1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

2012 Great Smokey Mtn F100 Run - Pigeon Forge, TN

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 10:10 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Schuyles
I am looking from the far end to the end nearest the hotel/road. There were good vibes there, just not too many people.
Wow, I never went to that end, didn't realize that the trees hide the hotel buildings from there.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:30 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Just for discussion, not that it matters, the deed was done. Why, if an event is held on private hotel property, does the hotel need a permit? Or would this event utilize city property and come under the bureaucratic controls of "big city" And what constitutes the need for a permit for any gathering of like minded folks? Where and what is this permit requirement? Had the event been scheduled at Townsend and had I known about it I would have attended.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
Just for discussion, not that it matters, the deed was done. Why, if an event is held on private hotel property, does the hotel need a permit? Or would this event utilize city property and come under the bureaucratic controls of "big city" And what constitutes the need for a permit for any gathering of like minded folks? Where and what is this permit requirement? Had the event been scheduled at Townsend and had I known about it I would have attended.
I agree. The whole thing sounds fishy. As far as a permit, even if it was indeed needed, when was the last time you saw the city of Pigeon Forge turn down or delay an event like that, especially a repeat annual event? It just doesn't add up. Plus I'd HIGHLY doubt the police would have vacated the lot even if there had been a delay in the permit. Heck, look at the Rod Run that happens twice a year, the ENTIRE city gets turned into a big massive car show.

I'll shut up now, because I probably don't know what I'm talking about. Maybe the guys who attended will be able to fill us in once they get back home.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:17 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Doc
I agree. The whole thing sounds fishy. As far as a permit, even if it was indeed needed, when was the last time you saw the city of Pigeon Forge turn down or delay an event like that, especially a repeat annual event? It just doesn't add up. Plus I'd HIGHLY doubt the police would have vacated the lot even if there had been a delay in the permit. Heck, look at the Rod Run that happens twice a year, the ENTIRE city gets turned into a big massive car show.

I'll shut up now, because I probably don't know what I'm talking about. Maybe the guys who attended will be able to fill us in once they get back home.
I can't speak for this event, but I do know that the F100 Supernational, the Rod Runs and the Shades of the Past are all required to have permits from the city. Over the winter the PF city council fielded several complaints from citizens and several business' about the Rod runs and the Shades of the Past. Based on those complaints the city did institute some new regulations, however I don't know just what they are.

Commission to look at car shows

The Mountain Press - EDITORIAL On the right track Pigeon Forge heading in right direction in forming group to brainstorm about car shows

Old 06-24-2012, 12:31 PM
55F250
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't count, but I'd say 50 or less...and one c10!
I see things ain't changed since I went in 1987, couldn't understand how this event could be called "F100 Supernationals" and allow non FORD to enter, I lost "most unusal truck" to a dodge, haven't been to one since.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 55F250
I see things ain't changed since I went in 1987, couldn't understand how this event could be called "F100 Supernationals" and allow non FORD to enter, I lost "most unusal truck" to a dodge, haven't been to one since.
The "F100 Supernationals" happened back in May. This thread is about the Great Smoky Mountain show (as indicated in the title of the thread).

Old 06-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Lance Hogan
More Turbo

Doc,

I was told that Stanley forgot to get the permit last year and the city of Pigeon Forge issued him an emergency permit to allow last year's SM F100 Show to go on.

This year, the city would not issue an emergency permit because the error was repeated. Further, the police were on site ready to issue situations. Again, this is what I was told as I was not there.

Originally Posted by Doc

Old 06-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Lance Hogan
Doc,

I was told that Stanley forgot to get the permit last year and the city of Pigeon Forge issued him an emergency permit to allow last year's SM F100 Show to go on.

This year, the city would not issue an emergency permit because the error was repeated. Further, the police were on site ready to issue situations. Again, this is what I was told as I was not there.
WOW! I feel sorry for the poor folks who planned their vacation around that show and lost money on their room, etc. Times are hard enough as it is. I'd say this will be the death of that particular show, and it was obviously the favorite among the FTE'ers it seemed. I've been to Townsend, it's a nice laid-back place with some green grass and some shade.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:02 PM
55F250
Tuned
Originally Posted by Doc
The "F100 Supernationals" happened back in May. This thread is about the Great Smoky Mountain show (as indicated in the title of the thread).
Still has "F100" in the title, both allowed non FORD into meet, both at pigeon forge.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:49 PM
old uhaul
Senior User
I arrived at the show on Wednesday night and was told there was a permit issue.Thursday morning we were told the permit was denied and about an hour later that it was being moved to Townsend.
We all headed over there and had a great time.The location was excellent and all the people who decided to stay had a wonderful time.The Kentucky/Indiana crew and Ohio crew,just to name a few,made it a great show.
Anyone who didnt attend missed a really wonderful time.
Townsend is an excellent place to have the F100 run and cant wait untill next year.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:55 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Still has "F100" in the title, both allowed non FORD into meet, both at pigeon forge.
Your original complaint was about the Supernational in 1987. The GSM run did not exist in 87, and in the ones I have attended I have not seen any non Ford trucks. I agree with you on the Supernational, but you are off base concerning this show.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey man, I feel your pain. That sucks you lost to a dodge, doesn't seem right!

I will say that I doubt the F100 Supernationals would let an off brand in, but at the show this weekend, it was really more like a big gathering and real laid back. The C10 kind of fit right in. But I agree he shouldn't win an award...haha.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:04 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Hey man, I feel your pain. That sucks you lost to a dodge, doesn't seem right!

I will say that I doubt the F100 Supernationals would let an off brand in, but at the show this weekend, it was really more like a big gathering and real laid back. The C10 kind of fit right in. But I agree he shouldn't win an award...haha.
The Supernationals have let other makes in under the guise of 'rat rods' for several years. Do you know if the C10 was actually entered in the show, or could it have been just another guest at the hotel?

Old 06-25-2012, 06:44 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by old uhaul
I arrived at the show on Wednesday night and was told there was a permit issue.Thursday morning we were told the permit was denied and about an hour later that it was being moved to Townsend.
We all headed over there and had a great time.The location was excellent and all the people who decided to stay had a wonderful time.The Kentucky/Indiana crew and Ohio crew,just to name a few,made it a great show.
Anyone who didnt attend missed a really wonderful time.
Townsend is an excellent place to have the F100 run and cant wait untill next year.

I'm glad you added us OHIO boys to the list!

I spoke to Stanley and I said "as bad as it seems this is what it takes to sometimes have great things happen". I feel this was a GREAT turn of events for this show. I loved it there!

Old 06-25-2012, 07:50 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Your original complaint was about the Supernational in 1987. The GSM run did not exist in 87, and in the ones I have attended I have not seen any non Ford trucks. I agree with you on the Supernational, but you are off base concerning this show.
Out of the 4 or 5 Super Nationals I attended, I've never see a non-Ford product at the show.

Quick Reply: 2012 Great Smokey Mtn F100 Run - Pigeon Forge, TN