vehicle from NC that will help me fix a lot of my issues. I am still looking for a cheaper floor pan as the drivers floor is rusted out and the passenger side needs a little attention too.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:30 PM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

If you're going to cover up the rust make sure you clean out the really bad, loose stuff, hit it with some rust converter and paint over it. That'll slow it down otherwise the flares will be falling off in a year or two. If you can't mount them because of rust holes where the mounts are then see if you can find a shop to do a quick repair. Who cares what it looks like, as long as it's behind the flare you'll never see it.

Quick Reply: fender rot / covers ?